3rd ODI: Australia v England at Sydney

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Finally getting into some solid cricket again before the break to Wednesday. Bit strange why Channel 9 didn't ask for some more Friday matches.

Anyway more injury concerns, this would be a great chance to give Hastings another go but looks like Johnson in for Tait and Doherty for Hauritz.

Replacements have to be found for Nathan Hauritz and Shaun Tait, which isn't too hard. Xavier Doherty played in the opening ODI before being dropped when he wasn't in the World Cup squad. A spinner is important in Sydney, so Doherty can expect a recall. Mitchell Johnson missed the Hobart fixture with a throat infection, but he can step in for Tait if he has recovered.

Australia (possible) 1 Shane Watson, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Michael Clarke (capt), 4 Cameron White, 5 David Hussey, 6 Shaun Marsh, 7 Steven Smith, 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Xavier Doherty, 11 Doug Bollinger.

Andrew Strauss felt he was a fast bowler short in Hobart, which makes the offspinner James Tredwell vulnerable. Chris Woakes or Luke Wright could both come in, with Tim Bresnan hurting his calf in Hobart. What England really want is the return of James Anderson, who isn't available until Adelaide after taking time off back home.

England (possible) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Michael Yardy, 8 Luke Wright, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 Ajmal Shahzad.

Australia v England: Injuries hurt winning Australia | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Roofrom50

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Damn that is some bad luck from Hauritz. First game back in the side when he was well deserved to be their, and get's injured first match. Doherty will come in, but having him and Smith in the same side does worry me. Johnson will come in and hopefully perform.

Num

Club Cricketer
Apparently Siddle will be replacing Tait in the line-up. Why not Hastings? He's the guy in the WC squad, shouldn't the selectors be trying to give him as many ODIs as possible prior to the World Cup in the case he's needed to replace one of our pace bowlers?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Pretty sure that is for the squad, if Siddle is in before Hastings then that is the final nail in the coffin for the selectors.

midgetwars

Club Captain
This would be my Team:

Marsh
Watson
Ferguson
Paine
Finch
Clarke
O'Keefe
Doherty
Lee
Starc
Hazlewood

Imagine if Watson+Marsh played like they did in they're best performances...

0/270

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
So back to chasing again

Australia 1 Shane Watson, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Shaun Marsh, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Cameron White, 6 David Hussey, 7 Steven Smith, 8 John Hastings, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Xavier Doherty, 11 Doug Bollinger

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Ian Bell, 5 Eoin Morgan, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Luke Wright, 8 Michael Yardy, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Ajmal Shahzad, 11 Chris Tremlett

Great to see Hastings given a go and Marsh at 3 allowing everyone to get back to their normal spots. Dussey started the last match off right now he has to go on.

----------

What has he done?

Groin strain. 3rd ODI: Australia v England at Sydney, Jan 23, 2011 | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Why don't they play White at 3? He was brilliant against us in England when he batted there.

This has got a big score from Collingwood written all over it, if you ask me.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
More to keep him in the same position he will be playing in the WC.

Seems strange to me. If I was a coach, I'd want my WC players to get as much time in the middle as possible before the tournament starts, even if it does mean batting a position or two higher than they will.

Users who are viewing this thread