Profile Flag
Canada
My final pick Nathan Astle

1491592755043.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|BBI|BBM|:bwl: Ave|5w/10w
First-Class |171|9,321|223|37.58|19/50|150|6/22|?|32.64|5/0
Test |81|4,702|222|37.02|11/24|51|3/27|6/62|42.01|0/0

Here is his bio from cricinfo

"One of cricket's free spirits, Nathan Astle became a lively allrounder at Test and one-day level without losing his breezy confidence. He began at Canterbury as a no-account batsman and the most parsimonious of medium-paced bowlers, but his batting developed quickly. After becoming a free-scoring one-day player Astle was turned by the national coach Glenn Turner into a first-rate Test top-order batsman, with consecutive hundreds in West Indies in 1995-96. He ripped up the record books with his 222 against England, at Christchurch in 2001-02, which was the fastest double century in Tests, coming up off only 153 balls. A knee injury forced him out of action towards the end of 2003, but he was picked for the tour of England in 2004. Astle is now an assured batsman in both games, an expert slip-catcher, and an occasional medium-pace partnership-breaker. He may be a certain selection, but his laid-back attitude means he has never been considered for the captaincy, despite his seniority. His 10th Test match century was made against Sri Lanka in April 2005, followed soon after by his 11th. And in September, he became only the tenth man to score 15 ODI centuries, arguably becoming New Zealand's greatest one-day player. In 2006 he signed for Lancashire, although he wasn't at his ballistic best. He surprised most people by retiring from international cricket six weeks before the Word Cup, citing a lack of motivation. Six months later, he retired from first-class cricket as well."

My playing XI:
  1. :pak: :bat: Majid Khan
  2. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton :c:
  3. :ire: :bat: Ed Joyce
  4. :nzf: :ar: Nathan Astle
  5. :saf: :bat: Faf du Plessis
  6. :aus: :wkb: Matthew Wade
  7. :pak: :ar: Abdul Razzaq
  8. :nzf: :ar: Daniel Vettori
  9. :aus: :bwl: Brett Lee
  10. :ind: :bwl: Umesh Yadav
  11. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon

Overall, I'm very happy with my team. I feel like this team can face almost any team from any decade

@Parth D you have the next pick

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My final pick has been described as a "super allrounder" John Reid

EZimtifXQAUfkNc.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Cts/Sts|Wkts|BBI|BBM|:bwl: Ave|5w/10w
First-Class |246|16,128|296|41.35|39/?|240/7|466|7/20|?|22.60|15/1
Test |58|3,428|142|33.28|6/22|43/1|85|6/60|6/60|33.35|1/0

Here is his bio from cricinfo

"A super allrounder, John Reid was born a generation too soon, for he retired in 1965 before one-day international matches were started. Reid would have been a one-day team on his own - a batsman with thunderous strokes, a rapacious fielder especially at gully or cover, a bowler of what became known as right-arm bursters which ranged from modest off-cutters to snarling bouncers. Reid also fitted in some stand-in wicketkeeping. But for a bout of rheumatic fever in his late-teens Reid might have become the ultimate New Zealand allrounder, for his rugby prowess overshadowed his cricket - but after recovery rugby was off limits. Reid's Test-match scores fluctuated in his first decade, but he touched glory on tour in South Africa in the 1961-62 season, setting a record of 1915 runs, seven centuries (leaving Denis Compton, Neil Harvey, Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton and Arthur Morris in his wake). Reid later became a New Zealand selector, took his coaching and management talents to South Africa for a time, but returned to New Zealand to join the front rank of the International Cricket Council referees."

My playing XI:
  1. :pak: :bat: Majid Khan
  2. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton :c:
  3. :ire: :bat: Ed Joyce
  4. :nzf: :arwk: John Reid
  5. :saf: :bat: Faf du Plessis
  6. :aus: :wkb: Matthew Wade
  7. :pak: :ar: Abdul Razzaq
  8. :nzf: :ar: Daniel Vettori
  9. :aus: :bwl: Brett Lee
  10. :ind: :bwl: Umesh Yadav
  11. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon

Overall, I'm very happy with my team. I feel like this team can face almost any team from any decade

@Parth D you have the next pick
Sorry, but he is already Picked in my team.[DOUBLEPOST=1596721141][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'll pick John Reid

An all rounder who could also keep wickets. Will be my keeper for now, until I find someone better.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Changed my pick to another Kiwi allrounder, Nathan Astle. Although he will focus mostly on the batting in my team and only come in with the ball if neeeded

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
81fe8c31c06c8a601558e1e3ee5d8278.png

:eng: :bat: Bill Edrich

Test stats - 2,440 runs @ 40.00 (6 centuries, best 219) in 39 matches
First-class stats - 36,965 runs @ 42.39 (86 centuries, best 267*) in 571 matches

Batting VARP (top order) - :down: 29.61%

Look, a loophole! Had Bill Edrich scored one more run, he would not have been eligible for this draft. But his average of exactly 40 is not "over 40", so he's technically qualified. If anyone minds though, I can change my pick. Okay so first things first, we have Bill Edrich's record in the top order in Test cricket: 2,059 of his runs at 50.21 apiece, with all of his six Test centuries. Those are elite numbers for a top-order Test batsman. And yet his VARP is absolute garbage at minus 30%. There are some unavoidable reasons for that, and their names are: Bradman (1,388 runs @ 81.64), Compton (1,824 runs @ 55.27), Hammond (1,050 runs @ 75.00), Nourse (795 runs @ 66.25) and Paynter (578 runs @ 82.57). This means that Edrich has quite possibly the best "replacement" player of any batsman in history, again showing that VARP is by no means a foolproof measure.

