1st semi-final: NSW v Victoria at Delhi

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The famous Australian Cricket rivalry heads to Delhi to once and for all split these two sides before the next addition of the T20 Bash kicks off. These two sides played a number of warm up games back in Australia a month ago with Victoria having a slightly better run. This match won't be the first time these two teams have met in India, their first being another warm up played before this tournament where Victoria were comprehensive winners.

For once Victoria didn't start a T20 competition as favourites and even NSW had shorter odds. This meant Victoria came into this tournament slightly under the radar but they quickly rectified this by demolishing Delhi Daredevils, the favourites for this tournament. Since that match, Victoria have almost doubled their T20 total loss record with losses to Wayamba and Cape Cobras. Those two losses highlighted the struggles that the Victorian batters have encountered with not a single Bushranger passing the 50 mark.

The bowling has been the strong point for Victoria with McKay and McDonald outshining some of the better known names in Harwood and Siddle. New Aussie squad member, Jon Holland, has shown glimpses of his potential with accurate bowling and at times impressing the commentators with the amount of turn he was getting. In between those good games he has struggled which is to be expected from the youngster.

NSW come into the game off a relatively easy draw that has seen them avoid playing any of the IPL teams. It took the brilliance of Pollard to stop this smooth running train that has demolished teams through their very experienced bowling attack and youthful batting.

Henriques has started to deliver on the massive potential that has seen him hyped up to be Australia's next all-rounder. He has been able to score freely in each of his innings so far, with his knock against Sussex being the highlight with 51 off just 33 balls. His bowling has in general been good apart from the match against Trinidad & Tobago where he was single handedly taken apart by Kieron Pollard.

The Hughes-Warner combo started to click into gear after the Sussex game where Hughes produced a steady 62 and then backed it up in the next match with 83 from 64 balls. David Warner started the tournament slowly, trying to adjust to the slow nature of the pitches. His adjustment paid off in the match against Trinidad & Tobago where he smashed 63 at a strike rate of 154 and like his opening partner, he backed it up with an even more destructive knock with 40 runs off 16 balls against Somerset.

The NSW bowlers have worked as a team with Brett Lee conceding a miserly 3.6 runs an over, easily the best economy in the tournament. This has allowed the other bowlers to feast on the wickets with Clark and Henriques the benefactors. Doug Bollinger has been giving Katich the blues with only two wickets at an average of 44. Nathan Hauritz has been hard to get away in general while Steven Smith been serviceable to allow Katich some freedom in his bowling choices.

This match could well be decided in the battle between the inform NSW bowling attack and the yet to fire Victorian batting attack.

Team information
NSW will more than likely go into this big match unchanged. If they were to make a change Doug Bollinger would be the most likely to make way for Aaron Bird.

NSW: DA Warner, PJ Hughes, SM Katich*, MC Henriques , BJ Rohrer, SPD Smith, DLR Smith?, B Lee, NM Hauritz, SR Clark, DE Bollinger

Victoria should go into this match unchanged.

Victoria: Quiney, Hodge, White*, Hussey, Blizzard, McDonald, Wade+, McKay, Harwood, Holland, Siddle

nikhil_99

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it will be a close game,if the openers click for NSW,they will win,but if they fail, then cant say much,though they are a good side,T20 is a format where any team can win,i will go with NSW...

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
should be interesting, both sides with some good Aussie Internationals on their squads. I expect a tight and competitive match.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NSW batting definitely could use the top order firing, the middle order is still untested although Rorher has given it some stability and Katich always seems to be down there these days.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Match ups I will be closely watching:
Lee vs Hodge/White/Hussey, should be very interesting.
Warner/Hughes vs Siddle/McDonald.

This will be a battle between the current Aussie Internationals.

As you can see in my profile, I really don't have a favourite.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Who needs cricinfo when you have Syl, nice preview dude. I haven't really watched much of this tournament, but I might wake up early to catch this one (I'm pretty sure Sky is showing it live).

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Haha cheers. And yep amazingly sky is finally showing the rest of the matches live. Still a pain having to wake up at 3.30am but hard to miss this clash.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
I would like to see Victoria go through. And if NSW's reputation precedes their talent, I'm sure they will. Go Bushrangers :happy

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Carn Bushrangers. I was actually disappointed that we're meeting you now Syl, was hoping for a finals clash!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NSW win another toss and like most of the tournament they are batting first. This is the more nervous route for a Blues supporter since the scores are usually low scoring ones and defending them ain't good on the heart!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The Hughes-Warner road train has arrived, what hitting by Warner hes starting to come back to the form that got him picked for Australia. Hughes was on fire too although now hes out to an excellent slower ball by McKay.

Users who are viewing this thread