New Zealand Tour of the West Indies - June-August 2012

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I really hope by the end of the day, New Zealand have lost 3-4 wickets, give West Indies strong chance to win

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
My thoughts on things so far:

- Wagner is a good bowler. He has decent pace and accuracy and he can swing it. The scrambled seam is something he has to work on, but with time and practice he will get there.

- Boult is also very promising. I prefer him to Wagner, actually.

- I've seen Martin before, but I'm always amazed at how much hang time he seems to get when he jumps into his delivery stride. Fazeer Mohammed said it best on television, it's like slow-motion in real time. And when they show him walking back to his mark, he literally seems to be bouncing. Sweet.

- Narine will factor into the final day a lot, but I'm still not sure that he should be playing Test cricket just yet. He has shown that he will bowl the ball with more flight and a little slower than he does in limited overs. But...something in me just says...too early.

- Darren Sammy might have an excellent cricketing mind, but he needs to show a bit more of it from time to time.

- Kemar Roach needs to lose a finger for every no-ball he sends down. Painfully.

- I don't see Rampaul being picked for the next Test, unfortunately. He seems to have lost the form he was in earlier this year. He just doesn't look like the same bowler. Of course that puts us into some trouble, because if I was a selector I'd drop Roach as well. That leaves Tino Best and...hmm...who? I'd love to see Fidel Edwards get a game. But both of them opening the bowling would be expensive. I can see top batsmen taking them for 5 an over easily. If the two of them play, I would like to see Sammy opening at one end, with the two outright pacers bowling at the other end.

- 90 overs is a lot of time. We'd probably get Wagner out early. But then we'd have to get Williamson, Taylor, and Vettori out cheaply to stand a chance of getting a win. If we can pick up 2 more wickets in the first session for 50- 60 runs, I'd say we can push hard for the win in the other two sessions. We have the batting to get 120 runs in a session, easily.

- I really felt for Vettori today, bowling for most of the time without any success. He just is not the same bowler. I would like to see Nethula (spelled it right, guys?) play in the next game. He looks like a good bowler so far. Nathan McCullum is pretty good too, and...well, Williamson will no doubt be a good partnership breaker it seems.

Chewie

BCCI President
Most people from what I've read have the same feelings on Wagner v Boult. I haven't actually watched any of it to see how Wagner bowls though

jacobfelix

International Coach
Spot the Player

Spot the ball
:p

qck_20120728_213045.jpg

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
the game has come alive with roach's two wickets, wagner is still hanging in there, didn't think he was a batsmen at all

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Great job Kemar Roach. Doing exactly what a strike bowlers should do. Started of the day brilliantly for the WI and ended it well too.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Come on West Indies a well deserved win. Gayle please finish it in style

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Kemar Roach has the most wickets by a fastbowler this year. The 3 guys ahead of him are Ajmal, Herath and Swann. Hopefully this continues for him. He has put in plenty of hard work and its paying off.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Well played West Indies, Sunil Narine turns out to be the man of the match, should have been Gayle in my opinion, after a great comeback and over 200 runs in one test

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Interesting game really, Ross Taylor was right to be happy with the Kiwi top order: being around 2/200 in each innings. It's weird because usually NZ scores more in their bottom half than the top. I wonder if some attacking intent on that last day might have helped NZ - try and push the field back and make the bowlers/captain think. Taylor, Brownlie and Wagner were all painfully slow - Wagner is excusable but the other 2 not so much. NZ batted for almost 236 overs in the match - that should be enough not to lose, but WI got the same amount of runs in about 50 overs less.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Daniel Vettori's test future?

I remember when S Africa toured NZ earlier this year, i heard a few NZ fans questioning Vettori's long term future in the test team. What the view now i wonder?

I would join the crew after watching his performance in this test, his bowling looked really ineffective. Accurate - but lacking special deliveries to prize out test batsmen. He probably has retired from the wrong format i fear.

NZ pace-bowling stocks look fairly decent i'd say and if they build, they can certainly be potent in seamer friendly conditions. Whenever Ryder comes back, this could be a fairly solid test XI:

Guptil
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Brownlie
Watling
Bracewell
Wagner
Martin/Southee/Gillespie
Bolt

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- I agree that Roach is an excellent bowler, and he works really hard. He deserves his success. He seemed to work on his no-ball issue overnight and only delivered one no-ball today I think. More work is still needed, because he is a wicket-taker.

- Still don't want Narine playing Test cricket yet. But the guy is good. He could be better, though. Remember Ajantha Mendis...

- I do not agree with most of the man-of-the-match awards given in cricket for...years. The MotM is supposed to be given, in my opinion, to the best performance in the context of the match situation during which that performance happened. Roach would have gotten it by that definition...seeing as that if not for his performance at that particular time, the match would have probably been a draw. Also, I disagree with the all-too-common practice of giving the MotM to a player from the winning team. A century amidst a bunch of teens and twenties in a losing cause beats a forty in a winning performance.

- WE WON! YEAH! Sorry, doesn't happen too often. The corner that we've been turning for the past...10 years is actually a roundabout.

- I say push Wagner up the order. He can open, even. See off the new ball and play defensively as he has been doing an excellent job of.

- Word is that several of the NZ team will be fit for the next match. If Watling comes in I'd put him in place of Van Wyk. Brownlie is dropped without a second thought, allowing Boult to play. Swap Dan "the man" with Nethula. Jamaica has slowed up considerably over the years, but it remains the best pitch in the Caribbean for bounce. The first and second days in particular will be good for the seamers, but the batsmen will be able to trust the bounce. From the third day that bounce will start to get a little bit uneven and the spinners are going to come into play a little bit more. So...having four seamers for NZ plus a spinner who actually spins the ball will be good. Plus, Gayle is classically weak against left-arm seam early on. He will always be a bunny to Chaminda Vaas, to the point of not opening the batting against Vaas and having Ramdin open with Devon Smith a few years back.

- Damn, long thought above there...

- It's funny how much "technical difficulties" the local TV station experiences in their cricket coverage. We had no TV coverage from the rain delay until the end of the match. I had to go into the shady corners of the internet (or as I call it, the second page of a Google search) to get a stream. From India. Which was perfect. PERFECT. India gets a more stable signal from the Caribbean than the Caribbean gets from the Caribbean. Oh, the words I'd like to use.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I always agree with playing Nethula. Guy smashed it for my old club in London as our 1st XI overseas player and was a top guy to boot.

Owzat

International Coach
Bit surprised the windies forced a win, I thought this would peter out into a draw. And with the kiwis at 170/1 in their 2nd innings there was no reason to think it wouldn't be, lost their last nine wickets for 102 runs.

Don't see that the nightwatchman worked in either innings, he hung around a long time in the 2nd innings but the batsmen he was protecting didn't do much. All the nightwatchman means is the 'protected' batsmen face a fresh bowling attack in morning conditions while starting on nought....................... I think I'd rather face a flagging attack TYVM

Users who are viewing this thread