Arena das Dunas, Natal

24 June 2014
Costa Rica v England
Est?dio Mineir?o, Belo Horizonte

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Giuseppe Rossi saddened by Italy omission - ESPN FC

Despite his spell on the sidelines, Rossi, 27, felt he had proven that he had returned to peak condition and, via Twitter, dismissed claims he was not fit enough.

"Just ask anybody who has seen the results of the tests last week, and of the game. You'd be surprised. Scared of tackles? What a joke..." he wrote in the first of three tweets on Monday morning.

The suggestion that Rossi had tried to avoid challenges in the 0-0 friendly draw against Republic of Ireland on Saturday appeared to have particularly riled the striker.

"I just think quicker than the defender," he wrote. "Next time I'll act like an amateur and wait for the defender, just so that I can get kicked. That's just a little thing I wanted to make clear. Now the most important thing is supporting Italy, though. Forza Azzurri!!"

So Rossi joins Tevez, Nasri, Donovan as being star players who have been left out by national coaches for reasons that nobody can truly understand.

Last edited:

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^He's only just returned after 5 months out and you expect him to be picked for the World Cup over others who have a whole season of goals/form behind them? Come on now.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^He's only just returned after 5 months out and you expect him to be picked for the World Cup over others who have a whole season of goals/form behind them? Come on now.

Well yea because I've been hearing Coach Prandelli saying all year that Rossi & Balotelli was he preferred strike partnership for the world cup.

Thus I thought he was going to allow Rossi was a special case & was going to make the squad regardless of being on a lenghtly injury lay-off just like others coaches/teams have done the same: Germany/Khedira, England - Rooney/Wilshere, Colombia/Falcao.

But overall as ENG supporters given we are playing Italy, that good news for us. Since Italy are weaker without him & are not as strong as I thought they would be 2 months ago with Rossi, Totti, Montolivio not in the squad now.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Gutted to see Rossi miss out, but clearly the bigger blow happens to be Montolivo imo. Italy's own Henderson. Itay were well in control initially, but Ireland blatantly dominated once he left the field injured. And with the central defence at an all time low (based on performances) for Italy at the moment, Montolivo's absence means De Rossi will fill in at midfield, as opposed to the sweeper role at the back in a 352.

Hope Cassano and Balotelli start upfront. Former's introduction (in place of Immoible) sparked more creativity for the Azzurri in the offensive half.

The most baffling decision from Prandelli though was to take Aquilani to Brazil but leave out Florenzi.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Okay so the team 2moro according to all reports might be this:

---------------------------Foster-------------------------

Milner---------------Jones---------Smalling----------Shaw

--------------------Lampard------Wilshere-----------------

The Ox----------------------Barkley------------Rooney----

----------------------------Lambert-----------------------

----------

World Cup 2014: England fans expected to outnumber Italians for Manaus opener - Telegraph

"Manager Roy Hodgson has spoken to Fifa about allowing regular drinks breaks during the Italy game after both teams agreed on the idea. It is believed players will be allowed one drinks break in each half."

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
I'd like to see some consistency in the line ups being picked for these friendlies but obviously Roy still doesn't know his best team yet.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well the Milner experiment at right-back certainly didn't work.

Defensive lack of experience was exposed a bit especially on the 1st goal. This is where Hodgson risk to pick Shaw was a bit exposed & his selection of Jones/Smalling instead of Caulkner/Curtis Davies.

But on the bright side hopefully Jones/Samlling learn for this experience of playing together at international level.

Unnecessary red card for Sterling, Valencia reacted poorly. Hopefully all is well with Wilshere & The Ox.

That run Barkley made to create the goal for Lambert, is why he should start the world cup. Yaya Toure like trait to take out an entire mid-field with pacy running centrally.

Ecuador a world cup, so England could take heart that Italy drew with a average team like Luxembourg.

Last edited:

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Well the Milner experiment at right-back certainly didn't work.

It certainly didn't. Milner is a hard worker but that's about it, he doesn't excite me one bit. Would've like to have seen either Flanagan or Stones play instead.

Defensive lack of experience was exposed a bit especially on the 1st goal. This is where Hodgson risk to pick Shaw was a bit exposed & his selection of Jones/Smalling instead of Caulkner/Curtis Davies.

Yeah was poor defending all round for their first goal but I was impressed with both Smalling & Jones in the second half, both made some really nice tackles.

Unnecessary red card for Sterling, Valencia reacted poorly.

That red card for Sterling was very harsh in my opinion and as someone else said on twitter I think the referee ''Bottled'' it. It was a yellow at most, as for Valencia it's a straight red as you just cannot put your hands round someone's throat on a football pitch.

Hopefully all is well with Wilshere & The Ox.

What did you make of Wilshere's performance? He made some good runs but he looked completely knackerd early on in the match, i'd rather have Henderson there as his energy levels are much higher.

As for the OX well he had an absolute beauty of a game :yes And I take back what I said the other day about him not being effective on the wings...he was a real threat throughout the game, such power and pace. Providing he hasn't suffered an injury then he MUST start against Italy.

That run Barkley made to create the goal for Lambert, is why he should start the world cup. Yaya Toure like trait to take out an entire mid-field with pacy running centrally.

Yep very impressed with Barkley, lost the ball a few times whilst trying to be positive but as the pundits said he was just playing his natural game and wasn't trying anything different from when he's playing for Everton.

Italy drew with a average team like Luxembourg.

Yeah what a surprising result that was :lol

War

Chairman of Selectors
It certainly didn't. Milner is a hard worker but that's about it, he doesn't excite me one bit. Would've like to have seen either Flanagan or Stones play instead.

Yeah was poor defending all round for their first goal but I was impressed with both Smalling & Jones in the second half, both made some really nice tackles.

What did you make of Wilshere's performance? He made some good runs but he looked completely knackerd early on in the match, i'd rather have Henderson there as his energy levels are much higher.

As for the OX well he had an absolute beauty of a game :yes And I take back what I said the other day about him not being effective on the wings...he was a real threat throughout the game, such power and pace. Providing he hasn't suffered an injury then he MUST start against Italy.

When the teams XI leaked last night i was slightly concerned about Milner playing full-back, even though I've seen him play there (although in a more wing-back position) for Man City a few times. I sort of thought it might have been more wise to partner one of the youngster with Jageilka, since Phil missed a few end of season games & could do with some more minutes.

Jones was picked for his versatility in the main squad, instead of other pure full backs like Flanagan, Walker or Clyne - so its a bit concerning that Hodgson would be picking Milner in the role in practice game.

Wilshere is certainly the best passer next the Gerrard in the deeper mid-field role, - but he is lacking pace & sharpness in his game currently, that made people take notice of him initially.

As you said, maybe the heat got to him - but he seems to be a magnet for tackles.

But i still believe England have to play with 3 mid-fielders, even with Gerrard starting in the 4-2-3-1, ENG do have a tendency to give away balls in the dangerous mid-fielder areas & become vulnerable to counter attacks. Can't afford that vs Italy & Uruguay.

Much more comfortable with him just copy Liverpool's 4-4-2 diamond as i keep stating. That formation allows ENG to pack the mid-field, plus be able to play both Rooney/Sturridge in their preferred striking roles, instead of using them on the wings:

Milner/Henderson battling for one sport as the workhorse mid-fielder & Wilshere/Barkley as energetic/skillfull mid-field. Gerrard the registra & Lallana the triquartisa places are certain.

Plus the The OX once fit & Sterling could play in Lallana's position & Lallana could play deeper if required also.

-------------------Hart--------------------

Johnson------Cahill-----Jagielka-------Baines

-------------------Gerrard--------------------

------Henderson/Milner---------Wilshere/Barkley---

---------------------Lallana------------------

------------Sturridge----------Rooney----------

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread