A bigger T20 World Cup

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Looking at the way the game panned out yesterday and the upsets that we saw in the 2007 T20 WC (ZIM beating AUS and BAN beating WIN) I was thinking whether we could make this a 16-nation event.
We should keep the 50-over World Cup to the major nations and get more countries into the T20 WC.

If the Dutch can do this so can the Canadians,Afghanistan,Kenya or Oman.
Those were the names which first came to mind. Canada have always played an aggressive brand of cricket even in the 50-over format and Afghanistan looked a team in the 2011 WC Qualifiers.

The World T20 is the tournament which the ICC can think of making really global with upsets not being that uncommon in this format.

karnog

International Cricketer
True but i'd prefer if they reduce the super 8s then. It would be rather annoying to see too many useless games. They should maybe follow the football world cup mode. Group stage and then knock-out round (however only when the amount reaches 32. Keep ODI and Test to itself.

aditya123

National Board President
True but i'd prefer if they reduce the super 8s then. It would be rather annoying to see too many useless games. They should maybe follow the football world cup mode. Group stage and then knock-out round (however only when the amount reaches 32. Keep ODI and Test to itself.

I`d prefer the same format with the league stages being played out in 4 groups of 4 sides. 2 go through from each. Each team only plays 3 games in the Super 8s anyway.

aditya123 added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

The only other format that I can think of is like the European Championships in Football.4 groups of 4 sides with 2 going through from each and them the 8 teams playing the quarter-finals , then the semis and the finals.That would make the chances of an associate making the semis/finals pretty high.

aditya123 added 5 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Andrew Nixon would surely endorse this opinion of mine.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Was Oman really one of the first names to come to mind?

I agree, though. There are 10 full members of the ICC and 6 associates with ODI status; the only impedance is that Zimbabwe may be refused visas again, in which case it wouldn't be a first if a lower ranked team was invited. Associates which play in the Asia Cup are granted temporary ODI status for their matches in the tournament.

While the World Cup is too long and gives too much of a chance to the weaker sides, the World T20 is quite a lot shorter and more competitive; an ideal stage for lesser teams to compete against stronger ones.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Wouldn't the group stages have to be made "bigger" like the 2003 WC pools - 2 pools of 7 teams.

That way, teams that are actually the best will make it into the super 8 stages of the tournament. (I guess it would / should be super 6 at this point)

That way, we won't be seeing teams such as the Netherlands make it into the next stage based on the result of just 1 game (if Pakistan was to beat England tomorrow, then the Netherlands really only made 1 upset)

aditya123

National Board President
Wouldn't the group stages have to be made "bigger" like the 2003 WC pools - 2 pools of 7 teams.

That way, teams that are actually the best will make it into the super 8 stages of the tournament. (I guess it would / should be super 6 at this point)

That way, we won't be seeing teams such as the Netherlands make it into the next stage based on the result of just 1 game (if Pakistan was to beat England tomorrow, then the Netherlands really only made 1 upset)

The 2011 WC will follow more or less the same format as the 2003 WC with the Super Sixes being replaced by the quarterfinals. (50-Over format)

And Zmario, noone, absolutely noone sympathized for the Indian or Pakistani sides when they were knocked out of the 2007 WC in the Carribean just because Ireland and Bangladesh pulled off an upset in the group stages.
England`s case in this World T20 is no different to India or Pakistan`s case in 2007.

I do agree that it is flawed but mainly in case of the 50-over format. I think the World T20 format is just right. Even if the Dutch or Irish go through on the basis of a single upset, they won`t be playing too many games in the further sages (3 or 4 at max) and Iam quite confident of them being competitive in the shorter version of the game.

However if these sides get through to the Super 8s in a 50-over World Cup, then it entirely dilutes the interest in the event because I do not think these sides can constantly challenge top sides in a long Super 8 stage like in the 2007 WC in the Carribean.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
And I'm the one rooting for a smaller World Cup.

A big one will help in globalizing the game,no doubt. But,try and imagine as to what will happen when teams like Oman or Afghanistan win.They would obviously pressurize the ICC to induct them into the ODI rankings.

Look what happened to Bangladesh. They defeated Pak in 1999 WC and got Test staus. And look at their situation now- Its the same,they havent really improved much.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
^^ if you think Bangladesh hasnt improved at all since 1999, then you really dont have any cricketing knowledge. and about the test status, we didnt get it b/c of defeting Pak, and 2ndly we whopped your arses on the 1st ever test we played with out any experience, not even in doministic levels.

A big one will help in globalizing the game,no doubt. But,try and imagine as to what will happen when teams like Oman or Afghanistan win.They would obviously pressurize the ICC to induct them into the ODI rankings.

and as for that, whats your problem? even if Afghanistan or any other team wins, ask ICC to induct them into ODI rankings, i dont see any problem with that. what you wanna do?? only India to play cricket??? well the way BCCI sheting around the crickting world, pretty soon you will be playing yourself...

aditya123

National Board President
And I'm the one rooting for a smaller World Cup.

Look what happened to Bangladesh. They defeated Pak in 1999 WC and got Test staus. And look at their situation now- Its the same,they havent really improved much.

None of us advocated for an increase the number of sides in the 50-over WC.
In fact if you read my first post, you`ll find that I was suggesting bringing down the number of teams in the 50-over format and increasing the number of sides in the World T20 .

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Bangladesh's wins are a fluke.
They havent been able to win consistently.They have won series against weaker teams,but thats about it.

They may have improved,but only slightly. I reckon the ICC has been patient for a long time.Strip them of the Test status,maybe give it to some other team.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
LMAO fluke my butt.

you really are 1 of those ignorent self centered people.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Maybe ,I am.
But I comment as I see them.

Just would like to quote the example of SRL,they improved vastly after being given Test Status.

Getting back to he topic,I still feel NO. Maybe,the ICC could have an alternate tournament for the lower rung teams,with the Top 2 playing with the Test nations.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I would say get teams which want to play and whose fans want to see T20 games.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Just would like to quote the example of SRL,they improved vastly after being given Test Status.

Getting back to he topic,I still feel NO. Maybe,the ICC could have an alternate tournament for the lower rung teams,with the Top 2 playing with the Test nations.

remember your past? it took you guys nearly 30-40 years to play competitive test cricket .. where we started with a VERY competitive match, almost won severel test against the big guns. other then few, we played quite a lot of good test matches.

and you dont want any other nations to play, then may be you should just follow IPL, its NOT IPL, its WORLD CUP. learn the meaning of it...and also you dont want other nations to take part of it b/c (other then you being self centered indian dude) is because your just afraid you might get knocked over by the underdogs.

yes REAL Champs you are, cheers to you

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I'm open to other nations being a part,but let them prove it by qualifying. Look what happens in the FIFA World Cup.
You have countries like Holland not making it to the Finals.
Let the Top 8 remain where they are,and the others ought to qualify.

Users who are viewing this thread