2nd T20I England v Australia at Melbourne

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Or maybe they are underbowling him because they dont trust/rate his bowling much anymore?

He had 3 pretty good spells last season for England. For the 6th bowler, they are decent spells.

5th ODI: England v Pakistan at Southampton, Sep 22, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
1st ODI: England v Australia at Southampton, Jun 22, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd ODI: England v Australia at Cardiff, Jun 24, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Nothing fantastic, but those 2 wickets v Aus were pretty good. I don't think he should be in the side atm, but England haven't utilised him with the ball.

With Collingwood's inevitable departure from all things England, there's going to be a space up for grabs soon. Though there is competition, the likes of Bopara, etc.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
You have to be careful with what you try to transfer from one format to another.

Hussey's darts are tidy in T20, but there's no evidence to suggest he's all-rounder quality in a longer game. It's the sort of bowling that is good as long as you can accept 5-6 singles an over in most conditions. I'd actually argue that Hodge is significantly better.

Agree totally with this - but even in T20, I'm not sure why Dave Hussey suddenly becomes some a fantastic bowling option when he plays for Australia. O'Keefe and Smith were passed over for Hussey last night and it hasn't been the first time Dave's bowled more overs than a more credentialed spinner for no apparent reason.

And just thought I'd comment on Dave's batting. Notice that there was much rejoicing when M.Clarke gave up T20, yet when they tell Dave Hussey that he is doing the same job (the steadier - come in after 6 overs, work the spinners, push hard for 2s job) that he suddenly has strike rate issues. I think you are always going to have one player in your T20 team that won't strike as highly as the others. Someone has to be that guy who takes a more responsible approach. I don't think that player should be Michael Clarke, I'm just saying that Pup was getting way too much crap for being that guy. Welcome to reality Aussie fans.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think 117 is your target strike rate in good conditions for the 'T20 accumulator'. This is the sort of game that Dravid and Kallis play at the top of the order, but it's part of Brad Hodge's game too. Sometimes players are criticised for it, but often it is down to the partnership and whether the guy at the other end is taking advantage of a steady partner or even copying him.

It's interesting to look at partnerships in terms of individual strike rates because there's so much variance and so many combinations that make a good one. You often see very one-sided partnerships and the dominant partner in one can be found giving the strike away in the next.

Say you want to see a healthy 8 rpo; if the batsmen each score the same rate, then the magic number is 133. If one guy's SR is 150, then the other need only 117, assuming they face the same amount of balls; the Finch/Smith 50 partnership the other night was about 60/40 in terms of BF. In that situation, Smith only needed a SR of 96, only 4 more runs to get the partnership to 8 rpo.

Of course, extras go into the run-rate outside of strike-rates. 2 runs for a no-ball can be quite the short term boost.

So it goes to show that good partnerships are more important than having every batsman attempt to go ballistic; but of course we all knew this :p

War

Chairman of Selectors
You have to be careful with what you try to transfer from one format to another.

Hussey's darts are tidy in T20, but there's no evidence to suggest he's all-rounder quality in a longer game. It's the sort of bowling that is good as long as you can accept 5-6 singles an over in most conditions. I'd actually argue that Hodge is significantly better.

I see more of a niche for Finch's strength. I don't know if you can count on getting a 'bunsen burner' for an ODI wicket, but you can probably expect to see surfaces as slow as that. Although I'd still be hesitant to back a player who hasn't done a whole lot domestically, he has the potential to win matches and that carries a player some distance.

Or has we saw in the first ODI last night. Maybe Dussey just bowls darts in T20s because thats suited for that format & he can mix up his pace in ODIs.

I'd argue Dussey is better part-time offie Hodge actually.

----------

Agree totally with this - but even in T20, I'm not sure why Dave Hussey suddenly becomes some a fantastic bowling option when he plays for Australia. O'Keefe and Smith were passed over for Hussey last night and it hasn't been the first time Dave's bowled more overs than a more credentialed spinner for no apparent reason.

Dussey in T20s is basically a all-rounder & his spin bowling is definitely more solid that Smith. O'Keefe also really shouldn't be in the T20 side although he is ok.

And just thought I'd comment on Dave's batting. Notice that there was much rejoicing when M.Clarke gave up T20, yet when they tell Dave Hussey that he is doing the same job (the steadier - come in after 6 overs, work the spinners, push hard for 2s job) that he suddenly has strike rate issues. I think you are always going to have one player in your T20 team that won't strike as highly as the others. Someone has to be that guy who takes a more responsible approach. I don't think that player should be Michael Clarke, I'm just saying that Pup was getting way too much crap for being that guy. Welcome to reality Aussie fans.

Wake up to what?. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here my friend.

Ok yes Dussey had two slowish innings in these two T20 innings. But i'm not sure how now you are now managing to use those two games as comparison to Clarke joke T20 career batting. I know you know very well that those innings dont represent what Dussey can do in T20s, since we both know what he has been doing in the last 2 years in the T20 side in the role as a late order hitter.

Secondly no, you dont need a player who wont strike it high. If you can avoid picking such players, then you should certainly try your best not to pick them. Since the more hitters (hitters who know are erudite enough to pick & chose the right balls & situations to go ballistic) in your top 7 the better.

Australia certainly are struggling for those type of players in the T20 side. So no reason why such players should play for AUS.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I'm just trying to say that usually someone 'takes one for the team' and plays more responsibly. If all of your top 7 go out and try and smash it, it doesn't work unless you get off to an excellent start and can afford to slog mindlessly. Hussey was trying to play more responsibly and his strike rate suffered for it. That's what I'm saying. Nothing personal against Dave, and nothing personal for Clarke. Just an observation of what happened.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Or as we saw in the first ODI last night. Maybe Dussey just bowls darts in T20s because thats suited for that format & he can mix up his pace in ODIs.
What, a 110 kph dart followed by a 95 kph dart not enough for you?

War

Chairman of Selectors

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
You ought to have a look back @ the speeds Dussey bowled throughout his 6 overs. Deliveries as slow as 51 ks & as high as 66ks, which clearly shows he was mixing it up. Thats totally different to howl he bowls in T20, where he pretty much always between 59-66 ks bowling darts.

Thats unbelievably slow bowling there...

War

Chairman of Selectors
In a ODI 51ks is the slowest a spinner would go in general. You would hardly see them in the 45-50 k range as they would in test matches.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I just don't see your point. He doesn't flight the ball and his slowest deliveries are still quickish flat skidders. It's not like he's suddenly a vastly different bowler, in fact they played him like it was a T20 anyway, which contributed to his effectiveness.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't think even Dave cares what speed he bowls. Except how quickly he can get through an over. That seems to be the only good thing I hear about his bowling from the commentators 'gee he gets through his overs quickly'. I'd love to know what the selectors and captains like about his bowling. Going by the usual stupidity going around Australian cricket at present, it's probably for the same reason - quick overs. It's good if there's just been a wicket and you can squeeze some cheap overs in, but other than that I really can't see any point in him bowling a lot. It's a dumb selection, just like repeatedly picking Marcus North because he could bowl.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I just don't see your point. He doesn't flight the ball and his slowest deliveries are still quickish flat skidders. It's not like he's suddenly a vastly different bowler, in fact they played him like it was a T20 anyway, which contributed to his effectiveness.

Nah thats not true. I certainly remmeber in his first over these two deliveries:

quote said:
7.4 DJ Hussey to Davies, FOUR, 55.5 mph, wonderful shot to bring up the fifty, a length ball just outside off, Davies responds with a lofted inside-out drive over extra cover, ball speeds away for a boundary

quote said:
7.5 DJ Hussey to Davies, 1 bye, 58.1 mph, not as good from Davies this time, and Haddin misses a stumping, Davies was looking for another big hit, coming down the track and aiming for the long-on boundary, he misses the ball which stays low, sneaks past legstump, Haddin doesn't collect and Davies' charmed life continues

THese weren't flat skidders, he attempted to flight the ball here.

Plus given he was brought into the power-play overs early with Strauss/Davies off the madd start. Given he is no Swann/Saqlain & cant beat batsmen in the air with flight/turn. As a part-time spinner his best option to keep the runs down or get AUS a wicket was to bowl his usually darts.

It was as you said a T20 like scenario & it helped him for sure. Which was good tactical work from Clarke, since he understood how to use him.

Users who are viewing this thread