Why the IPL is costing the ICC money

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  • T20's are a boring predictable formula, 15 overs of singles and 5 overs of trying to hit sixes, the first 15 overs are unwatchable.
    Same can be said to odi cricket, test cricket and cricket in general or to any sports which you doesn't have interest. I enjoying watching all three formats of the game and ipl for 3 months is worth watching than watching the useless paytm trophies, bilateral series etc.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

• Same can be said to odi cricket, test cricket and cricket in general or to any sports which you doesn't have interest. I enjoying watching all three formats of the game and ipl for 3 months is worth watching than watching the useless paytm trophies, bilateral series etc.

Given how the OP has failed to address any of the points made in response to his initial thread statement(s) and has only devolved to 'I hate T20s and hence T20s bad' in response, I don't think you're going to have much luck reasoning it out with him. :p

In any case if he hates T20s because there are too many singles in it.. T10 is a more suitable format for him to watch methinks. It has just boundary after boundary and very little of those pesky singles.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Some suggest that players are better compensated, financially that is playing in these fast food leagues like IPL. Whilst this is true and I am glad those players can feed their families well and live the rockstar lives. However what about the countless other professionals not part of the IPL and suffering for 3 months of the year because little to no international cricket is being played?

I want some guys outside of India to answer this because its those players from SA, SL, Pak, WI mostly affected!

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

• Same can be said to odi cricket, test cricket and cricket in general or to any sports which you doesn't have interest. I enjoying watching all three formats of the game and ipl for 3 months is worth watching than watching the useless paytm trophies, bilateral series etc.
I think youre missing the point. Test cricket is a true test, hence the name. T20 is basically slogging most of the time, with the same formula, rinse and repeat for each game. Test cricket on the other hand due to its length in one part and also 2 inns brings in more things to consider when approaching the game.

Even ODI cricket is a different formula for most of the games is required, again due to the lenght mostly.

Thats why I personally relate the T20 format to American fast food, salty and oozy, unhealthy and unhygienic.

Now mostly Indians appreciate the IPL and I get that because its being played in India its an Indian thing. What does it do for the rest of the world though? Its taking a financial cut from players outside of India and other international boards.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Imagine wanting the economy of a country to collapse affecting perhaps over a billion people just because you hate a T20 league. :lol:facepalm2:
Oh its way more than cricket my friend. Writing you out my ignore list for the next 72hrs. Don't overindulge lmao.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My two cents.

Before the thread gets closed.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
With no International Cricket for 3 months due to the IPL the ICC is only running at 75 percent of it's maximum earning potential.
3 months with no International Cricket because we are pandering to white ball mercenaries is rubbish, can't we just continue on without them?
A lot of top level players are skipping the IPL these days anyway.

ICC only runs a singular competition each year. The bilaterals are the responsibility of the individual boards. These can be changed to suit each other's likings and are governed (somewhat ambigiously) by the FTP. In the 3 months of IPL, even if some bilaterals are being played, the players prefer to take the shorter route and stick with the IPL. We have seen only the likes of ECB who used to schedule tours during the IPL.

Now, secondly, why only IPL? Top level players are skipping on account of the leagues' gruelling schedule. The very same end up playing in PSL/ SA20 ,100 or anything else cause:
  1. The number of teams is less, so a less demanding schedule
  2. More chances to play in other leagues
If you want to blame IPL, you ought to blame other boards' T20 versions as well. Each one contributes in a similar manner
The ICC is basically cutting it's profits by 25 percent with this ridiculous 3 month window for the IPL, why don't the various International Cricket Boards stand up for themselves and play without those guys.
It doesn't make business sense to cut your profits by 25 percent per year due someone else wanting to make money.

How is the ICC cutting its profits? Per my understanding, the ICC has no takeaways from a bilateral- hosting, ticket sales, TV rights, etc. If the ICC wants to host another ICC event in the year, it will seriously saturate the game. As for the various boards- I believe everyone is standing up for themselves. Playing bilaterals/ triangulars won't help them bring in revenues. Hence, they too are engaging in T20 leagues.

Perhaps, it might be better to rechristen the thread here.

Users who are viewing this thread