Sat Jan 11 (20 ovs)
06:00 GMT | 19:00 local
19:00 NZDT 1st T20I - New Zealand v West Indies
Eden Park, Auckland

Wed Jan 15 (20 ovs)
06:00 GMT | 19:00 local
19:00 NZDT 2nd T20I - New Zealand v West Indies
Westpac Stadium, Wellington

WI Squad: Darren Sammy (capt), Denesh Ramdin (wk & vice-capt), Tino Best, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Sheldon Cottrell, Narsingh Deonarine, Kirk Edwards, Shannon Gabriel, Chris Gayle, Veersammy Permaul, Kieron Powell, Marlon Samuels, Shane Shillingford, Chadwick Walton (wk)

Vettori will not be playing for NZ

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Milne will still not get a nod for tests?

Hes far from that tbh, there is many bowlers in line ahead of him.

The Vettori situation is a bit peculiar to me, he said hes not ready for tests which is fine but then I read an article today saying he wants to play the whole BBL, which will mean he'll miss the ODIs against West Indies. Come on man, if you want to do the T20 freelance thing then retire from internationals already. Its pretty obvious to see why he turned down a contract.

Last edited:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hes far from that tbh, there is many bowlers in line ahead of him.

The Vettori situation is a bit peculiar to me, he said hes not ready for tests which is fine but then I read an article today saying he wants to play the whole BBL, which will mean he'll miss the ODIs against West Indies. Come on man, if you want to do the T20 freelance thing then retire from internationals already. Its pretty obvious to see why he turned down a contract.

Being fit to play a 5-day test match is quite different from playing T20s every few days

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
A series at a perfect time. Both teams look to be going through their worst phases and interestingly have similar strengths in limited overs cricket and very unpredictable. It should be a great experience for the players but hey look at this! The team under the name 'West Indians' have more New Zealand players than the ones from the WI. :eek: This is all the result of the hectic schedule. It is kind of NZ board that they are providing players to WI to build up a team in order to get some match practice while most of our regulars were still competing against India.

Last edited:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors

Yeah, I find it a bit weird as well. It's probably fair enough though, because he knows he's only got a few possible years left of any cricket, so he might as well try and make the most from them. I don't mind him hanging on until the 2015 WC like he's trying to, because playing a WC at home for NZers is only going to happen like once every 24 years, but he really should just come out and retire from Tests.

Jello222

School Cricketer
Yeah, I find it a bit weird as well. It's probably fair enough though, because he knows he's only got a few possible years left of any cricket, so he might as well try and make the most from them. I don't mind him hanging on until the 2015 WC like he's trying to, because playing a WC at home for NZers is only going to happen like once every 24 years, but he really should just come out and retire from Tests.

Agree with DBC123.

There is always a place for a fit Vettori in the NZ squad. It is a little weird as it feels like He has not played INT cricky for ages but the previous comment re; difference between T20 and tests is true. It is physically more demanding but at the same time a bit weak if that is Vittas true plans.

Cant wait to see some cricket that dosnt invole Australia or India.

War

Chairman of Selectors
A series at a perfect time. Both teams look to be going through their worst phases and interestingly have similar strengths in limited overs cricket and very unpredictable. It should be a great experience for the players but hey look at this! The team under the name 'West Indians' have more New Zealand players than the ones from the WI. :eek: This is all the result of the hectic schedule. It is kind of NZ board that they are providing players to WI to build up a team in order to get some match practice while most of our regulars were still competing against India.

NZ have problems but its not as bad as WI test selections. I get the vybe that Kiwis had bad feeling about McCullum as a captain and player, but thats about it.

If NZ quicks bowl similar to what ENG experienced earlier this year, the windies bats who have a penchant for loose batting techniques in the longer former, could get serious exposed.

ferg512

International Coach
Being fit to play a 5-day test match is quite different from playing T20s every few days

Ok but then why is he not playing the ODI series? I don't blame the guy for wanting to play in the BBL but its just a bit frustrating that it seems hes just going to pick and choose his series until we get to the WC.

