Tutorial: 3d modeling Tutorial:Serie 1

_Nabeel_

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello guys,I planned to release a tutorial series,at least one tutorial per week.
The following tutorial is of modelling a small 3d wooden cabin.This model is easiest as it do not includes the complicated things.

q23jnaysk86c7ru95bmr.png

In this week,I have introduced only these tools of 3ds max:

Move
Rotate
Scale
Clone

These are the basic tools of 3ds max and should be known by every guy who has interest in 3d modelling.

I have used only one modifier so that you can understand the things better.

Lets start with the tutorial:

Open your 3ds max exe.You can see tool ports all the four sides but there is one thing special in right side's tool port.The names of geometrical objects are present there.Click on the Box button and with your mouse in any viewport creat a rectangular vertical box as below:

myapm1jl61at9quphk8j.png

scale the box to give it a proper shape.Right click on box,you will find scale option,The three colored arrows are X,Y and Z lines or you can say length,breadth and height.

This is our first wooden plank.but you need many for your small wooden cabin.For this there is another tool called clone.Right Click on the box,you will find a clone option,click it

03384c6m63a0li9be2vt.png

Now a window opens asking you which type of clone you want,select Instance or copy but not reference.
Similarly do this 4 times,after this you will get the first side of your cabin which will look like this:

ugxw7z5730bh2m8ocgp.png

Select all the four boxes and clone them again,Right click on them and select Rotate option.

dqlpy0uj8edgcdh2x7jn.png

Rotate the sides 90 degrees.You will find three circles,Red,blue and green,these are same as scaling ones.Rotate the sides along X-axis,Do the step 2 times more,You get your basic model.

26l9qq1dfj1cpkw2lzwr.png

Now,create a new box horizontally,Rotate it to show it realistic.Right click on the box,select Move option you will find 3 same colored line and these all stand same as Scale and rotating ones. move it above,on the door.choose any side as your door.

Do this again to have 2 wooden joints to hold your door's planks.Do this step on all three sides atleast 1 time.

45arq22l8ovix5kxaah.png

Have a look on your model from all sides,for this you have to select a tool,Look at the lower right corner,there is an option same as shown in the pic,select it,you will find a circle,click inside the circle and move your cursor,you can now view any side of your cabin.

To make your cabin more realistic,click on ending planks of all the three sides(not the door) and scale them bit longer.Create a new box similarly and horizontally which will act as your roof.
After doing this,your cabin should look like this:

vot4ls630rtd9oa8l1k7.png

Create another box on your door as below,this will be our handle.Create this box with length segmen=1,hieght segment =3 and breadth segment =1.

du0nalwaseu91xj2rcb1.png

Right click on the box,go to last option change to and select Editable Poly.

yxdqnw7ass2i2irahe0.png

select the middle 4 vertices and move them along X-axis.Select vertex option,select vertices you have to adjust and then adjust those with move and Rotate tools.settle the vertices of handle in such a way that it acquires the shape as below:

6t616eqiihnxm7oc2lxg.png

You got your model ready.

Now you need to texture your model.For this you should have a rough template.select on the rainbow shaped button,scroll down and select UVW unwrap and select EDIT button

cgwxluuu877mc7h5xkah.png

ynqytud27lmu0gsyx3.png

a new window opens,you will find some lines,these are the different faces of your wooden plank,set the faces in your suitable way.Save your map in UVW format.Select tools and then select Render UVW template,this will render a Picture format file on which you have to texture.Save the file and texture it.

ef4vgd3ma2xdise7937o.png

I have attached the UVW maps of Handle and Wooden Plank,you can download and Load them,to Load you have to select UVW Unwrap and then select Load button,select my UVW maps,you are done.

Applying Texture:

To apply Texture,Tap M key of your keyboard,A new window opens with grey colored circles.

epswd97nscexls9yn51.png

To load your texture file,Click on the blank small button next to Diffuse,a window opens,double click on Bitmap,and now search for your image,Load it,To apply click on the button showing earth and a box,and then select Checkered cube.You have applied your texture.

2tj56oglfparrrrvfdnm.png

Do same with handle and roof.You are done with your cabin.To render an image of your cabin,Tap F9 key.

Congrats You learned the Basic tools of 3ds Max!

Last edited:

Pranav

ICC Board Member
That's a pretty well explained tutorial, Nabeel. I haven't laid my hands on 3Dmax yet, but when I do, I'll surely have a look at this tutorial. :)

I'll add it up in the tutorials thread as well.

Thank you.

Viral Shah

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I will surely try this after 6 months when my 3rd semester start which is of 3d.

Users who are viewing this thread