Dhoni retires from Test Cricket: Anyone who can replace him?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Dhoni has retired from Test Cricket with immediate effect meaning Virat Kohli will captain India in Sydney. Personally, I find it a great decision as he was decent but never a good batsman in test matches but who do you think can replace Dhoni in a long run? Saha is obvious choice as of now but is he the permanent replacement of Dhoni or should we try the likes of Uday Kaul and Kedar Devdhar or should we try half cooked wicketkeepers all over again as we did before Dhoni got into the test side with the contenders for the spot being Parthiv Patel and KL Rahul (does he even keep wickets anymore?)? Robin Uthappa is not a good bet for keeping in test matches while Naman Ojha is too old now. Some names that may get outside chance are of Sanju Samon, Smit Patel and Shreevats Goswami.

What are your suggestions and why?

playkid12

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Out of over a billion people in India alone? I doubt it.

I don't think it's too surprising. He had mentioned many times that fatigue is an issue. All of the recent poor performances by the team don't help. Not to mention his captaincy is more suited for ODIs and T20s. It's a bold, wise decision. He had to flat out retire because it was a physical fatigue issue rather than him being tired of being captain. I'm sure he can prolong his T20 career as a result of this decision. But tbqh, I see him retiring in ODIs after the WC. Not many good wicketkeepers on the far side of 35, let alone that he'd be way over by the next world cup. In keeping with the youth-first spirit that he brought to the team, India could build a formidable team for the World Cup after the next one if he chooses to retire right after this one, which I'm sure he will.

Unfortunate that his results in Tests weren't that great as captain, keeper, or batsman, but he's still by far the best keeper batsman that India has had in all formats.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Rayudu, Rahul are the part-time keepers. We need a decent person to handle this.

Wriddhiman has been a long-term deputy to MSD, but under the current circumstances, I think Naman Ojha ought to be tried and given a chance. In the near future I see the likes of Smit Patel & Sanju Samson coming up rapidly and could be challenging each other shortly.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
This also means that the World Cup 2015 would be the Indian captain's swansong. I believe post the World Cup, we would be heading into a new era altogether with a lot of youngster set to take the stage.

I have a feeling that the BCCI was very much aware of the captain's decision. In fact, even the Director would have been aware of MSD's retirement prior to the series itself and that's why have carried 2 extra wicket-keepers on the current tour.

S

Satan666

The most successful captain for India. His test record as a player is also stellar. Good job MSD, was a great pleasure to see you play. One of the coolest and calmest of players in a rather hostile and agressive team India.

One of the fondest memories is of him in the '06 test in Antigua where he showed no disrespect to the top batsman of the time Lara when it was unclear if the fielder had stepped over the ropes and taken a catch off Dhoni's fourth consecutive six.

India will go further down in test cricket, I dont think he left willingly but was hounded out by irate fans!

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Never came across as that good a test captain in my opinion due to his negativity, although still a world class limited overs player and captain. Surprised to see he didn't stay on til the end of the series to be honest, even if he let Kohli captain.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
A lot of people seem to think that MSD ought to have simply given up the captaincy and played on as a keeper-batsman. Personally, I find that he hasn't been much of a force in Tests as a batsman alone. His ODI reputation does precede itself in Test matches. Yes, there have been the odd sparks here and there, but nowhere near a Test class batsman.

Yuvi.

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Out of over a billion people in India alone? I doubt it.

I don't think it's too surprising. He had mentioned many times that fatigue is an issue. All of the recent poor performances by the team don't help. Not to mention his captaincy is more suited for ODIs and T20s. It's a bold, wise decision. He had to flat out retire because it was a physical fatigue issue rather than him being tired of being captain. I'm sure he can prolong his T20 career as a result of this decision. But tbqh, I see him retiring in ODIs after the WC. Not many good wicketkeepers on the far side of 35, let alone that he'd be way over by the next world cup. In keeping with the youth-first spirit that he brought to the team, India could build a formidable team for the World Cup after the next one if he chooses to retire right after this one, which I'm sure he will.

Unfortunate that his results in Tests weren't that great as captain, keeper, or batsman, but he's still by far the best keeper batsman that India has had in all formats.
Your quote is Worth Reading.
The Retirement was coming soon or late. Its a Great Decision by MSD. I am feeling sad as his fan but it indeed is a real good decision for the team.

Yuvi.

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
An Indian Captain loved even by our arch richals.
10838081_1583788158525513_820478475590939206_o.jpg

grkrama

National Board President
but nowhere near a Test class batsman.

highest no of runs in tests by an indian captain..as well as wicketkeeper captain..people forget he is a wicket keeper batsman cause of his odi form. has over 33 50s 15 in overseas second most by any wicket keeper batsman, and 6 hundreds pretty good considering having to play with lower order mostly coming at seven.
95 at kingsten vs WI, 89 at Manchester vs ENG, 88 at Perth vs AUS , 90 at Durban vs SA, 92 at oval, 90 at Nottingham, 82 at oval

just because its not a 100 doesn't mean he didnt play well overseas coming at no7.

add to this highest number stumping

if we get anywhere near as good a replacement we would be lucky of now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread