Irish Domestic Cricket

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've often been a bit disappointed not to have a thread for Irish domestic cricket, so I figured that it was better late than never.

Irish Domestic Cricket includes the Interpros - played between the four cricketing provinces: Leinster Lightning, Munster Reds, Northern Knights and North West Warriors - which usually has three competitions:
  • Interprovincial Championship - Three-day first-class cricket; not being held this year due to the pandemic
  • Interprovincial 50 Cup - List A domestic competition
  • Interprovincial 20 Trophy - Twenty20 domestic competition
There is also the club scene in both the Republic and in Northern Ireland, and there is supposed to be the Euro T20 Slam (but I suspect Shane Getkate is more likely to play cricket on the moon than in Slam)

Live streams can usually be found on the Cricket Ireland Live YouTube channel

Aislabie

Ireland
And now the incidents I went to post about: in the space of five minutes in today's T20, Northern Knights' two best batsmen (Harry Tector and Jeremy Lawlor) have just got themselves out respectively by top-edging a switch-hit fourth ball, and getting run out going for a non-existent second run, whilst also running one-short. Amateur hour from two players who are very much in the national selectors' plans

Aislabie

Ireland
Looking at Neil Rock here, he's been really proactive against the spinners - using his feet and committing to his choice of shot. Of course Ross Allen isn't exactly Rashid Khan, but we could do worse than fast-tracking him into the T20I side given where the WT20 is going to be

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I've always been interested in Irish cricket, so I'm glad there's a thread for this. I look forward to reading more about it

Aislabie

Ireland
Okay, so let's have a look at how Ireland's main players are doing at the moment. There's absolutely no shortage of talented players:

:ire: :ar: Mark Adair (25, Northern Knights)
Mark Adair has been a stand-out bowler to the extent that most teams are happy to play him out and attack his teammates. He's also shown some real batting prowess.

:ire: :bat: Andy Balbirnie (30, Leinster Lightning)
Has generally looked more comfortable than most at this level, but has often found ways to throw it away, like today where he upper-cut one down third man's throat.

:ire: :ar: Curtis Campher (22, Munster Reds)
Played really well in the first game of the season; injured ever since.

:ire: :bwl: Peter Chase (27, Leinster Lightning)
Genuinely not sure if he's injured or just not bowling very well. I would assume the former.

:ire: :bat: Murray Commins (24, Munster Reds - UNCAPPED)
A call-up might be premature, but he's a really classy-looking left-hander and is swimming in runs. Worth a go.

:ire: :bwl: David Delany (23, Northern Knights)
Ireland's fastest bowler has lost a bit of zip since returning from his knee injury, and has only three wicketless appearances so far.

:ire: :ar: Gareth Delany (24, Munster Reds)
Has also been injured since the first week of the season.

:ire: :wk: Stephen Doheny (22, North West Warriors - UNCAPPED)
Not ready yet.

:ire: :ar: George Dockrell (28, Leinster Lightning)
Dockrell is batting absolutely brilliantly for Leinster; has absolutely carried them to the best of his ability, but he can't do it on his own.

:nzf: :ar: Luke Georgeson (22, Northern Knights - UNCAPPED)
A really good three-tooled all-rounder. If he's Irish qualified then he's got to be a contender for a call-up.

:ire: :ar: Shane Getkate (29, North West Warriors)
The stereotypical Irish all-rounder has been resiliently okay. Lots of 30-odds, no match-defining contribution. Bowling would get murdered by international players.

:ire: :ar: Fionn Hand (22, Munster Reds - UNCAPPED)
The stats aren't great, but Fionn Hand has been talismanic for Munster this year. He's got some real John Mooney vibes about him.

:saf: :ar: Graham Hume (30, North West Warriors - UNCAPPED)
A truly weird cricketer - the stats are great (311 first-class wickets at 17.91, and a century) but he doesn't really pass the eye test. Also unsure if Ireland qualified.

:ire: :ar: Tyrone Kane (26, Munster Reds)
Has been outstanding this season for Munster as an Action Man all-rounder captain. That is, until he got injured - imagine Munster with him, Delany and Campher all fit.

:ire: :bat: Jeremy Lawlor (25, Northern Knights - UNCAPPED)
Played really well in the List A games; not exactly a T20 impact player but still staking a good claim for national consideration.

:ire: :bwl: Josh Little (21, Leinster Lightning)
Josh Little is having a real coming of age season, swimming in wickets for both Leinster and Ireland. Easily the best available left-armer.

:ire: :bwl: Josh Manley (26, Munster Reds - UNCAPPED)
Josh Manley looks a fantastic seam bowler - but that's the one department where Ireland aren't really lacking.

:ire: :ar: Andy McBrine (28, North West Warriors)
An aggressively unfashionable cricketer; has been consistent but not usually memorable, except for a surprising (and impressively dull) 72 from number three against Leinster.

:ire: :bwl: Graeme McCarter (28, Northern Knights)
Has done well for the Knights, and had a stellar six-for playing for the Wolves. I don't think he's bowled a bad spell yet all season.

