2006 FIFA World Cup [FIFA 08 PC]

madmusician

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
2006 FIFA World Cup

It is May 2006, and all of England are waiting for the most anticipated World Cup since the famous win in 1966 to begin.

Yet, England are in major difficulty. Following Sven-G?ran Eriksson's meeting with a "fake sheik", he has been sacked by the Football Association. Very few managers put themselves forward for the job, calling it a "poisoned chalice", so the FA made the decision to temporarily appoint a manager for the 6 weeks of the tournament.

The man chosen was the unknown Nick Freestone, manager of Championship side Ipswich Town.

He spoke at a press conference announcing his appointment.

"I honestly cannot wait for the opportunity to manage England. It's the kind of thing you dream of, but you never believe will happen. England have the players, everybody knows that, but thus far they have been unable to fulfil their potential. I aim to change that. If we fly home from Germany without the World Cup then I will be a disappointed man."

Is Freestone setting himself up for a fall, or have England got a genuine chance to win the 2006 FIFA World Cup?

Tough Group for England

England were drawn in a tough group alongside neighbours Germany and France; and Equador.

Only 2 teams progress, so the whole of the country will have to hope that England put in some good performances in the group stages.

At a press conference prior to getting on the plane, Nick Freestone said:

"We need to hit the ground running, no excuses. We have France first up, then Germany. I think we can win all three in the group stage. If we get knocked out, then there's no excuses."

Can England produce the goods for the nation?

Group Match: England v France

Video highlights:

Nick Freestone's Post Match Comments:

"I think we played really well today, Owen and Rooney both shone up front, and there was some excellent action in the midfield. Our defence was a little ropey at times, but Paul Robinson made some excellent saves. In the future I'd like us to capitalise a bit more towards the end - I think we tired, but on the whole - fantastic! We'll go on and play Germany with the same vigour next time and hopefully with a similar result.

If England beat Germany then they can knock Equador off the top spot in the group. Can they do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed...

On a technical note, does anyone know why YouTube has no picture for my video until you hit play?

Group Match: England v Germany

After an optimum start against France, could England reinforce a winning advantage against Germany?

Video Highlights

Nick Freestone's Post Match Comments:

"We were poor today, but 3-1 is a harsh scoreline on us. We relaxed after scoring the opening goal, we relaxed just before half-time and then Ballack scored a fantastic free kick. Before you know it, you're 3-1 down and there's no coming back. I hope we can come back against Equador - if not we're out of the competition."

Join us again for coverage of an all-important crunch match...

Damn that is a bad loss. What was up with Robinson with the first goal :eek: He just sat down :noway

Hopefully we can beat Equador

Thanks all for the positive comments, just doing the final group match now...

Group Match: England v Equador

After a catastrophic loss against Germany, England need to win this match to progress to the Second Round. Can they do it?

Match Highlights:

Nick Freestone's Comments:

"We played really well today. I know after the first goal went in, some people were a little worried, but I knew we could do it. Owen showed that he still deserves to be the premier striker in England, and led the way with his hat trick. It was a superb showing - bring on the Second Round!"

What a mistake by the defender for Owen's first!
England certainly created enough chances, should've won by more. Who's the next game against?

New Zealand - don't laugh...

Let's just say that it wasn't a close match... ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread