Football Super League announced

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
So, for someone who knows absolutely F all about football, is this like the Big 3 rolled into the ICL (heard that from Osman Samiuddin)?

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So, for someone who knows absolutely F all about football, is this like the Big 3 rolled into the ICL (heard that from Osman Samiuddin)?

The ICL is a decent comparison given that it was a rogue operation too.

It is tough to make a similar comparison to cricket too. Football has always been a sport based on the fact that 'one day, you (a player or club) could compete at the highest level)' and has been the game for the masses. Cricket on the other hand has for the most part remained a closed cabal at the top level just because it isn't played that much. India and England apart, do any of the other domestic systems have a pro/rel format? Even their shiny, big money leagues in the 100 and the IPL are very similar to the ESL in terms of principle. I'm pretty sure if the IPL was to become 'the centrepiece of cricket', many a fan would raise their pitchforks in justified anger.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
It would (the Bundesliga for instance), but would you really call what just left 'football?'. The fundamental sport obviously remains the same and it has been already turned from a game of the masses to a polished and commercialized one behind the scenes but this is pretty much the official, 'gone too far' step that signifies it.

The ESL runs against everything that football is supposed stand for. And I like the fact that even in this day and age, we get stories like Leicester winning the Premier League, Atletico Madrid turning it around and winning multiple trophies whilst establishing themselves as a powerhouse and Dortmund reinvent themselves as a contender.

But then the ESL? It's a closed cabal of clubs that is supposed to be 'elite' and the way the President spoke of it, they're considering the founding fifteen members as untouchable while the likes of Napoli and Roma (two very big clubs in their own rights) get to make guest appearances on a rotational basis per season. You only need to hear his interview to know how fallacious the entire idea is. It is apparently supposed to 'save football and save the small guy' but at the same time apparently no one 'wants' to watch the underdog take on the bigger club.

The only point of this entire concept is to turn hundreds of millions into a couple of billions in revenue and it is very thinly disguised. To this end, they're pretty much willing to make everything that previously helped them get where they are redundant and make enemies out of everyone else. You only need to look at how many dissenting voices are there to know what a terrible idea is.
Post automatically merged:

I doubt the Geordies need the top clubs to hammer them, pretty much everyone seems to stand a fair chance these days. :D
They are not asking to replace anything , they are creating another tournament with some invitational spots, I don't see any wrong.
It's money minded for sure but football has already been money minded.
I see people are overreacting like football will die with this.

Sami Kumar

Zananiya da Cheetah
PAK...
The Boys
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
I doubt the Geordies need the top clubs to hammer them, pretty much everyone seems to stand a fair chance these days. :D
Oh totally mate.Was over cloud 9 when Leeds did it. Then come out the usuall “oh atleast we’re in the top tier, look at youse celebrating your Mickey Mouse papa John’s trophy” like mate a trophy’s a trophy. Hate the fact these lot are gonna walk about pretending to be half as decent as Leicester after the top guns leave. Should probably stick to shearer days after that epic fail of a takeover :Dthey really thought they’d bring Mbappe in. Unforgettable night that was across river tyne

Last edited:

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
It's not the 90s anymore, the world is not the same.
Football will survive.

It's not about it surviving though. It's about removing the competitive element entirely and replacing it with out and out greed
Post automatically merged:

Oh totally mate.Was over cloud 9 when Leeds did it. Then come out the usuall “oh atleast we’re in the top tier, look at youse celebrating your Mickey Mouse papa John’s trophy” like mate a trophy’s a trophy. Hate the fact these lot are gonna walk about pretending to be half as decent as Leicester after the top guns leave. Should probably stick to shearer days after that epic fail of a takeover :Dthey really thought they’d bring Mbappe in. Unforgettable night that was across river tyne

I will not rise to this. Only because I'm having a really good day :D

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The ICL is a decent comparison given that it was a rogue operation too.

It is tough to make a similar comparison to cricket too. Football has always been a sport based on the fact that 'one day, you (a player or club) could compete at the highest level)' and has been the game for the masses. Cricket on the other hand has for the most part remained a closed cabal at the top level just because it isn't played that much. India and England apart, do any of the other domestic systems have a pro/rel format? Even their shiny, big money leagues in the 100 and the IPL are very similar to the ESL in terms of principle. I'm pretty sure if the IPL was to become 'the centrepiece of cricket', many a fan would raise their pitchforks in justified anger.
The closest comparison in cricket that I can think of is the power grab by the 'Big 3'. They make the most money and that's not enough. Only it would be if the Big 3 then decided that they would play in an exclusive tournament where they get all the riches and maybe some other teams get an invite (and not an equal share and if they win they might still not get invited back next time). I believe Ganguly actually suggested that idea.

Cricket on the whole is a closed shop. The county championship might have had two divisions but it's the same 18 counties that have been there for the last 30 years. No minor county gets the chance to come up like a non-league team in football does. It's one thing that makes international cricket (particularly bilateral series) so pointless in my mind. It's bragging rights and money generation. The most competitive (in terms of stakes) cricket you get is in associate cricket because there's regular promotion and relegation.

Last edited:

hassan918

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Money taking over sports

Users who are viewing this thread