1. :aus: :bat: Keith Stackpole
2. :eng: :bat: Alec Stewart
3. :aus: :bat: Billy Murdoch
4. :eng: :bat: Bill Edrich
5. :aus: :bat: Peter Burge
6. :nzf: :wk: Brendon McCullum
7. :nzf: :ar: Colin de Grandhomme
8. :eng: :ar: David Allen
9. :pak: :bwl: Sarfraz Nawaz
10. :wi: :bwl: Corey Collymore
11. :ind: :bwl: Dilip Doshi

@Parth D still has to make his pick, but I presume it will be an Indian so thought I'd jump in. If you wanted Edrich, you can poach him though!

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Last but not the least...
:bat: Chandu Borde

Chandu-Borde.jpg

Capture.PNG

@Parth D's Final Team
  1. :ind: :bat: Murali Vijay
  2. :ind: :ar: Ravi Shastri
  3. :ind: :bat: Sanjay Manjrekar
  4. :ind: :bat: MAK Pataudi
  5. :ind: :bat: Chandu Borde
  6. :ind: :wkb: MS Dhoni :c::wk:
  7. :ind: :ar: Irfan Pathan
  8. :ind: :ar: Harbhajan Singh
  9. :ind: :bwl: Srinivas Venkataraghavan
  10. :ind: :bwl: Zaheer Khan
  11. :ind: :bwl: Javagal Srinath

@Aislabie @CerealKiller complete the final filler.

:right: So this was my 1st Draft here (got completed first, hence.)

I decided to go with an all out Indian 40-30 Test team, because why not? However, there were so many instances where I was snatched off with many of the brilliant Indian picks by others. But credit to all them of finding excellent Indian picks (and snatching them at the right time). I didn't say a word, okay may be once. Rest of the times, I persevered. And persevered.

Ones those hurt the most:
:ind: :bwl: Ishant Sharma :x:
:ind: :bwl: Javagal Srinath :tick: (replacement)

:ind: :bat: Wasim Jaffer :x:
:ind: :bat: Murali Vijay :tick: (replacement)

:ind: :bwl: Erapilli Prasanna :x:
:ind: :bwl: Srinivas Venkataraghavan :tick: (replacement)

:ind: :bat: Vijay Manjrekar :x:
:ind: :bat: Sanjay Manjrekar :tick: (replacement) [oh the irony!]

*Didn't mention :ind: :ar: Vinoo Mankad as he was already been taken by Yash before even I begun putting up my team.

Good job @Yash., @Akshay., @Aislabie, @Bevab and @ahmedleo414

Didn't tag @CerealKiller in the above list as he didn't pick any Indian player. Thanks bud.​

The true test was in finding the apt batsmen for the apt positions. The Indian contingent is really diverse and batting heavy, although several of those have their averages above 40, hence become invalid. Speaks of the dominance of Indian Batsmen in Tests.

In conclusion, I feel that I still managed to build up a fitting team with batting as well as bowling depth, which is lead by one of the best captains of the game. The final and true judgement though, is in your hand.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Abdul Qadir completes the legspin trio, and the XI. With four pace options, and three spinners, i tried to build a team that could play in most conditions.

CerealKiller’s XI

1. :aus: Victor Trumper :bat:
2. :nzf: John Wright :bat:
3. :eng: Tom Hayward :ar:
4. :aus: Warwick Armstrong :ar:
5. :eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
6. :pak: Asad Shafiq :bat:
7. :eng: Alan Knott :wkb:
8. :pak: Yasir Shah :bwl:
9. :aus: Peter Siddle :bwl:
10. :pak: Abdul Qadir :bwl:
11. :aus: Geoff Lawson :bwl:

@Yash.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Abdul Qadir completes the legspin trio, and the XI. With four pace options, and three spinners, i tried to build a team that could play in most conditions.

CerealKiller’s XI

1. :aus: Victor Trumper :bat:
2. :nzf: John Wright :bat:
3. :eng: Tom Hayward :ar:
4. :aus: Warwick Armstrong :ar:
5. :eng: Ben Stokes :ar:
6. :pak: Asad Shafiq :bat:
7. :eng: Alan Knott :wkb:
8. :pak: Yasir Shah :bwl:
9. :aus: Peter Siddle :bwl:
10. :pak: Abdul Qadir :bwl:
11. :aus: Geoff Lawson :bwl:

@Yash.
Congratulations, you are eligible for PENA Countries!
Could have been PEA had Wright been swapped

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
  1. :sri: :bat: Dimuth Karunaratne
  2. :ind: :ar: Vinoo Mankad
  3. :ind: :ar: Lala Amarnath
  4. :eng: :bat: C. B. Fry
  5. :nzf: :arwk: John Reid
  6. :eng: :ar: Frank Wooley
  7. :wi: :wk: Jeff Dujon
  8. :aus: :ar: Jack Gregory
  9. :eng: :bwl: Steve Harmison
  10. :nzf: :bwl: Ewen Chatfield
  11. :saf: :bwl: Sid Pegler
Jeff Dujon

One of the best wicket keepers to play Test cricket, Jeff Dujon will be my final pick. With a first class average of nearly 40 and 50 centuries, he was a pretty good batsman too. He will play at no. 7 for me, the spot where almost played through his whole career.

So that’s my team. A pretty good team filled with bowling options. Sid Pegler, Mankad, and Wooley will be my spinners, with Chatfield, Harmisson, Gregory, Reid and Amarnath being pace bowling options. All in all, pretty happy with my side.[DOUBLEPOST=1596808650][/DOUBLEPOST]@Bevab

Users who are viewing this thread