Story International Cricket dice replays - 1876/7 to now

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I will be posting my short match reports and potted scores from various dice based cricket simulations here.
I will be hopping through history playing various series that interest me, both real, and some rescheduled with the players available at the time.
The game I enjoy most is International Cricket by Lambourne/Owzat Games.
Having realised I had not used the most up to date cards for some of the players in some of my earlier replays, I created a new Cricket Statz database for IC.
What follows are reports from the first series I decided to play, an Ashes series from somewhere around 1876/7 to 1880 using the carded IC players I have from that era.
I managed to come up with an XI for both teams and both look reasonably balanced with the right amount of batsmen and bowlers.
Averages and run rates were lower in the early Tests, and I expect that to be the same in my replays.
I am also going to play T20 Internationals and ODIs with these old era players to see what sort of numbers they generate.
It will be interesting to see if any old era players can match the modern players for average and strike rate in the T20s in particular.
For now, I will press on with my reports.
Full match reports including scorecards can be found on this blog:

International Cricket dice replays - 1876/7 to now

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
1876/7 to 1880 Ashes - Series Preview

Not knowing where to begin, and having every International match ever played to choose from that I have statistics on to replay, I decided to go back to the beginning of International cricket itself, the 1876/7 Ashes.
I decided to turn it into a fully fledged series in order to track records to compare to modern series of similar length, to see how these older era players might have compared.
Using carded players for Lambourne/Owzat Games International Cricket, I came up with the following 1876/7 to 1880 era players to represent the two teams:

Australia 1876/7 to 1880

Name - Tests - Bat Avg - High Score - Bowl Style - Bowl Average - Best Bowl - Runs Per Over

A.C.Bannerman - 28 - 23.0 - 94 - RM - 40.7 - 3-111 - 3.3
J.M.Blackham (wk)- 35 - 15.7 - 74 -
T.P.Horan - 15 - 18.8 - 124 - RM - 13.0 - 6-40 - 2.3
W.L.Murdoch (c) - 19 - 31.3 - 211 -
P.S.McDonnell - 19 - 28.9 -147 -
G.J.Bonnor - 17 - 17.0 - 128 -
W.E.Midwinter - 12 - 13.4 - 37* - RM - 25.2 - 5-78 - 2.1
T.W.Garrett - 19 - 12.5 - 51 - RMF - 26.9 - 6-78 - 2.1
H.F.Boyle - 12 - 12.7 - 36* - RM - 20.0 - 6-42 - 2.2
G.E.Palmer - 17 - 14.0 - 48 - RM - 21.5 - 7-65 - 2.2
F.R.Spofforth - 18 - 9.4 - 50 - RFM - 18.4 - 7-44 - 2.4

England 1876/7 to 1880

Name - Tests - Bat Avg - High Score - Bowl Style - Bowl Average - Best Bowl - Runs Per Over

R.G.Barlow - 17 - 22.7 - 62 - RM - 22.5 - 7-40 - 1.8
W.G.Grace (c) - 22 - 32.2 - 170 - LBG - 26.2 - 2-12 - 2.1
G.Ulyett - 25 - 24.3 - 149 - RF - 20.4 - 7-36 - 2.4
A.Shrewsbury - 23 -35.4 - 164 -
A.G.Steel - 13 - 35.2 - 148 - SRA - 20.8 - 3-27 - 2.6
W.Barnes - 21 - 23.3 - 124 - RFM - 15.5 - 6-28 - 2.0
W.H.Scotton - 15 - 22.1 - 90 -
W.Bates - 15 - 27.3 - 64 - OB - 16.4 - 7-28 - 2.0
A.Shaw - 7 - 10.0 - 40 - RM - 23.7 - 5-38 - 1.5
R.Pilling (wk) - 8 - 7.5 - 23 -
E.Peate - 9 - 11.6 - 13 - SLA - 22.0 - 6-85 - 1.9

Looking at the two teams, England appear much stronger in batting, with Grace, Shrewsbury, and Steel all averaging mid 30's, and a number of others above 20.
With 4 century makers of their own, Australia also have some batting strength, but in the main batting averages are lower.
"The Demon" F.R.Spofforth leads the Australian attack, which though lacking in variety, is close to the England attack in terms of overall ability.
Perhaps England's allrounders and spinners give them the edge in what is expected to be a close contest.

The series begins with the first of 7 T20 Internationals, a format not invented that far back in time, which makes it interesting for me to see who the stars might have been.
Enjoying the speed of T20's using Surf's IC Helper to play IC, and not bothering too much if the engine is exactly accurate or not, I plan to get through the series quickly before deciding what to do next.

The first match is a T20 International in Melbourne somewhere between 1876/7 and 1880.

Last edited:

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 1st T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Melbourne Cricket Ground

Pitch: 2 - Good Batting Wicket

Weather 1 - Hot and Humid

Toss: England

England won the toss, and with the wicket good, they elected to bat in the first ever international game in my replay history, dated January 1st, 1877, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Fred "The Demon" Spofforth was on fire early, opening the bowling at good pace, he tore through the top order to at one stage have figures of 3 for 9 off 3 overs.
Arthur Shrewsbury 32 and Allan Steel 24 repaired the damage in a steadying partnership, before a 5 wicket spell to medium pacer Harry Boyle reduced England to 82/8.
A hard hitting 30* off 17 balls to allrounder Billy Bates took England to 117/8 off their 20 overs, giving them something to defend going into the second half of the match.
Bates at one stage took 16 off an over by Spofforth, and hit 3 sixes in all.
Australia lost cheap wickets in reply, but a patient Horan, and a quicker Percy McDonnell repaired some of the damage.
McDonnell went on to an excellent 43*, and with support from the noted big hitter George Bonnor 31, took his team in sight of victory.
With 8 required from the last over, it was anyone's game.
Ulyett was hit for 4 off the 1st ball, but bowled Garrett off the 4th, to leave bowling hero Harry Boyle on strike with 4 required and 2 balls remaining.
Tragically for Ulyett he overstepped, bowling a no ball, which Boyle belted for 4, to give Australia a 3 wicket victory with 2 balls to spare.
Man of the Match Harry Boyle became an instant hero, having bowled his medium pace brilliantly earlier to take 5-16, and now strike the winning boundary to snatch the match from England's grasp.
Australia take a 1-0 lead into the 2nd match of the series, in Sydney.

Australia won by 3 wickets

Man of the Match: H.F.Boyle

England 117/8 (20 overs)
(A.Shrewsbury 33, A.G.Steel 24, W.Bates 30*; F.R.Spofforth 3-25, H.F.Boyle 5-16)

Australia 119/7(19.4 overs)
(P.S.McDonnell 43*. G.J.Bonnor 31; G.Ulyett 3-34, E.Peate 4-24)

Last edited:

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 2nd T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Sydney Cricket Ground

Pitch: 1B - Slow paced and low bounce

Weather: 2 - Hot and Humid

Toss: Australia

Australia won the toss and elected to bowl first, hoping for to restrict England's scoring in less than ideal batting conditions.
The England openers got them off to a good start, before W.G.Grace, batting in the middle order this time, hit a 3 sixes in 36 to give them something to bowl at, before a late collapse saw them all out for 116.
The Australian medium pacers had done a good job in taking wickets and restricting the runs on a slow pitch.
Percy McDonnell top scored again for Australia, this time with 34, but with wickets tumbling at the other end, and slow left arm spinner Ted Peate taking 4-3 from 4 overs, they never threatened.
Peate was Man of the Match as England ran out comfortable winners by 46 runs, to draw level in the series at 1-1.

England won by 46 runs

Man of the Match: E.Peate

England 116 all out (17.5 overs(
(W.G.Grace 36; W.E.Midwinter 3-16, H.F.Boyle 3-29, G.E.Palmer 3-23)

Australia 70/9 (20 overs)
(P.S.McDonnel 34; E.Peate 4-3, A.G.Steel 2-9)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 3rd T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Adelaide Oval

Pitch: 1 - Very Good Batting Wicket

Weather: 2 - Hot and Sunny

Australia batted first in perfect conditions and again lost the struggling Bannerman early.
Murdoch 18 and Horan 33 repaired the damage, before McDonnell 26 joined Horan in a long partnership.
At 73/3 with 6 overs left the platform had been built, but the big hitting Bonnor fell for a duck, and with Blackham tied down completely Australia could only finish on 93/6 from their 20 overs.
The England slow bowlers had again bowled well to restrict the Australians in the middle and later overs, and the total felt about 30 runs short of par on a good pitch.
In reply, England opener Dick Barlow became the first batsman in a T20 International to pass 50 in a hard hitting 58* off 45 balls.
With Shrewsbury making 29 at the other end, victory was a formality for a professional England side.
Barlow was named Man of the Match, having picked up 2-11 with his left arm medium pace to go with his match winning innings.
England won the match comfortably by 8 wickets to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

England won by 8 wickets

Man of the Match: R.G.Barlow

Australia 93/6 (20 overs)
(T.P.Horan 33, P.S.McDonnell 26; G.Ulyett 2-25, W.Bates 2-9, R.G.Barlow 2-11)

England 96/2 (14.3 overs)
(R.G.Barlow 58*, A.Shrewsbury 29)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 4th T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Woolloongabba Ground Brisbane

Pitch: 7A - Fast Paced Wicket

Weather: 9 - Rain Forecast

Australia batted first on a fast paced wicket that increased the scoring rate, but didn't hamper the bowler's ability to take wickets, a good cricket wicket for a limited overs match.
In trouble early, Australia only made it is far as 115 thanks to hard hitting innings by Bonnor 23 and Midwinter 21, and contributions from the tail.
Alfred Shaw claimed 3-19 in his best bowling so far for England, and was well supported by a varied attack.
England lost Barlow for a duck to Spofforth in the 1st over of their reply, and Shrewsbury shortly after, leaving the match evenly poised.
A blistering 70* off 39 balls by George Ulyett settled things, the big hitting batsman living up to his reputation as one of the best hitters of his age, striking 10 fours and 3 sixes.
He reached 50 off 26 balls shortly after W.G.Grace was dismissed for 41 off 26 at the other end.
The pair had set up victory, and Man of the Match Ulyett polished it off as he raised the highest individual score so far in a T20 International.
The Australians are struggling for answers, the 7 wicket victory handing England a 3-1 lead in the series, with Australia now requiring 3 consecutive victories to clinch the series.

England won by 7 wickets

Man of the Match: G.Ulyett

Australia 115 all out (17.5 overs)
(G.J.Bonnor 23, W.E.Midwinter 21; W.Barnes 2-17, A.Shaw 3-19, W.Bates 2-16, A.G.Steel 2-17)

England 116/3 (12.5 overs)
(G.Ulyett 70*, W.G.Grace 41; F.R.Spofforth 2-25)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 5th T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - W.A.C.A. Ground Perth

Pitch: 4 - Normal

Weather: 3 - Sunny, some cloud about

Toss: England

England elected to bat and made a total hash of it, scrambling their way to 70/9 off their allotted 20 overs.
Arthur Shrewsbury batted through to the end for 28* but could only hit 1 boundary in a scratchy display, and he received little support.
At one stage England were 30/6, forcing Shrewsbury to rebuild, and they viewed their eventual total as a partial recovery.
Spofforth and Palmer claimed 3 wickets each in an improved display by the Australian bowlers on a pitch that allowed them to express themselves.
Australia batted needing only 71 for victory, a total they had bettered in each game so far this series, and were clear favourites at the break.
Lead by right arm fast bowler George Ulyett's 3 wickets, England got themselves back into the match, reducing Australia to 34/6.
With the match on an even keel, big hitting George Bonnor played the decisive innings with 23, taking 2 sixes from Steel's final over to bring Australia close.
A couple of wickets followed, but the tail eventually scrambled the winning single with 2 overs to spare, handing Australia a 1 wicket victory.
Man of the Match was Bonnor, his big hitting having taken Australia over the line in a low scoring match.
Australia keep themselves alive in the series with victory, with England leading now by just 3-2 with 2 to play.

Australia won by 1 wicket

Man of the Match: G.J.Bonnor

England 70/9 (20 overs)
(A.Shrewsbury 28*; F.R.Spofforth 3-16, G.E.Palmer 3-13)

Australia 71/9 (18 overs)
(G.J.Bonnor 23; G.Ulyett 3-7, A.G.Steel 3-27, R.G.Barlow 2-13)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 6th T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Bellerive Oval Hobart

Pitch: 4 - Normal

Weather: 6 - Light Cloud

Australia won the toss, and lead by 45 from batting mainstay, Percy McDonnell, scrambled their way to 90/9 off 20 overs.
McDonnell received little support on a pitch which was easier to score on than scores suggested.
Alfred Shaw made a mess of the middle order with 5-13 from his variety of slow medium swing and spin, the 1st 5 wicket haul by an England bowler in this format, and the 2nd overall after Harry Boyle's 5-16 in the opening game in Melbourne.
Shaw received good support from Ulyett who struck early in claiming 3-17.
England needed 91 to win but lost wickets regularly throughout their innings.
A hard hitting 23* off 24 balls by William Barnes took them close, but medium fast bowler Tom Garrett claimed 2 wickets in 2 balls to snatch victory for Australia by 1 run in a dramatic finale.
The Australians celebrated victory, and were now back in with a chance of winning the series, with the series score level at 3-3 with the final game to be played at the M.C.G.
Tom Garrett claimed the Man of the Match award, his 3-9 having given Australia a chance at winning the series after earlier all hope had seem lost when down 3-1 after the first 4 games.

Australia won by 1 run

Man of the Match: T.W.Garrett

Australia 90/9 (20 overs)
(P.S.McDonnell 45; G.Ulyett 3-17, A.Shaw 5-13)

England 89 all out (18 overs)
(W.Barnes 23*; F.R.Spofforth 2-21, T.W.Garrett 3-9, G.E.Palmer 3-19)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Australia v England - 7th T20 International 1876/7 to 1880 - Melbourne Cricket Ground

Pitch: 1A - Very slow paced wicket

Weather : 10 - No Play - Rain

Weather on Reserve Day : 9 - Rain forecast

Rain forced the abandonment of the scheduled 1st day, and a hastily arranged 2nd day saw the deciding match of the series take place.
When the match eventually began, Australia won the toss and made a total mess of batting first on a very slow wicket, subsiding to the lowest first innings total yet in the series, all out for a meek 48 in the 20th over.
Captain Billy Murdoch was the only batsman to come to grips with the conditions for the Australians in a steady 20.
George Ulyett capped a superb series, taking a career best 4-9 to derail the Australians.
England were superb in the field, with Grace and Barnes snaring 3 catches apiece.
When England batted, Dick Barlow rode his luck with a number of edged chances in making 23, before Shrewsbury and the powerful Ulyett saw them home.
An easy 8 wicket victory handed England a 4-3 series win and bragging rights ahead of what looks to be a tightly contested ODI series.
Man of the Match and Man of the Series was England allrounder George Ulyett, his batting and bowling throughout the series being the main noticeable difference between the two teams.

England won by 8 wickets

England win series 4-3

Man of the Match: G.Ulyett

Man of the Seriers: G.Ulyett

Australia 48 all out (19.4 overs)
(W.L.Murdoch 20; G.Ulyett 4-9, R.G.Barlow 3-7, W.G.Grace 2-12)

England 50/2 (10 overs)
(R.G.Barlow 23*)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Series averages up on the blog.

Percy McDonnell leads the batting for Australia by a clear margin, 164 runs, at 27.33, highest 45.
George Bonnor's value was reflected in the fact his two best innings brought his team victory, despite a poor average.
F.R.Spofforth lead the wicket taker's list for Australia with 12, while Harry Boyle lead the averages 9 at 10.56, and a best of 5-16.

For England, the batting was lead by Arthur Shrewsbury with 130 at 26.00, a highest of just 33 summed up his consistency.
The rather more destructive Ulyett lead the batting strike rates, and also averaged well with 121 at 24.20, highest of 70*, strike rate of 142.35.
Ulyett also lead the England bowling with 16 wickets at 6.88 with a best of 4-9.

Ulyett was comfortably the leading player on either side, feared with either bat or new ball in hand, his consistent contributions were probably the difference in the series.
A.Shaw's 5-13 was the best bowling performance in the series, while Ulyett's 70* was highest individual innings.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
South Africa v England - Test, ODI and T20 series 1983/4 - Series Preview

England tour South Africa in 1983/4 for 2 Tests, and ODI and T20 series versus the carded South African players I have who were playing in 1983/4.
The South Africans are missing a number of stars from the Rebel tours of South Africa in the 1980's, but can still put together a fairly competitive XI of carded players from 1969/70 or 1991/2 who were active in 83/4.
England meanwhile struggled on tour in New Zealand and Pakistan in this season in real life, but had some decent players in their lineup, and it should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
I could only find 11 available players in 1983/4 for South Africa, so I will keep the series short to prevent staleness settling in.
The squads are as follows:

South Africa 1983/4 available players:

S.J.Cook
M.W.Rushmere
P.N.Kirsten
R.G.Pollock
D.J.Cullinan
A.P.Kuiper
M.J.Proctor (c)
D.J.Richardson (wk)
P.L.Symcox
O.Henry
M.W.Pringle

England 1983/4 touring squad

C.J.Tavare
C.L.Smith
D.I.Gower (c)
M.W.Gatting
A.J.Lamb
D.W.Randall
I.T.Botham
R.W.Taylor (wk)
N.A.Foster
N.G.B.Cook
R.G.D.Willis

G.Fowler
V.J.Marks
G.R.Dilley
N.G.Cowans

England look solid in batting and seam bowling, and should be competitive during the series.
In Botham the visitors possess one of greatest allrounders to play the game, and it should be interesting to see his influence on the series.
South Africa on the other hand have some class batsmen, and as usual, a number of allrounders.
Experienced allrounder Mike Proctor leads them, in the twilight of his First Class career, while ageing great Graeme Pollock slots in to the top order.
South Africa lack depth in seam bowling at this stage, while their batting remains an unknown quantity, but with a pair of spinners at their disposal, could be a challenge on turning pitches.
Overall it's a hard series to pick, which gives me even more reason to replay it.
I will start with a Test match, because after 7 T20's in a row, I feel like a change of pace.

Users who are viewing this thread