New Zealand in South Africa - Dec - Jan 2012/13

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It was just great to see our guys show some fight. That's normally what we've been associated with, and after the tests that was a really impressive performance.

Our ODI team just looks so much better than our test team as well. Like if you put Taylor, Ryder, Vettori, and Southee in there there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to beat top teams on a consistent basis.

Guptill
Ryder
Watling
Taylor
Williamson
B McCullum
Franklin
N McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Southee

And then there's a host of fringe players who've already stepped up at the limited overs level when given an opportunity, like McClenaghan, Hira, Boult, etc. Although it's fair to say that they've all been in the bowling department, so the major test will be whether we're able to get that top seven on the park at the same time.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dunno about having both NcCullum and Franklin in our "best" team, especially when that side you've posted has only two seamers really

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Dunno about having both NcCullum and Franklin in our "best" team, especially when that side you've posted has only two seamers really

Fair point. Vettori's probably not going to play ODIs again until the World Cup (if he's fit then), so put like McClenaghan or Boult in there for him. In the team today we only really had two proper seamers anyway. Franklin just happened to bowl alright (on another day he might've gone for a few), and Neesham and Elliott only bowled five overs between them.

Franklin's a match winner in limited overs cricket on his day, so I'd have him there from the perspective that we're never going to be favourites, but if he comes off then we can produce some upsets. I've always been a fan of NcCullum, I'm not sure why. I just think he's a good all-rounder cricketer, and we saw last night that he's probably the best outfielder that we have, as well as being able to chip in with both bat and ball. If we're going towards this "bits and pieces" team that we had at times over the last decade when we could bat down to 10 (or even 11 sometimes), then I'd have them both there. (For obvious reasons I wouldn't have Franklin in the test team though)

Chewie

BCCI President
I don't mind NcCullum in T20s, but his ODI record isn't that great at all, and he's hardly ever achieved much with the bat

Chewie

BCCI President
AB out for the last two ODIs lol

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-new-zealand-2013/content/current/story/601487.html

South Africa will be without their ODI captain, AB de Villiers, for the rest of the series against New Zealand. De Villiers was suspended for two matches after a slow over rate in the first one-dayer in Paarl while the entire South Africa team were fined 100% of their match fees. Faf du Plessis will lead the side in de Villiers' absence and Dolphins batsman David Miller has been called up as a replacement batsman.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I don't mind NcCullum in T20s, but his ODI record isn't that great at all, and he's hardly ever achieved much with the bat

He's got the same amount of ODI 50s as Vettori in only 15% of the matches. Yes his batting is great, but an average of 21 at a S/R of 84 is very handy coming in down the order, especially in situations like the other day where we're in trouble. I think with both him and Williamson that there's enough in the spin department if one of them has an off day, like McCullum did with the ball the other day. Still an E/R of 4.9 is pretty handy when you consider that he's normally bowling with five men on the inner circle and four men on the rope, and even at times he bowls in the powerplays. I'd be Hira that'd be replacing him, and I think that McCullum just edges him in all three departments.

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
It was just great to see our guys show some fight. That's normally what we've been associated with, and after the tests that was a really impressive performance.

Our ODI team just looks so much better than our test team as well. Like if you put Taylor, Ryder, Vettori, and Southee in there there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to beat top teams on a consistent basis.

Guptill
Ryder
Watling
Taylor
Williamson
B McCullum
Franklin
N McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Southee

And then there's a host of fringe players who've already stepped up at the limited overs level when given an opportunity, like McClenaghan, Hira, Boult, etc. Although it's fair to say that they've all been in the bowling department, so the major test will be whether we're able to get that top seven on the park at the same time.

No Bracewell ??:eek:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
No Bracewell ??:eek:

No, he's very average at limited overs cricket. Tbh I'd probably be dropping him from the test team as well unless it's a green pitch, since his average has been like 60 outside his first few matches.

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
New Zealand going well, a typical ODI hundred by Kane Williamson :cheers
Hope they finish it by 300+ :thumbs

Hero of 1st ODI "McLaren" geting smashed everywhere :p

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Great Innings by Williamson,finally he's getting some runs.A very good finish in the end after a bit of a collapse in the middle.NZL can seriously challenge SA now.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Did SA choke again?

Brilliant inning from Kane Williamson even though NZ did make a mess in the last 10 overs but they fielded very well.

Users who are viewing this thread