Online Cricket Games Owned
1.Shane Watson
2.Simon Katich
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Michael Clarke
5.Michael Hussey
6.Marcus North
7. Graham Manou (Or Hadds if he`s back)
8.Mitchell Johnson(He bowled way better yesterday)
9.Nathan Hauritz
10.Brett Lee
11.Ben Hilfenhaus

12.Peter Siddle

Eon

Club Cricketer
This is straight from fantasy land here lol

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Micheal Clarke
5. Marcus North
6. Brad Haddin/ Graham Manou (depending on fitness of Haddin)
7. Dave Warner (this being the fantasy part lol)
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Nathan Hauritz (depending on the pitch, if a good seaming deck then Clark)
10. Peter Siddle
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

I just think that someone like dave warner could play a role similar to what gilly did with the bat, plus he is a gun in the field and apparently he bowls a bit of leg spin. With his popeye forearms you would think he could get a fair bit of turn.

told you its from fantasy land lol

Owzat

International Coach
While I wouldn't want to make changes as consistency is a key element to a successful side, players who aren't pulling their weight might as well be replaced by someone who might/will.

ENGLAND SERIES AVERAGES

Batting

Strauss : 309 runs @ 61.80
Bell : 53 runs @ 53.00
Collingwood : 221 runs @ 44.20
Flintoff : 171 runs @ 42.75
Pietersen (unavailable) : 153 runs @ 38.25
Prior : 180 runs @ 36.00
Swann : 106 runs @ 35.33
---------------------------------------------
Cook : 143 runs @ 28.60
Broad : 104 runs @ 26.00
Anderson : 77 runs @ 25.67
Bopara : 104 runs @ 20.80

Bowling

Onions : 8 wkts @ 27.88
Anderson : 12 wkts @ 31.50
Flintoff : 7 wkts @ 48.57
Swann : 6 wkts @ 57.50
Broad : 6 wkts @ 57.50
Panesar (dropped) : 1 wkt @ 115.00

The following are seriously not carrying their weight enough :

COOK : scored 95 but that's over 2/3 of all his runs and he is averaging a meagre 12.00 from his other four innings (4 inns, 48 runs)

BOPARA : highest score of 35 that was thoroughly unconvincing. How can you give a fourth Test to someone averaging 20.80 and yet to score more than 35!?!?!?!

BROAD : a decent 55 in the last Test, nearly treble his previous highest series score, but batting down at no 8 his wickets have to be the major factor in his selection/retention and six in three Tests is not enough (for a seamer) I'd rather have a wicket or two more a Test than his runs, Swann and Anderson have also scored runs so his runs aren't as key as many seem to make out.

SWANN : only thing in his favour is he is our no 1 spinner at the moment, unless we want to throw someone like Rashid in at the deep end. One thing in his favour over Broad is he took 4/87 in a previous Test to help win it, Broad's 2/38 was his best figures of the series.

BEST BOWLING OF ASHES SERIES (COMBINED

5/80 Anderson (ENG)
5/92 Flintoff (ENG)
4/58 Onions (ENG)
4/87 Swann (ENG)
4/103 Hilfenhaus (AUS)
3/63 Hauritz (AUS)
3/89 Siddle (AUS)
3/87 Johnson (AUS)
2/38 Broad (ENG)
1/12 Clarke (AUS)
1/38 Collingwood (ENG)
1/115 Panesar (ENG)

So Broad is the only frontline bowler bar Panesar (1 Test) not to have taken 3+ wickets in an innings. Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, Anderson, Hilfenhaus and Swann are all averaging 18+ with the bat so Broad is not proving leagues ahead on that score either. So he offers no great volume of wickets and no great match-winning threat either - with bat or ball. That 55 was a good knock, but perhaps simply bit into England's bowling time and his contribution was the pick but maybe a 4 or 5 wicket haul would have been more useful towards winning the Test. If anything his 55 delayed us bowling and pushed the game closer towards a draw.

We can't afford to have Swann, Flintoff AND Broad in the bowling attack if they're not going to pose constant threats. Flintoff and Swann have match-winning potential, Broad is at best offering 1-2 wickets and that isn't enough if Flintoff and Swann don't fire as it means we rely too heavily on Anderson and Onions.

So I'd be tempted to drop Bopara, Cook and Broad. Broad for lack of wickets, Cook for lack of contributions (1 in 5) and Bopara for being too weak a no 3 and not looking a Test cricketer against this level of opposition. Maybe give Bopara time AFTER this series, but for now he is simply not scoring enough runs.

Last edited:

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'd have exactly as what it is now, but drop Siddle for Clark or Hauritz for Clark varying on the pitch.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Now that Hughes has been dropped, I won't bring him back yet.

1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. North
7. Haddin/Manou (depends on Haddin's finger)
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Clark
11. Hilfenhaus

Dropping Siddle is hard, but I just couldn't leave Clark out. We need him, I think he should have played each of the first three tests so far.

joshuaa21

School Cricketer
Now that Hughes has been dropped, I won't bring him back yet.

1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. North
7. Haddin/Manou (depends on Haddin's finger)
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Clark
11. Hilfenhaus

Dropping Siddle is hard, but I just couldn't leave Clark out. We need him, I think he should have played each of the first three tests so far.
Big move not to bring Binga into the side!

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Big move not to bring Binga into the side!

I didn't even think of him.

Anyway, he is just back from injury, he's not match fit. Johnson is our spearhead, he will come good. Clark needs to be there. Hauritz and Hilfenhaus are undroppable. Johnson would be the only change possible, but would be stupid to make 2 changes, plus the spearhead, just when he looks in good touch.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not going to happen but if I could

Hughes (Watson)
Katich
Ponting
Watson (Clarke)
Clarke (North)
North (Hussey)
Haddin/Manou
Johnson
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

As I said in the Hussey thread, I feel he is better off going back down to 6. We need our number 4 to be converting his 50s into 100s. At least at 6 Hussey's 50 isn't as bad since your number 6 isn't as expected to make 100s compared to your number 4.

Playing Lee is too much of a risk atm, he could well do a Siddle and go at 4 an over and thus we have gone no where. His reverse swing is tempting and he can get swing at times but we don't know where his form is at since he got injured. Just have to see how McGrath went in the last Ashes series here to know how much an injury can have on form.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
No changes except Clark in for Hauritz/Siddle/Johnson for me.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Ravi Bopara
4. Ian Bell
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Matt Prior (wk)
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Graeme Swann
9. James Anderson
10. Ryan Sidebottom
11. Graham Onions

I would make one change, Sidebottom for Broad.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Depends if Fred's fit for mine, if Freddie's injured, then Broad has to bat 7, as I'd much rather have him in the side ahead of Bresnan or another batsman. Harmison would then come in for Fred, and bat below Broad and Swann. If Fred is fit, then I'd be very tempted to bring Harmy in, but I thought Broad bowled alot better yesterday, the over to get Hussey was excellent. Very tough choice, but I'd probably stick with Broad. I'd certainly have Harmison ahead of Sidebottom, even if it normally swings at Headingley, we've got enough swing bowlers, Harmy offers something different.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Your a Broad fan boy though! He is a failure! We have carried him for far too long and it's not as if he had done a Mitchell Johnson before and won us a series and looked threatening every over. I don't care he can bat, if he can bat and deserves to be in the team as a batsmen then fine, but he is here as a bowler and untill he starts taking wickets regularly in the CC he can't play with big boys.

When little children play with fire they get burnt!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I was. I've realised in this series that he's not as good as I was hoping he would be, but he did bowl well yesterday, and showed marked improvement, and more importantly got himself a couple of wickets. He took 7/106 in the 1 Championship game he played for Notts this season as well, so it's not like he's got no wickets in FC cricket. His innings with the bat was very good as well, was exactly what was needed from him at the time. I'd stick with him, especially if Fred's injured.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
He didn't bowl that well yesterday, Strauss only used him when the match was over and when he did bowl it wasn't anything fantastic. Looked very Mitchell Johnson like (this series form) with the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread