90 Minutes (fm07)

sammiller

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As I cleaned off the last scratch of Fish and chips off my well designed plate, an overwhelming tiredness struck me down, and I whimpered off to bed, the warm covers forcing a heavy sweat in the hot summer period, even at such a late time. As I managed to drift off into a world of football dominated dreaming, a sudden catalogue of freakish images swept upon myself, and I shook violently in my sleep, getting hotter and hotter, before waking up soaked in sweat, almost as if I had been running a marathon in the Sahara desert. I looked in the mirror and saw the reflection of a terrified man, yet this was not a one time occurance. This dream had haunted me for months now, and my lack of employment gave me time to contemplate this sick imagery.

It dated back to April 2006, a time where I was coach at Burnley. As a Blackburn fan, this was uncomfortable enough, but my departure only made me loathe the Clarets even more. There were some decent Burnley folk around, and I often used to go around Burnleys town with friends, grabbing something to eat in one of a few decent restaurants. However, upon my departure, it emerged amongst a few that I was a Blackburn lad and fan. I wasn't high profile, but the sheer hatred in East Lancashire forced them to conspire against me, ending in a scary encounter outside a Burnley pub. After a quiet drink with some friends I was met with a flurry of drunken punches and mad faces, with one threatening to kill me. These faces and the flicker of a blade was the pictures in my sleep, as I honestly feared death that night, only to be saved by heroic onlookers who grabbed me and pulled me to safety. I hated the Burnley lot more from there!
The month or two from there have been a whirlwind of boredom and reflection, as I was jobless and in desperate need of money. My GCSE's couldn't help - I dropped them as I wanted to be a professional footballer. However, early promise was eradicated by a troublesome hamstring, which was as tight then as my finances are now. I lived in a small Burnley flat and had little job opportunities outside the beautiful game.
I flickered on the Tv to be met with some shocking news:

"Mark Hughes quits as boss of Blackburn"

I was shocked, failing to see reason, allegedly a dispute over transfer funding, although many saw fit to speculate he was eyeing a move to a bigger team. I saw my chance and quickly dialled Blackburn with a job application. After a few frantic calls back and forth they arranged me an interview for the following day. One problem: I had no suit and little money. I grabbed my credit card and raced into town, and managed to grab a nice suit at a low price, before getting an early night ahead of a busy tomorrow. I drifted off into a sleep, this time not accompanied by nightmares, but of dreams of myself holding a Blackburn flag above my head faced by flashing cameras?.
The next day I arrived at the club to meet John Williams for the interview, the clock at 9am and my body filled with nerves and my body uncontrollably sweating with anxiety. As I spoke to the chairman, I felt in a different galaxy, like my mindset had transferred itself from reality into the dreams of the football lifestyle. The interview seemed to be going well, and I substituted my lack of experience with broad knowledge of the beautiful game, outlining my plan from both a tactical and a personal perspective, showing Mr Williams I was more than prepared for the task ahead. The talk ended after a gruelling couple of hours, and I left confident that I was would be a forerunner for the greatest accolade a man could get: To be in charge of the team I love. How is something work/a job if it?s the thing you aspire to do more than anything?
The following day I arose to a brisk sunlight shining through my blue curtains, hopefully with the promise of a brighter day to the ones I had previously endured. After a few hours of meaningless rest I received a call?.on the other end of the phone was John Williams, asking me to come and meet him immediately. I raced off, greeted by a warm handshake. He told me he was pleased with my application and offered me the coveted position as Rovers boss. I duly accepted, with the world seemingly spinning around me, with past memories eradicated and a new beginning ensured. To call it the greatest moment of my life so far was an understatement. I swiftly called my family to inform them of the good news, and the coming night celebrated by opening a 10 year old bottle of champagne. I was ready to leave Burnley, looking out my window at the backdrop of terraced housing and smashed windows. My bags were packed, I was ready!

The first meeting was regarding his outlined plans and the transfer budget, and I was quietly satisfied with what was on the table. ?5,500,000 was good enough for me, and his plans of a mid table finish were realistic in my eyes. I left the meeting with a broad smile, prepared for the long, challenge ahead.

Last edited:
Great start! Suprised you were a coach at Burnley:p Mid table eh? Not relegation:p How what number of portions of fish and chips did you have!?:p

Anyway, excellent start, a lot of detail!

Great start! I love these type of stories. Good luck!

?Hi, this is Simon Garner and Kevin Gallagher on BRFCTV, bringing you the latest in news from Blackburn Rovers.?

BREAKING NEWS:

?John Williams is holding a press conference now, reportedly unearthing who will be the new Rovers manager, we will transfer you there immediately.?

John Williams:

?I am very pleased to announce that the decision of whom will take over Mark Hughes as Blackburn manager has been resolved, and a new manager is in place. Instead of taking the usual route and appointing somebody based on experience, me and the board have decided that we want somebody who will bring freshness to the club and ensure exciting times for me, and most importantly, the supporters. The person chosen may provoke a reaction of surprise, although we can ensure that this man was the best man for the job, shown by the plans he outlined and his commitment to taking our club forward. May I introduce to you, new Blackburn Rovers manager, Sam Miller?

I walked into the room, faced by flashing photography and bewildered faces. I received a warm yet icy reception, with many clearly stunned that me, and not another high profile manager had been appointed. I sat down, bottle of water by my side, nervously in the firing line trying to counter a number of questions faced by the media.

?What are your ambitions for the forthcoming season??

?I aim to prioritise stability, hopefully slowly helping the club progress without making any changes that are completely radical, as that is potentially a recipe for disaster. Hopefully, we can consolidate a mid table finish, firstly reaching the 40 point target, and from there building. However, the foundations will be to avoid relegation, taking it one step at a time.?

?What do you think the fans will think, firstly you being inexperienced and secondly with your connections to Burnley??

?I would hope they will warm to me, although I expect a difficult start as there are many unanswered questions. My inexperience is obviously something which may leave the fans feeling a state of unease, although I can ensure that I will substitute experience with ability and motivational skills, both notable attributes. The club could do with freshening up and I believe I am the man to do this. My Burnley connections shouldn?t be a worry, as I was only a coach for a short while and things didn?t go well there anyway, and I?ve been a Blackburn fan all my life, born and bred! There is no doubt as to where my allegiance lies.?

?Are you prepared for the obvious pressure??

?100%. If I wasn?t, then I?m in the wrong business.?

The media then frantically began to question John Williams, as I sat there, answering the odd questions and basically looking good for the flashing cameras. After that was over, I was pleased I could finally get on with my job without worrying about looking good for the cameras. I met the players and carried out my first training session, before leaving for my office, where I contemplated future purchases and issued some scout reports, which I was sure would arrive back on my desk the following morning.
After scouting David Clarkson and Darren Barr, I decided to make bids for the two, with ?300,000 offered for Clarkson to Motherwell and ?70,000 offered to Falkirk for Barr. Later in the day, I received the good news that Motherwell had allowed me to discuss terms with Clarkson, in competition with many other clubs, notably Bolton Wanderers. I also managed to reach a deal of ?2,400,000 for Billy Sharp, and I discussed terms with him, after Scunthorpe granted me permission

Excellent press conference! Sharp is immense on FM so he'll be a cracking signing. Are Simon Garner and Kevin Gallacher what Blackburn call legends?:p

Excellent presentation

Sharp posing with a club sponsor

Sharp in action

SHARP : "I WILL SHINE UNDER MILLER"

I finally made my first summer capture on the 11th July, agreeing terms with Billy Sharp, who joined for ?2,400,000. I was delighted, and hoped he'd bring the goalscoring pedigree he had in the lower leagues into the Premiership. It was an abnormal feel announcing my first signing at a press conference, and after saying my part, it was Sharps term to speak:

"I couldn't be happier to have signed for Blackburn. I have worked many years to gain the recognition required to be a Premiership striker, and I'm just delighted that Rovers gave me the chance to do this. I aim to repay the faith shown in me by the boss by firing in the goals for the club".

