ICC Board Member
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - E3 2013 Trailer:
Demo Release Date:September 11th
Looking great,been a fan of PES just after a two month play of PES 13.

Last edited by a moderator:

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
As usual gameplay will be a bullshit when compared to FIFA.
That's actually opposite of what you've said.
FIFA's gameplay is nothing as compared to PES'.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Robotic. No chance this has better gameplay but hats of to the graphics.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
Opinions differ lads,anyway hope to test the demo soon.That will clear it out whether I should go for PES/FIFA or both.Lets hope both of them turn out to be good which should engage us for a longer time.:)

D

Deleted member 9102

PES has much more tactical depth and is much more realistic in terms of how moves are built in and around the box as well as the variety in the goals you see. The new engine should bring nice improvements, eagerly anticipating the demo.

FIFA is smoother visually (better animations), and the licenses are nice but the gameplay doesn't feel like football - the fundamentals are all wrong. It's OK for arcadey fun in short bursts, especially in multiplayer Clubs, but there's no substance/realism to the gameplay.

In gameplay the difference between PES and FIFA i like the difference between Battlefield and Call of Duty - CoD is so popular because it's easy to pick up and play, mindless "run 'n' gun" based on reactions and repeating set patterns of play wins the game... Battlefield requires more thought and analysis on the game situation as to how to adapt your approach to succeed, it's a tougher game to play but has much more depth...

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
PES has much more tactical depth and is much more realistic in terms of how moves are built in and around the box as well as the variety in the goals you see. The new engine should bring nice improvements, eagerly anticipating the demo.

FIFA is smoother visually (better animations), and the licenses are nice but the gameplay doesn't feel like football - the fundamentals are all wrong. It's OK for arcadey fun in short bursts, especially in multiplayer Clubs, but there's no substance/realism to the gameplay.

In gameplay the difference between PES and FIFA i like the difference between Battlefield and Call of Duty - CoD is so popular because it's easy to pick up and play, mindless "run 'n' gun" based on reactions and repeating set patterns of play wins the game... Battlefield requires more thought and analysis on the game situation as to how to adapt your approach to succeed, it's a tougher game to play but has much more depth...
Can't agree more,exactly my views.:thumbs

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I am just a very casual player of the football game and maybe my views on gameplay wont be great, maybe the license, smooth graphics makes me feel FIFA is better :)

D

Deleted member 9102

FIFA definitely does certain things better, making it the more fun game for a large number of people - I've had some great fun in FIFA 13 competing against and teaming up with friends.

You should at least give the demo of PES 14 a fair shot though - I'm quite optimistic that it could win back a few fans. Back in the PS2 days up until PES6, PES was regarded as the superior game by a massive margin by most people, even by reviewers and casual players... Konami have made some disappointing PES editions recently (2008-2010, 2012) but they proved that they are capable of producing quality football games.

To get the most out of them requires some tactics, but nothing too advanced - for example when struggling for a goal something as simple as subbing on a big striker, getting supporting runs going and chucking in early crosses for him to head down can succeed where through balls down the middle are failing (e.g. against a team with fast defenders).

SambarVadai

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Well imo the new gameplay engine,the real ball physics and stuffs,PES may beat FIFA to death this year...PES is going to be a lot more fun this year..Who cares about licenses..Patches roll out for every game...1 will roll out for this too..PES has always been greater than FIFA..although I didnt like PES' gameplay that much..my views changed after I tried PES 2013...FIFA is nothing as compared to PES.

(Opinions may vary from person to person)

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Disappointed that it's not next-gen.

What are the game modes like? I've heard Master League is like CM, is it really? Doesn't look like it.

Had a PES game on the PS2 and I really enjoyed it, since I'm getting bored of UT I might pick up both this year.

D

Deleted member 9102

Yeah even for my 360 version of PES 2013, I had a quality option file which had fully corrected names, badges and kits for all teams and leagues within a few weeks of release. All it took was a USB stick to copy-paste the stuff across - similar stuff is available for the PS3 version too and the PC version... Well, the PC version looks stunning when fully modded, and there are even some great gameplay patches.

The one thing left for Konami to do is add lower leagues, although I suspect that isn't the intention of PES - it's always been about the elite sides in the world and in a way that could be a good thing. It may be better to give more attention to a smaller number of teams to get the attributes and styles more accurate than just saturate the game with hundreds more teams... Woudn't hurt to make it easy to add more leagues ourselves though.

Disappointed that it's not next-gen.

What are the game modes like? I've heard Master League is like CM, is it really? Doesn't look like it.

Had a PES game on the PS2 and I really enjoyed it, since I'm getting bored of UT I might pick up both this year.
Master League is the equivalent - i.e. the main single player mode where you manage a club's transfers, training, finances etc.
I haven't played much of it since PES 2011 (prefer online play) but I've heard it was quite buggy in 2013.

It's not on next gen by the looks of it, but I seem to remember seeing something about Konami saying new "Fox" engine is actually built more for PS4/XB1 and is being significantly scaled down to run on 360/PS3...

Here's a video with some details about the engine (using MGS as the example mainly):

Looks pretty good, it's probably better that they hold off for a year and do it right than do a crappy port like they did for PES6 on Xbox 360.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Well that sucks if you need to get the licenses across using a USB. I'm pretty sure the USB drive in my PS3 stopped working, I keep getting an error message even when I'm not using it. That's annoying.

The main problem I have with it not being next-gen is I can't play it if I trade in my PS3 for a PS4, which is very much possible. So I might have to wait till next year to pick up PES.

The lower leagues are a bit pointless IMO. I myself have never touched any of them in FIFA other than a bit in Ultimate Team, otherwise they are just there and I don't care for them.

Users who are viewing this thread