BSOD, but only with Richard Burns Rally

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello all.

I've been getting this BSOD error message on more than one occasion:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

but only with Richard Burns Rally. Other than with this game, my PC doesn't crash much, let alone give out the BSOD. I've got the game patched to the latest version and my sound/gfx drivers are all up to date. Anyone know why it's doing this with just this one game and can BSOD errors be damaging to your PC?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I'd ask the Richard Burns Rally forum, but it's down and has been so for several days.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
These usually come up with a file, too, don't they? That should tell you which driver is conflicting, probably graphics. I've heard disabling ACPI reduces the incidence of some of these errors.

The other thing to know about drivers is that having the newest isn't always the whole answer. For one, when you update your drivers, it is recommended that you ensure the old driver is completely uninstalled. This includes files that remain after the uninstall process. You can use a program such as Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner to remove these remaining items. It is a simple process, but easier done automatically. The other important thing is that sometimes an older driver works better for you. Experts recommend you only update your drivers if something is wrong. You can poke around sometimes to discover what driver version is popular.

Usually, the newest driver has the most bug fixes, but sometimes they create additional bugs.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
If you send me the mini dump file created after the restart of windows i may be able to inform you of the probable driver causing the fault.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I have no idea where that file is located, if you can tell me then I'll send it to you.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Right click on my computer, click search and type this %SystemRoot%\Minidump

Open the folder that appears, and paste the mini dumps of when the game crashed, use the date of the mini dump to remember when it happened.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I found the mini-dump files (DMP), but when I opened the last one (today's) with notepad, it just displayed a load of unreadable symbols and stuff, is this what you want me to paste?

I tried to upload the actual file itself, but I got a message that said 'invalid file'.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I tried to upload the actual file itself, but I got a message that said 'invalid file'.
zipitve2.jpg

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Duh....should've thought of that!! :o Thanks!

Here it is:

Attachments

• Mini022008-01.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Duh....should've thought of that!! :o Thanks!

Here it is:

Ok mate, its been a while since i have done this but ill see what i can find out for you. Excluding hardware, i would have thought its likely to be a graphics driver issue.

Ok after a quick analysis i think it may be something to do with your sound card drivers.

Do you have some model of creative sound card?

If so, please un-install all creative driver files/sound blaster/x-fi from add/remove program's.

Then Download this
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Once downloaded, install it and reboot into safe mode. Once in safe mode, find the program file in my computer/C;/programfiles/driver cleaner etc etc.

Run it and select Creative Audio, then tick select multiple cleaning filters, and select Creative Audio Light. Click start and ok to clean. Restart your pc in normal mode.

Follow this link, and download the latest drivers that refer to the sound card you have installed on your pc.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Run the installer. Restart your pc. Play the game.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Ok mate, its been a while since i have done this but ill see what i can find out for you. Excluding hardware, i would have thought its likely to be a graphics driver issue.

Ok after a quick analysis i think it may be something to do with your sound card drivers.

Do you have some model of creative sound card?

If so, please un-install all creative driver files/sound blaster/x-fi from add/remove program's.

Then Download this
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Once downloaded, install it and reboot into safe mode. Once in safe mode, find the program file in my computer/C;/programfiles/driver cleaner etc etc.

Run it and select Creative Audio, then tick select multiple cleaning filters, and select Creative Audio Light. Click start and ok to clean. Restart your pc in normal mode.

Follow this link, and download the latest drivers that refer to the sound card you have installed on your pc.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Run the installer. Restart your pc. Play the game.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks for your help, but as all other games seem fine, I'm slightly nervous about fiddling with my sound driver for just this one game. But as you said the problem is likely down to sound, would it make any difference if I were to run without EAX enabled?

Users who are viewing this thread