A day of mixed emotions
darrenbarrcn6.th.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
readingif7.gif

My latest transfer dealings ended in failure, as Barr joined Reading. My bid for the player, which Falkirk stalled on, was obviously too late as before they could muster an answer to me. I wasn't too pleased, but moved on from the situation and focused on new targets. He rejected teams such as Bolton and Manchester City, showing he was in hot property.

However, the day ended on a much brighter note, as David Clarkson agreed a contract with me and signed for the club : finally I made my second summer signing, capturing him on a 4 year deal, paying ?300,000 for his signature. I was delighted to have signed such a bright prospect, and he was pleased to have joined!

"I am obviously delighted to be a Blackburn Rovers player, and hope to be a long term success and aid the team in going forward and progressing".

I signed him on potential, yet didn't think he was close to being ready for first team action and I informed him of this.
I got home tired, after a busy days work I slung my top over the back of the chair and led down, flicking on the television where the news of my latest coup was being paraded on the TV, with Blackburn fans praising my capture. I was delighted with the reaction of the fans, who had reportedly been praising the decision on radio talk shows as well.

One thing, something's wrong if a bottle of fragrance is the club sponsor:p. Nice signings, as I said before Sharp's quality. You need to nurture Clarkson to help him acheive his potential. Love the narration anyway!

My first game of the season was a daunting one, a trip to Anfield to play Liverpool. Not like it was already difficult enough, five key players were ruled out of the game, Ryan Nelson, Stephen Warnock, David Dunn, Morten Gamst Pedersen and Tugay. We had to play Michael Gray on the left of midfield, and the line up was like this:

1 Brad Freidel
3 Zurab Khizanishvilli
7 Brett Emerton
8 Robbie Savage
10 Benni McCarthy
11 David Bentley
13 Aaron Mokoena
14 Steven Reid
15 Michael Gray
25 Bruno Berner
33 Billy Sharp

Premier League
Liverpool vs Rovers
V
My pre match fears were realised, as Liverpool dominated the early stages, making a few chances through the lively Kuyt, before winning a dubious penalty as a Gerrard corner made contact with Bentleys hand. Despite strong protest, Luis Garcia stepped up to take the penalty, yet only succeeded in placing the ball tamely to Freidel?s right, who dived down and tipped the penalty clear. I felt this was a let off, as did the fans behind the goal who jumped up with joy, whilst the Liverpool fans were left with their heads in their hands. However, this didn?t bring a change in fortune for us, as Liverpool continued to press, until Alvaro Arbeloa headed home to grant the home side the advantage. I anticipated a completely collapse, yet we stayed firm and managed to make it til half team with just the same deficit.

At the break I told the boys they could nick a goal here, and this prompted a more even affair in the second half, until again Liverpool won a penalty after Gerrard was judged to have been felled inside the area. Garcia duly accepted the gift this time and slammed the ball home, giving the reds a seemingly overly dominant lead. From there, my lads really dug into Liverpool and a Savage corner resulted in Reid emphatically heading the ball past the Liverpool keeper to halve Liverpool?s lead. We pressed from there, but some great keeping prevented us from getting an equaliser, and the game finished 2-1 to Liverpool.

Garcia celebrates his penalty

I believed this to be an Ok result and something we could take heart from, as we were up against a quality side who aim to be in the top 3 come May, so to only narrowly lose should bring about much positives.

Rovers MOTM ? Steven Reid

Final Score

Liverpool 2- 1 Rovers

Premier League
Rovers V Man City
V
Man City at home was next, and we had the same players out.
The first half was boring, with Man City having the better of things, although there was a distinct lack of chances. In the second half, we came out all guns blazing, having numerous chances, until Khizanishvilli?s red card turned the game on its head. City scored twice from here against 10 men, thanks to goals from Vassell and Ireland. We lost 2-0, and the blame was placed firmly on the shoulders of Zurab Khizanishvilli, who?s red card blew the game for us.

Vassell celebrates with the 7,000 strong City faithful

Rovers MOTM ? Aaron Mokoena

Final Score

Rovers 0-2 Man City

Premier League
Bolton V Rovers
V

With Berner and Khizanishvilli added to the list of players out for us, we headed to Bolton next, a team who had started the season brightly, even winning the opening game 6-1. A game ahead at The Reebok was never easy, and given our casualties and recent form, I feared for the worst.

Those fears were realised. We got thumped 5-0, and although they didn?t deserve it, I was fuming and didn?t speak to the players. An absolute disgrace. They don?t deserve to wear the shirt, and a lot won?t??
The first half was very entertaining, with Nolan opening their account early, making it 1-0. This provoked a positive reaction from my team, and Nonda went close on a few occasions, putting in a lively performance in the first half. We continued to probe and deserved a breakthrough, but Anelka doubled the lead with a smart header at the back post. I felt losing 2-0 was unjust, but it got worse. The second half was much quieter, with Bolton having 4 shots and me 1. However, that told little of the story. They scored 3 of them, all of them cool finishes by Anelka (btw I was NOT cool after this, I completely lost it). The main difference? They put away their chances. Nothing to do with a gulf in class.

Anelka wheels away after making it 2-0

Final Score

Bolton 5-0 Rovers

Rovers MOTM ? N/a

Uefa Cup - First Round - Leg 1
Standard Liege V Rovers
V

I had over 2 weeks to contemplate this shocking defeat ahead of the UEFA Cup first round game with Standard. I fielded Jason Roberts and Tugay for this game, and Roberts swiftly repaid the faith with a low driven strike on 12minutes, scoring a debut goal! The rest of the first half was relentless pressure from us, as we continued to press with real authority, and the opposition barely got a look in. We started the second half how we ended the first, and McCarthy?s cool one on one finish was followed up by Robert?s powerful header, making the score look very flattering, and deservedly so. Even a quick response from Hendrix could do nothing to help them find solice, as he was failing to pull the strings in their midfield (excuse the pun there with Hendrix and strings). We continued to dominate until a last minute McCarthy header from a Pedersen corner capped off a wonderful night, my first win as Blackburn manager!

Roberts wheels away to celebrate with the 500 strong Rovers entourage

Final Score

Standard 1-4 Rovers

Rovers MOTM ? Benni McCarthy

To do it in Europe was especially special, and the flight home was very pleasant, with my mind at ease and my players finally firing on all cylinders. As we left the airport a few Rovers fans were waiting to congratulate us on our efforts, and showed nothing but support for me and my players, which was lovely, and I swiftly slipped the KFC burger under my jacket, as I didn?t want to show the fans I was really a bit greedy. What would the fans think if they saw the manager dipping himself into a burger straight after a European tie. I was astounded to see that Morten Gamst Pedersen was eating a massive pack of Minstrels, and I decided to take appropriate measures : take some! What, you really thought I?d be unhappy with him? :P

Look at it, hard to resist huh?

Can I have one?

Excellent update mate reli likeing this story will follow it starts not to good in the premiership but you were missing some key players

LOL! About the minstrels. Excellent start of the story, not so good a start to the season but hopefully the UEFA Cup win can kick start your faltering Premiership campaign. Fantastic win against Standard Liege.

On the back of such a fabulous win, I could see the players had a spring in their step when we returned to training, and the increased morale made my job as manager a lot easier. Its always a pleasure to be a manager when you?re players are happy and you?re on the back of a memorable win, and I instructed the players to carry on the momentum in the game at Vicarage Road on Sunday.
Premier League

Watford V Rovers
V
The game was a bit of a mismatch, with us languishing in the drop places and Watford in the European chase. The fact is, most people would have predicted the shoes to be on the other foot, and Watford to be the strugglers.
The game began with the home side pressing for the lead, which is to be expected of the team playing at home, roared on by their fans still in euphoria after the joy of promotion. Alexander Rondon came close on a couple of occasions, as Watford threatened to break down my defence and take the lead. We managed to hold out until the lead, even looking increasingly dangerous on the counter attack. At the interval I told the boys to keep going at it, maybe tighten up and hit them on a break and nick a goal, and 17 minutes later, they did. Sharp nicked the ball across and McCarthy stole a few yards on the defender to flick the ball past the keeper, having me dreaming of a first Premiership win as Rovers boss. We continued in the same fashion, and Sharp and McCarthy both were unlucky not to seal the win for us.

McCarthy celebrates what appeared to be the winner

The last few minutes were very frantic, and I was almost in heaven as Sharp got ahead of his marker, but his clever chip was well saved, and the ball was instantly cleared, and a breakaway led Rondin to play Danny in, who crossed to allow Hendersento head home in a seemingly offside position, and our players strongly protested, whilst a dejected Sharp was still grounded at the other end, reminiscing on his miss, which in truth was desperately unlucky yet very costly. However, as a striker, he beat himself up over it and I had to be the one to console him after the game, and the lads were there for him, even though he had done little wrong and it was just a case of bad luck.

Henderson lavishes in the glory of his last gasp equalizer

The media were quit to leap onto this setback, using words such as ?bottled? and lack the ?quality? to put away a team. ?Going down? was constantly used, and this forced me to really lose my calm.

?Ok, I am sick of people labelling us because we?ve had a difficult start. Maybe things haven?t gone to plan but some people are forgetting us winning 4-1 in Europe. Ok, maybe the finishing touches aren?t there right now but I?m righting those wrongs and I guarantee you?ll see an improvement against West Ham. Plus, to say we played bad today is slanderous, and to get a point away at a team who?ve started so impressively is encouraging, and we were literally seconds away from winning that game. I can bet you that if Henderson had been flagged offside you?d be singing our praises now or at least you wouldn?t be saying my team face relegation. However, I?m not going to dwell on such a decision as it was tough and if he was offside, it was very close! I?m pleased with the effort today, especially on the back of such a great European night in midweek.?

Rovers MOTM ? Aaron Mokoena / Andy Todd

Final Score

Watford 1COLOR="Blue"]1 Rovers[/COLOR]

Premier League

Rovers v West Ham
V

After my rant the pressure was really on at home to West Ham, as a defeat and a bad performance would certainly leave egg on my face.

THE RETURN OF LUCAS NEILL

Lucas in his Rovers days

Much was made of Lucas Neills long awaited return to Ewood after leaving for West Ham for a new challenge ? nothing to do with the money at all?. He was booed profusely as he entered the pitch, and angry cries of ?Judas? and many obscenities made it clear Lucash (yep?meant the ?cash bit?) was not welcome around here. As he walked past me, I stared at him, remembering the days he played with passion in a Rovers shirt, yet threw it all away to play for West Ham, therefore earning his payday.

The crowd were in good voice for this one, obviously spurred on by their hatred of Lucas Neill, therefore providing a very noisy atmosphere within Ewood Park. However, The Hammers started brighter, as the dangerous Carlos Tevez threatened a goal when he found himself wide open in the box, but his headed narrowly went over the bar. As West Ham continued to press, I got more anxious, and was fuming when a Reo-Coker corner was headed into his own goal by Stephen Warnock, in unlucky circumstances, leaving the West Ham fans delirious. I also caught a glimpse of Lucas Neill looking with a cocky smirk towards the Blackburn end, firing up the fans who roared the team on. Hopefully my team were to be inspired?

From there, the team really went at West Ham, and we looked deadly on the break, none more so when a resurgent Morten Gamst Pedersen played in Roberts, who, when one on one, unselfishly squared the ball to McCarthy, who was aptly placed to convert the ball into an empty net, sending the fans wild. West Ham looked shocked. I smelled an opportunity to really capitalize on this, and barked orders to the team to keep going. When West Ham had the ball deep in my half, we looked in a bit of trouble and I feared the ?most vulnerable straight after scoring rule? would come to light, however the quick Brett Emerton stole ahead of Boa Morte to play the ball upfield, and a poor Juan back headed let McCarthy in, who coolly cut inside and smashed the ball high over the keeper from around 10 yards out. Two goals in two minutes, and the fans were loving it. However, I am sure they would rather be beating a different team in Claret and Blue right now?

Our play from there was frantic, with both sides a bit edgy yet really looking threatening, due to the two teams inability to string passes together. It was fast paced, and obviously the fans were having a massive impact. This factor led to Konchesky giving the ball straight to Emerton, who played it to Dunn, who launched from 20 yards, lifting the ball over Green to the keepers left, nestling in the top corner, making the score 3-1. He was delighted, scoring his first Rovers goal since his return, and the relief was evident on his face.

Dunn celebrates his first goal since returning to Rovers

From there we attacked with real gusto, and when Tugay swung in a free kick from the left hand side, we knew there would be trouble. McCarthy span on his man and had his shot saved, but Bentley was on hand to smash the ball into the corner, giving us an unassailable 4-1 lead. Could this finally be the time? Lucas Neill looked dejected, and the cries of ?Lucas, whats the score?? did nothing to cheer him up. We went into the break absolutely emphatically ahead and it was shown by the faces of my players.

After the interval things slowed down a bit, until the hour mark. Another misplaced Konchesky pass was met by McCarthy, who hit it first time to make it 5-1, scoring from the edge of the box, directly in the corner with precision and power. He had his hat trick, his first in a Rovers shirt. It was getting better and better, and when Bentley whipped in a deadly cross into the box, the substitute Sharp was on hand to stroke the ball home, as his determination allowed him to easily reach the ball before the defender, scoring his first goal in the hallowed blue and white halves. 6-1 and it didn?t stop! When Tugay lifted the ball to the back post, I knew luck was on our side, and Bentley was on hand to slip the ball in at the near post, making it 7-1, echoing the 2001-2002 season when Rovers hammered the Hammers 7-1 at home. I was very pleased to say the least, and I didn?t think it could get any better?

That was until Emerton picked up the ball, and a wonderful diagonal pass found Pedersen free outside the area, and he moved in to slam the ball across goal to make it 8-1. It was capped off by Derbyshire coolly finishing a one on one after being set free by Tugay. His first Blackburn goal, and the fans were flabbergasted, and Lucas Neill endured the worst humiliation imaginable. It was the greatest day of my life so far, and I couldn?t contain myself.

Derbyshire delight - 9-1!

Get him Dunny!

Its not MY fault...well at least I've got my 50 grand...

Sam Miller:
?We deserved to win, and THAT isn?t relegation form. Didn?t bottle it did we??

That comment backfired when McCarthy walked into the dressing room clutching a bottle of champagne as reward for winning man of the match.

Rovers MOTM ? Benni McCarthy

Final Score

Rovers 9-1 West Ham

WOW 9-1 did u put them all on drugs or something..no wel done mate must be a good manager.

Last edited:
What a win! And you tell the press! Amazing result to kick start your season!:D Very funny pun about bottling it!

Excellent presentation.

Great story !!. Can you post a screen of the team west ham played ? on the result page click west ham and it should show the tactic and team, they must have done something wrong lol. KUTGW.

Users who are viewing this thread