----------

Yeah but why now? He could retire after the WC and have plenty of time to do the T20 circuit. You'd think he'd at least want to help us out with the ODI series.

Haynes123

Club Captain
just prepare swinging pitches, then the series will be over quickly and windies cant handle swing

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
NZ have problems but its not as bad as WI test selections. I get the vybe that Kiwis had bad feeling about McCullum as a captain and player, but thats about it.

If NZ quicks bowl similar to what ENG experienced earlier this year, the windies bats who have a penchant for loose batting techniques in the longer former, could get serious exposed.

Yes, Sammy has not done anything great to be in the test side as a player and it is high time we see Walton replacing Ramdin. Once again, no Rampaul, Roach and Edwards means we have a very poor attack. Only plus point is we have good experienced players in the form of Chanders, Darren Bravo and Samuels (not counting Gayle as a dependable one anymore) and they play pace better than spin and with NZ not known for too many tweakers or dustbowls, WI will feel a little better. That said, we all saw what our players did at Eden Gardens against a Mohammed Shami. Narine is added to the squad but it is never a one man show is cricket. Another series defeat coming up...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, Sammy has not done anything great to be in the test side as a player and it is high time we see Walton replacing Ramdin. Once again, no Rampaul, Roach and Edwards means we have a very poor attack. Only plus point is we have good experienced players in the form of Chanders, Darren Bravo and Samuels (not counting Gayle as a dependable one anymore) and they play pace better than spin and with NZ not known for too many tweakers or dustbowls, WI will feel a little better. That said, we all saw what our players did at Eden Gardens against a Mohammed Shami. Narine is added to the squad but it is never a one man show is cricket. Another series defeat coming up...

In Sammy defense you got to feel sorry for him a bit in all of this. He didn't ask to be captain, he like any player who is given such a honor is just doing the job to the best of his ability.

However one should not forget the frivolous manner in which Sammy got the captaincy. He never earned the right to be skipper based on any domestic performances.

At the height of the windies players versus board controversy in 2010, two st lucians were running WICB (president Julian Hunte & CEO - Ernest Hilaire) & Sammy somehow got the captaincy. Since then he has been a illegitimate captain trying to prove himself across all formats. He has done ok in ODI/T20 - but out of his depth in tests.

Thats why blame should he centered towards the selectors for continuously picking him in tests - Sammy can't pick himself. Although he could do like Kim Hughes versus the great Windies team in 1984 and just resign the test captaincy under all this pressure.

On the bowlers, i am guessing given that he was bowling well in the India ODI's is, the only reason Rampaul is not back in the test squad is because the selectors probably feel he is not fully fit to play tests. He hasn't played a first-class game in months last i checked.

But young bowlers on current form like Holder, Delorn Johnson and Miguel Cummins and the experience of F Edwards should have been considered given the absence of Roach/Rampaul. Gabriel is talented but hasn't been bowling well for months and Best is too erratic.

Agree on Gayle, especially in tests, his technique looks a total mess. Like Sehwag windies will have to seriously consider axing him from at least a format unless his form returns. I think Lendl Simmons would be a good attacking/test opener replacement.

Great comment on the windies by Ian Chappell on cricinfo at the moment (not his 100% exact words):

ESPNcricinfo at 20 : ESPNcricinfo for Cricket Summit | 'We are all custodians of the game' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Chappell said:
I was saddened by the recent India & Windies test series not because Tendulkar was retiring, but because of the futility of the West Indies. I obviously played versus the windies when they were strong and have run into a lot of people in the last last 10-15 years who did so also, and the took a hammering from them either on the scoreboard or physically.

I have not heard on person say - 'isn't it great to see those bastards coping it' - everyone says the same thing - 'isn't it sad to see the windies playing how they are'.

It is important for cricket, that the windies are a strong test match nation, because they along with australia, england and india are one of the 4 major draw-cards for test cricket

Last edited:

ferg512

International Coach
Bit disappointed in the Redmond selection really, hes past it to be perfectly honest. A couple of nice spells by Best but the Windies are really missing Roach and Rampaul, Gabriel has been pretty awful and even though Sammy has been ok, he should never be a third seamer.

Users who are viewing this thread