General Cricket Discussion

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
We are all shit as Teenagers especially during this day and age of Social Media.

Everyone deserves a second chance &: if playing cricket at the highest level, mixing with different ethnicity of players (England are the best example of it) made him realise his mistakes its all fine in the end.

Hope the whole situation is managed well by the ECB and the that lad has matured enough with the age and realised how wrong he was.
He seemed genuinely remorseful to me after the tweets were made public. I agree with the stance the ECB has taken though. Its a pity he’ll miss the 2nd test, took what 7 wickets in his debut at Lords.

iambeena

Banned
Dom Bess added to England squad ahead of the 2nd Test match against New Zealand

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 0

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner

This, isn't a good look
Again the question must be asked of how they don't have a whole team of guys furiously nuking their social media. I know Bess has deleted his Twitter, but everyone has old dodgy posts. Off the top of my head, Buttler and Morgan (derision towards those with English as second language; could be read as racist) and Jimmy (post about Broad's haircut that could be read as homophobic) spring to mind

And it's a rod that England have made for their own backs. By knee-jerking and announcing a disciplinary investigation into tweets from 2012 they've said to every hack out there that this is news and it is fair game. And by not doing due diligence on their employees' socials and not making clear any sort of expectations on this when first calling guys up, they've arguably failed in their duty of care too.

And all of this is with Craig "I can't be racist because I spoke to Azhar Ali" Overton still in the squad. It's baffling and it was avoidable.

Again, I'm by no means excusing casual racism. Probably best to clarify that given the issue at hand.

"Zero tolerance" policies are almost always unhelpful. They do not distinguish between children who bully others and the others who defend themselves. They do not distinguish between the player who probably plagiarised his tweets from Sickipedia (remember how that was a thing) and the player who told a foreign-born batsman to go back to his own country. They don't distinguish between the guy sharing his weed with a mate or the guy selling opiates to the most vulnerable people in society. "Zero tolerance" is just a handy way of assuring people that anyone who is "bad" will be punished. Punished but not educated.

Full credit to Ollie Robinson though, who has remained contrite and dignified throughout, even as his name becomes a political football to be kicked around by those with far more damaging and recent track records of aggressive xenophobia at a minimum. If ever anyone was looking for evidence of a changed and more mature individual, he's given it this week.

If there's one bit of comfort it is this: if the ECB are failing this badly and scapegoating their players, it must be an Ashes year

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
If there's one bit of comfort it is this: if the ECB are failing this badly and scapegoating their players, it must be an Ashes year
Should I dust off the broom again?

edit: I had to anyway, congrats Winnipeg

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think suspending him until they investigate it properly is the right thing to do.

Very harsh, IMO!

It happened like 8 years ago, not 8 months ago. People obviously mature and change over a period of time. Suspending him for something done in 2013 is quite weird.

I am also quite keen on understanding the exact scope of the enquiry here? What are they going to do? How exactly will this be tackled?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hopefully Robinson has a good lawyer. Because if Jimmy isn’t suspended for tweets sent while and employee of the ECB and member of the team, and Robinson is suspended for tweets when he didn’t even have any professional county contract AFAIK, then he should have grounds for action against the ECB.

B

Bigby Wolf

Stunning to see a player of his calibre behave like that. But given his precedents, not so stunning, I guess
He did the same before I guess in BPL or some other league.

Heard he hit or confronted a fan as well for harassing or saying something to his wife (Can be acceptable at times).

So yeah he has done such actions before so not surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread