A tribute to Ronaldo, the real Ronaldo

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
First of all sorry for spamming this board with my threads :p. This is just a tribute to Ronaldo, who formally retired today.

ronaldo_162501s.jpg

The image, almost iconic, encapsulates the essence of Ronaldo. Pace, power, vision and resilience.

It?s difficult to describe in words just how good Ronaldo was, but I?ll give it a go. The perfect blend of pace, power, technique and predator-like instinct; Ronaldo reigned above all other strikers of his era. Scoring goals came as naturally as breathing to him.

The other Brazilian predator, Romaria, advised Ronaldo to move to Europe at the tender age of 17, after he travelled to the 1994 World Cup but did not play. In his first season, he amassed an incredible 30 goals in the Eredivise, taking the league by storm. However at just 18, he suffered a knee injury that would haunt him throughout his career. For most players this would be devastating, not only physically but also mentally. His whole career was nearly threatened.

He continued though, soldiered on, and got better and better. His goalscoring prowess attracted the likes of Barcelona and he got his big money switch to the Catalan club. Surely a settling period was needed? Not for Ronaldo. He scored a ridiculous 47 goals in 49 games in his first season. He was merely 20 when he won the FIFA World Player of the Year accolade.

After long-winded contract negotiations, Ronaldo became fed up, and did the honourable thing of buying out his contract. He moved on to Italy, finding a home at Inter. Ronaldo was tearing up teams all over Europe. He was scoring, he was assisting, he could do everything. He was complete. Another year, another award. Surely nothing could stop him?

It was time for the 98 World Cup. Romario had to miss out due to injury, and Ronaldo was the headline act. He led from the front, and took his country to the World Cup final. His health took a turn for the worse, a recurring theme in his career, and suffered a fit before the game. He was supposedly forced to continue and was clearly not in the same frame of mind. France deservedly beat Brazil in the final and Zidane made his name, but it should?ve been Ronaldo.

A year later, and his knee forced him off the field once again. The rest of his time at Inter was injury plagued. 7 minutes into his return, he was taken off again. He had to have surgery again. Months before the 2002 World Cup, it was unlikely that he?d be fit to make the plane. Ronaldo was resilient though. He loved the game, and had to play. He recovered, came back, and the stage was set for him. 4 years before his body got the better of him, but this wasn?t going to happen this time. In a side filled with stars such as Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and more, Ronaldo over-shadowed them all. Another game, another goal, and he went on to lift the most prestigious trophy in football.

I could go on describing Ronaldo?s career but you could get this information anywhere. The point of this piece is to acknowledge the genius that was Ronaldo. His fitness deteriorated but unlike Ronaldinho, who could only blame his party lifestyle, Ronaldo suffered from hypothyroidism. To think that despite just a failing body, Ronaldo could go on so long is testament to the great man. He loved the game more than anything else, and that was his fuel, that?s what kept him going.

When he got the ball, you knew what was going to happen, yet no one could stop him ? he was the first unplayable player I?ve ever seen, and this was after 3 horrendous knee injuries in 2002. At his peak the most unstoppable player in the world and the greatest out-and-out striker of all time. Off the field he was a gentleman. Despite his supposed scandals, he treated people with respect and that was reciprocated.

Massimo Moratti said ?Ronaldo was the most powerful centre forward in history. It was an honour to have him at Inter at the pinnacle of his career.?

?Can anybody, anywhere, show me a better player?? said Sir Bobby Robson.

?When the ball is at Ronaldo?s feet it?s like the team has already scored half a goal.? Jairzinho exclaimed.

In his late thirties, Ronaldo was noticeably unfit. On the outside he looked like just another guy if you saw him walking down the street. Yet if you gave him the ball, he would still run rings around 11 twenty year old wonderkids. He didn?t let fame blind him, he didn?t go off the path, he played football to play football, a true legend. You could look at all the stats you like, which for the record are incredible, but Ronaldo's ability is not something you could quantify. It was just there and you had to see it to appreciate him. He was Ronaldo, the real Ronaldo, and always will be the real Ronaldo.

Last edited by a moderator:

harrisb

International Coach
Wonder what he'll do with all the spare time he now has on his hands, i'd put money on him spending more time in a burger shop.

Nice article though :clap

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am not a big soccer follower but Ronaldo is my all-time favorite player. I love his hair style in 2002 WC.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
He was an amazing player no doubt about it, but before denigrating C. Ronaldo, let's wait and see what he achieves in his career. Remember that Ronaldo also played with some very good Brazil teams.

----------

Wonder what he'll do with all the spare time he now has on his hands, i'd put money on him spending more time in a burger shop.

Nice article though :clap

He's certainly porked out, hasn't he? He'll probably look like 'Prince' Naseem Hamed in a few years. :lol

Then:

naseem080906_228x323.jpg

Now: :eek:

_42046940_pa416naseem.jpg

----------

Legend. No doubt about it. The fact that he played for Real, made us like him even more!!

Didn't he once play for (whisper it) Barcelona? :lol

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
C Ronaldo is an absolutely brilliant player in his own right. Will definitely go down as one of the best of all time as well. The thing is though, who would you prefer - an overhyped, gucci modelling, annoying, whiny bratty so and so or a down to earth, humourous, slightly unfit but basically your average guy who played the game he loved and entertained the world while doing so? That's why I'd always pick the original over Cristiano.

Auwais

International Coach
Big Ronaldo will always be the real Ronaldo to me, despite my Man Utd affiliation.

Such an unreal freak of nature.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
C Ronaldo is an absolutely brilliant player in his own right. Will definitely go down as one of the best of all time as well. The thing is though, who would you prefer - an overhyped, gucci modelling, annoying, whiny bratty so and so or a down to earth, humourous, slightly unfit but basically your average guy who played the game he loved and entertained the world while doing so? That's why I'd always pick the original over Cristiano.

Fair enough - C Ronaldo can act like a proper child sometimes - I don't remember seeing Brazilian Ronaldo do so.

Users who are viewing this thread