:ire: :bwl: Barry McCarthy (28, Leinster Lightning)
McCarthy had a shocking time for Ireland recently, but still usually stands head and shoulders above his teammates (still has his trademarked occasional bad days though)

:ire: :bat: William McClintock (24, North West Warriors - UNCAPPED)
Two of the most startling displays of hitting this season have been put on by McClintock. A natural six-hitter, absolutely needs to be in the Wolves side at least.

:ire: :bat: James McCollum (25, Northern Knights)
McCollum has had an absolute stinker of a season; in six List A games for the Knights and Wolves (the Ireland A team), he managed only 18 runs. T20 form a little better, but yikes.

:ire: :bat: Kevin O'Brien (37, Leinster Lightning)
The decline in KOB's form looks somewhat terminal. His retirement from ODI cricket made sense; he no longer even looks like getting runs.

:ire: :bwl: David O'Halloran (20, Leinster Lightning - UNCAPPED)
A very tall seamer, who's already earned a national call-up. Haven't actually seen him bowl yet but the stats are great.

:ire: :bat: William Porterfield (36, North West Warriors)
Basically his usual form: two ducks, three single-figure scores, two fifties and a hundred. Probably holds onto his regained opening spot simply by default.

:ire: :wk: Neil Rock (20, Northern Knights - UNCAPPED)
Actually looks like a really good power hitter. Not sure about his keeping - I wasn't really watching at that point in the day.

:ire: :ar: Simi Singh (34, Leinster Lightning)
His Ireland batting record isn't great, but his Leinster form is staking a significant claim to be tried as a short-term T20 opening batsman.

:ire: :bat: Paul Stirling (30, Northern Knights and Middlesex)
Ireland's best batsman has been a very busy man, and has done well for Middlesex (sadly not Northants this season) in the T20 Blast.

:ire: :bat: Harry Tector (21, Northern Knights)
Has been honestly shocking this season. His runs against the Netherlands certainly came against the run of play for him.

:ire: :wk: Lorcan Tucker (24, Leinster Lightning)
Against all the odds, he's actually hit a couple of fifties this season - explosive ones too. Hopefully not another false dawn.

:ire: :bwl: Ben White (22, Northern Knights - UNCAPPED)
Had an absolutely stellar T20 festival in Dublin, and will probably be parachuted in from absolutely nowhere.

:ire: :bwl: Craig Young (31, North West Warriors)
My favourite seamer in Ireland, he's been absolutely fantastic - except for today where he got carted for 52 from his four overs, mostly by Neil Rock.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
:ire: :bwl: Craig Young (31, North West Warriors)
My favourite seamer in Ireland, he's been absolutely fantastic - except for today where he got carted for 52 from his four overs, mostly by Neil Rock.
Must have rocked his selection chances

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Zimbabwe international Peter Moor is playing in the domestic tournaments. He has an Irish passport and rejected a central contract from Zimbabwe. So I expect he'll be showing up in an Ireland shirt soon.

Luke Georgeson too has an Irish passport and will be eligible for selection in 2022.

Ruhan Pretorius is another South African who has played for the A-side and will be eligible for the national team next year.

Murray Commins is going through a qualification/eligibility period I think.

Aislabie

Ireland
Zimbabwe international Peter Moor is playing in the domestic tournaments. He has an Irish passport and rejected a central contract from Zimbabwe. So I expect he'll be showing up in an Ireland shirt soon.
Yeah, he's still a couple of years off qualifying though because of residency criteria applying to players who switch country

:ire: :bat: Jeremy Lawlor (25, Northern Knights - UNCAPPED)
Played really well in the List A games; not exactly a T20 impact player but still staking a good claim for national consideration.
I will also take back my judgement of "not exactly a T20 impact player" after today's innings - really excellent. Apparently there's also a chance of them holding a Munster festival between this and the Northern one, which would be a bonus because more fixtures means more chances for guys like this to finally stop us relying on players who should already have retired. Speaking of which, KOB batted a bit longer today - long enough to show just how badly his powers have waned. He's absolutely cooked.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Ireland has definitely been a nation that has grown by leaps and bounds over the years in terms of cricket. I never really liked it when they called half the team "farmers and shepherds" during the 2007 World Cup. Trent Johnston's dance everytime he took a wicket didn't help matters - "he's doing a little Irish jig" just seemed a bit too forced from the commentators.

I'll definitely watch a few games using the link you've provided. Seems pretty awesome from what I've read...sometimes players have brain farts and get out in ridiculous ways. More fodder for my umpiring thread, lol.

I'm glad there's finally a thread about the Irish.

Aislabie

Ireland
Ireland has definitely been a nation that has grown by leaps and bounds over the years in terms of cricket.
Definitely agree; at the very top level they've been self-defeatingly risk averse but their work to create a shoestring infrastructure has been really impressive. And seeing a setup unabashedly seeking to attract overseas players to set up home is refreshing

Oregonian

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
Big thanks for creating the Irish cricket thread. When Cricket 19 was released, I was immensely disappointed to find out that there is no Ireland career mode. I wrote an email to the BigAnt to show my disappointment since they had a career mode for Ireland in the previous iteration. I got a response from BigAnt that they would consider it in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread