Cricket Leagues for Dummies (and new members)

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just a small judgement needed @The Author, since you are one of the oldest and most recognized and also a great league organizer. I just wanted you to judge me with where I'm going in improving. From my first league, to my second league, then to my third league.
You've got what it takes.
  • In your first league, you've got things pretty organised, but are perhaps a little too eager to please - getting the thread up before you've got everything you want prepared, and perhaps not being firm enough with managers.
  • In your second, you've got things ship-shape. It's very organised, and the workload you put in is excellent. Your overlay isn't great, but that's a very minor detail.
  • In your third, you're top-notch. Innovative yet well-known idea, clever squads, you've clearly found a sim that works, and you've put together a really pretty overlay too. If both of your leagues run to a natural conclusion, you'll be one of the top few league managers on this site.
I have only these three pieces of advice:
  • Be careful with your workload. You're running three leagues at once and running them well, which isn't an easy thing to do. I always try to run only one league at a time, although sometimes I can't help myself.
  • Find your own style. I've found my set format for posting matches, and it saves an incredible amount of time. If everything goes to plan, I can sim a match and post it in five minutes. This makes it much easier to fit in managing a league around my real life.
  • Do what you want to do. Do not take people's requests unless you feel genuinely enthusiastic about them. You're a good enough manager to attract sign-ups to pretty much any kind of league.
Oh, and one other thing - you might want to think about a change to your username. If you have something a little more personal, then it's more likely that people associate it with league management. For instance "VC" = leagues, "Pranav" = graphics, "StinkyBoHoon" = reasoned debate without capital letters. "shoaibakhtar" = Shoaib Akhtar. Of course, you don't have to do that at all, it's just a thought I had.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Thank you very much for the advise. and by the way I'm only running two leagues. My first league has been shut down because of inactiveness of the managers.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't know how the league section is faring, but I have something to say. As long as the influx of new interested members continues, the Leagues Section will never run out of activity. There are often going to be times when the activity drops, but believe me, it nearly always picks back up to at least the normal levels. The key is to adjust the working of your league according to the activity of the forum. If there aren't enough managers to take the teams, reduce the number of teams. If the schedule is proving to be too long, curtail it. Tinker around with ideas. Keep it slow. Times of dormant activity are the ones where you get to experiment the most and make an impact on the section. I'm sure there have been a plethora of ideas still left unexplored, especially with up and coming simulators in DBC and Cricket Heroes on the rise. All the best to everyone! I hope to find some time and test out a few of my ideas too.

Greninja

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
I was making ram slam t20 league but i have to stop it as I didn't read this before starting now I am searching for a league should I also make a international league @The Author

Aislabie

Ireland
I was making ram slam t20 league but i have to stop it as I didn't read this before starting now I am searching for a league should I also make a international league @The Author

Only make a league if you have the knowledge to run it well and the enthusiasm to keep it going until the end. If you want to start an international league, that's fine, but there are quite a few of those at the minute. You could also start a Premier League, but that would require quite a lot of knowledge of domestic players (if you have that knowledge, then go right ahead). Probably the easiest thing to do is a PC league, where members take part as players. Perhaps a Border-Gavaskar trophy or similar? PM me if you want, and I'll help you out :thumbs

And remember - your first league will never be perfect. Mine wasn't!

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
I would suggest you to run an International league. A tri-series (ODI)would be good enough as it has only 3 teams and no drafts.

@The Author : PC players league is not so encouraged as I have seen the lack of interest of members in it.

A small trio like

Team 1 v Team 2
Team 2 v Team 3
Team 3 v Team 1
Final

It looks too small but good enough if you are willing to complete you first league.

And make sure you don't bring in vCash stuff.

Aislabie

Ireland
I would suggest you to run an International league. A tri-series (ODI)would be good enough as it has only 3 teams and no drafts.

PC players league is not so encouraged as I have seen the lack of interest of members in it.

It looks too small but good enough if you are willing to complete you first league.

A small international league would probably work, but if you want to do something simple and effective I'd still recommend a league involving PC members. If you go with something simple, like the Border-Gavaskar Trophy (as Australia and India are the two most represented countries on these forums) then you could make it work very well, very easily.

PC member leagues will fizzle out if they don't keep moving, or if they are too large. If you keep the league moving, it's simple and easy to do

Aislabie

Ireland
Greetings all. I have been procrastinating for the last day or so, and have perfected a rankings formula for those of you obsessive enough to create player rankings for your leagues.

I used the Legends At Battle league by @VC the slogger to test the formulae, and I'm pleased to say that it spits out good results:

LAB V - Group Stage - Batting Rankings
Minimum qualification - 300 runs

:aus: Don Bradman | 534
:saf: Barry Richards|477
:wi: Frank Worrell|420
:saf: Graeme Pollock|407
:wi: Brian Lara|388
:ind: Sachin Tendulkar|375
:aus: Doug Walters|374
:aus: Mark Waugh|366
:ind: Virender Sehwag|356
:aus: Adam Gilchrist|338

Furthermore, this rankings system can be applied to all forms of cricket and to both batsmen and bowlers, owing to the way that it balance the importance of strike rate and average respectively.

Attachments

• Rankings Calculator.xlsx
    17.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread