New text-based cricket simulation software help & advice.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Another question:

Suppose in a team of 11 players, I want the user to assign skill points to each player. The more the skill points, the better his ability will be.

In this case, what would be a good number to allocate total skill points for a team? I'm thinking 800 skill points so that all 11 players cannot be at 100% level and the user will have to distribute this in a calculated manner. Sounds about right?

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
i don't know about coding or how to build a basic simulator... but if i capable to build a sim than, i like to build a simulator which gave me a closest result according to players rating...like if i rate Virat to 50 avg and 90 S/R in OD format, than in next match he might out for duck and 2nd game he score a 100 and 100 in 3rd too, but after simulating 10 game he must end with average in between 40-60 (not more or less) and his S/R in between 80-100... it same goes both batsman and bowler of all teams... if simulator do that every time, that will be the perfect simulator for me...

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
In my first attempt at making the web based simulator, I had run into server limits with the hosting provider blocking my Ajax requests after a certain number of requests. Since I was making one Ajax request for each delivery bowled in a single request, I guess I was hitting the allowed number of requests per second if there were multiple persons accessing the webpage.

Any tips on how to go about simulating a delivery in such a case? My v1 of the simulator was purely client side (i.e. Javascript) but since I needed to implement new features in it, I had to involve service side aspect to it too. However, that meant Ajax coming into picture and I seem to have a hit roadblock now.

In my opinion, server side is always better. That way, you hide your simulation logic and can make continual improvements without telling people about it. I feel one of the crucial parts about a simulation engine is that its exact algorithm is not known, otherwise people can start to learn to game it. That takes the fun away.

If your provider sets limits like these, you can "batch" the data delivery and do 1-5 overs per AJAX request (but display them slowly client side), etc. Do the simulation at server side.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Another question:

Suppose in a team of 11 players, I want the user to assign skill points to each player. The more the skill points, the better his ability will be.

In this case, what would be a good number to allocate total skill points for a team? I'm thinking 800 skill points so that all 11 players cannot be at 100% level and the user will have to distribute this in a calculated manner. Sounds about right?
I can't understand what you're trying to do here. How to do this depends on WHAT you want to do it for. What role will the team skill points play? A pool of points to assign to players?
That way, you're going into "relative" rating of players in a sense. All the teams will overall have the same skill, just the distribution will be different. How will you model competitions like Afghanistan vs Australia in that case?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
i don't know about coding or how to build a basic simulator... but if i capable to build a sim than, i like to build a simulator which gave me a closest result according to players rating...like if i rate Virat to 50 avg and 90 S/R in OD format, than in next match he might out for duck and 2nd game he score a 100 and 100 in 3rd too, but after simulating 10 game he must end with average in between 40-60 (not more or less) and his S/R in between 80-100... it same goes both batsman and bowler of all teams... if simulator do that every time, that will be the perfect simulator for me...
Building something like that requires more than the simple decision tree/probablistic modelling I did in CS09 (and maybe sohum with PCCS, and the original CricSim). It'll probably require advanced techniques like Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence. I've wanted to build this advanced, close to real life engine for 5 years now but just can't get to it. Some day maybe...

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What role will the team skill points play? A pool of points to assign to players?
Yes, that was what was on my mind. But as you said, that would not result in appropriate results in an Afg vs Aus match. I hadn't considered that.
If your provider sets limits like these, you can "batch" the data delivery and do 1-5 overs per AJAX request (but display them slowly client side), etc. Do the simulation at server side.
Excellent suggestion. Wonder why I couldn't think of that :)

Users who are viewing this thread