22 Yards - The Battleground (PC/XBOX 360) - Some Eye Candies in the Thread

So far, what do you feel about this game?

• Total voters

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello Everyone,

Currently we are 3 resources (Me handling all coding, design efforts), Pradeep handling all 3D modelling, Vikas handling all 2D artwork. As you can imagine, if someone is delayed due to any reason (like Vikas broke his arm and leg in accident), Pradeep was pulled into a commercial project for 3 weeks, the work just halts. We need more resources to keep this game on schedule.

We need Hardworking, eager to learn 3D modellers, 3D animators, 2D art developers and if possible C# programmers.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
You can contact
Parth

He might help you, he has good knowledge of coding. He is out of PC due to his sick dad but if you can contact him through Email he might help you :thumbs

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Any 3D modellers or animators out there who are willing to help (we are ready to do business with willing people)

_Nabeel_

Club Cricketer
Any 3D modellers or animators out there who are willing to help (we are ready to do business with willing people)

May I help you on something(eg Player model etc.) I am having some potential at 3d modelling.I think I may help you at some areas,I am not promising to be full time but I will be trying my level best to give you the required models at time.

BTW,I might ask for some as I need to get new resources for modelling.If you agree to it,we may discuss about it further.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
May I help you on something(eg Player model etc.) I am having some potential at 3d modelling.I think I may help you at some areas,I am not promising to be full time but I will be trying my level best to give you the required models at time.

BTW,I might ask for some as I need to get new resources for modelling.If you agree to it,we may discuss about it further.

I am free after 11 pm IST everyday. My chat/Email is [email protected]. You can shoot an email or we can chat.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
We are moving to dedicated servers for code, data, blogs site etc.. so working less on the game. Will be back full strength in a week or so

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Back to Business

July 12th was the last day we did some significant work on 22Yards. Since then some of our 3D artists and 2D artists had issues with their network, computers, some other issues which meant the assets could not be prepared on time. During this time, Das was also planning on bigger things and he set up our own private servers and migrated all code, data, blogs to our new servers. We are in process of creating a site for us and it would take some time. But its exactly two month?s today since we did real work on the game.

Migration meant we could not keep the updates coming on regular basis. Prior to July 12th, we were like 1 month ahead of schedule. Now we are running 1 month behind. Now Das is moving away from Server setup work and will continue to concentrate on the core ? The Game. It should come as no surprise about these delays. We all have been through this and seen it all.

We would also like like to make this announcement that further code changes would not be going to the open source repository at 22yards.codeplex.com but rather to our private servers. This was a tough decision. But we have a business plan in mind which we can leverage in due course of time. And in lieu of this business plan, we have decided to continue working on the private repository. So it would look like that the Open Source initiative is over. Answer to this is yes and no. We are afraid elaborating any further is not possible. Normally in field of cricket games, Business and Quality don?t go hand in hand. But we are sure this is going to be different.

Another area where we are so particular is consumer interest and consumer connect. Our topmost priority is to provide an outstanding game. But equally important is providing an outstanding experience to our consumers. We want to build a closely knitted relation with our consumers so that we can handle their requests, issues with minimal turnaround time.. Building the infrastructure may take some time, but that would not stop either of us from connecting and taking active part of the entire game development process.

We started rolling today? again?

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Checkpoint

Hello All, long time since we posted much. But good news is never far away from 22Yards. Work is back in full flow yet again. Out GFX Engineer?s (Pradeep) computer is lot stable now which allows him to continue with his rigging. He is in constant collaboration with Lead Das to make sure everything is going as per plan.

Yesterday we just managed to meet deadline (actually we missed it by 8 hours) in a significant module. Developing and integrating the Animation library and doing some sanity checks. Now that we have forked out of the open source branch available at 22Yards - The battleground we checked in revision 14 into the appropriate private branch that marked completion of integration of Animation engine. What that means? Well for starters, you can see some life around the ground pretty soon. We are already late on this as we mentioned earlier due to unavoidable circumstances.

We are investing time not only in raw development, but also in organizing things. If you have been following the blogs, you would get a feeling how much Das stresses on organizing stuff. So what?s new over there. We are using some professional methods of tracking Tasks, Projects, Bugs, Deadlines. Actually these things helped us achieve this specific deadline with minimal overdue. Real success to start with.

We don?t have the workforce as of now to work independently on different things at the same time. I brought this point because we are also working on a portal for 22Yards. It would be the transparent interface between team of 22Yards and our customers. Creating outstanding games and pairing them with outstanding support is our key to success. This is not possible without an interface where consumers can?t express their thoughts to us directly. It may take some time before that portal real comes up. But as soon as its ready we will sending out beta invites and allow to participate in key events during the development phase and be a part in the overall design. Exciting??

Yeah that?s why we are here.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Continuous Integration with 22Yards

There are many aspects in making a great product even better. But in this blog post, we would like to discuss about one specific point ? Continuous integration. CI is an unsung hero, but the job of CI is to remain in background and hide as much details as possible. This blog is definitely not a gyan session about the continuous Integration itself but some ideologies behind the implementation at DET Labs and an XNA project.
Our game uses XNA framework 4.0 among other things. XNA is not a game engine, but a Framework. When the development started, it consisted of couple of projects. In due course it has grown to about 37 projects, implementing different modules all interacting with each other. Not to mention additional projects covering the test framework. So how can a One-man army handle this? Well, for small projects use Visual Studio to develop and link all projects to one solution. keep the complete solution in a safe folder, continually back it up etc..Another developer might host the code in a Source control.and keep checking it in at necessary intervals, so that he can track all changes and revision.

How do you tackle scenarios, where you start assigning separate projects to different developers, Test Developers etc.? Obviously it?s a good sign that you are expanding. But what does the workflow look like now? Where do you run the 10s of thousands of test cases? Imagine all developers running test cases on their development boxes and then committing. Imagine fixing a single line of code and for that opening up the entire solution, making the change, running the Unit tests and then checking in. Isn?t this a waste of time? It is, for most scenarios and more importantly for our scenario. Another scenario is where you deploy often. How do you package this and deploy? What if you want to keep an archive of Daily/Monthly builds? These are age-old questions and this is an age old problem which fortunately is solved pretty fairly with the help of Continuous Integration. CI is not a tool, but a process to be precise.

So here is how we are going to streamline our task at hand.

1) Have a central Source code repository ?> For our centralized needs we are using SVN. So all check-ins goes to svn server.

2) Automate Code Analysis and Code compliance policies at Central server. ?> We ought to place quality gates. If the code that?s checked-in doesn?t meet the coding bar, then its not going to be built. Let?s notify the guy who checked-in and rectify that.

3) Automate Build process on Central server/Run Tests on Central server. ?> Let?s decouple the tasks. Let tests be run on server (for example on any change detected to Source). Let the build be done on the server. So that for a developer all he/she needs to do is, write proper code as per Specifications. Rest all is taken care in the hindsight. This way we also get a loosely coupled Test and Dev framework.

5) Notify build breaker in case Build breaks or test fails and do post build stuff (lets say, revert to previous successful build, notify which test failed etc.). Every member in the project team need not panic on build failures.

6) If all steps complete successfully,archive the package or deploy it.

7) With all this, still allow Developers/Testers to have their own copy of project which they can build on their machine (for example, if they are trying to give a private instrumented binary to customer or test it out ourselves).

With around 4 days of relentless work and lot of study about our precise requirements and various offerrings, this is what we have achieved so far.

1) Continuous Integration with our main project using open source CruiseControl.net
2) Automated Builds for each Project using free MSBuild
3) Automated Daily Builds for Main project.
3) Automated Builds for Depending and Dependent projects.
4) Auto notification of Builds Success and Build Failures using hMailServer.
5) Our Custom versioning of DLLs and EXEs.
6) Auto Archiving of Daily Builds to separate Server
7) Automatic BugID URL generation for each build that is caused by a Code change which is associated with a Bug ID (3 Level Indirection) using BugNet URL.

This was an eventual step that we can?t do away with and this is a big step in ensuring that time is saved, manual work is automated and quality is not compromised. This small investment of time will save us tons of time and money. There are couple of key things that are left to be implemented, like Integrating our Test Framework in CI and Post-commit Code Analysis. These are work in progress but hoping to complete them sooner rather than later.

Note: The guy who implemented all this would be sharing his adventures in his blog post too, so check that out for the nitty-gritty.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Thanks for feedback. I will pass this to our 3D developers for the final piece (BTW this was done by me). The main idea was to get the stadium in game and have physics incorporated, which is achieved.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
the previews are looking awesome :clap
KIU guys!

Users who are viewing this thread