Advise needed for new Computer

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Hi, I'm planning to buy a new computer soon with the following minimum system requirements:

Matrix System Requirements said:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Dual Core or better
  • 2 GB or better of DDR RAM for Windows XP
  • 2-4 GB of DDR RAM for Windows Vista
  • 256 MB or better nVidia GeForce video card (Quadro cards NOT recommended)
  • Recommend 512 MB or better nVidia GeForce video card with Vista
  • 100 GB hard drive or larger
  • 19 inch monitor (desktop) or larger
  • 15-17 inch monitor (laptop) or larger
  • Minimum screen resolution wide aspect is WXGA+ (1440x900) recommend WSXGA+ (1680x1050) or higher
  • Minimum screen resolution 4:3 aspect is SXGA (1280x1024) or better
  • DVD-ROM or DVD+/-RW drive required (install is DVD format)
  • Windows XP Home, Professional, or Media Center
  • Windows Vista 32-Bit Version - Home Basic or Starter edition NOT supported
  • Windows Vista 64-bit version Home Premium, Business or Ultimate Only
  • Windows XP 64-bit NOT supported

This will be used to run a 3D CAD software, Matrix. GEMVISION ? Matrix 3D Design Software
Which can be very intensive on system resources, especially the graphics and the processor.

I need recommendations for the system, most importantly the Graphics card, the Monitor size and resolution, and the Choice of operating system, whether 32 bit or 64 bit.
I'm more inclined towards XP, because they are recommending XP over Vista, so in that case I'm left with only 32 bit. This leads to the question of RAM - whether to go in for 2GB in dual channel or 3GB, sacrificing the dual channel.

It would be nice if I can get input regarding the system, and what options should I choose.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If your going for whole systems (Like desktop/monitor, etc.) I suggest purchasing from Dell since you can't beat their prices, they also have great promotions. I strongly suggest puchasing the Dell Studio XPS for around $1700. It's the cheapest Core i7 desktop, 4GB of RAM, ATi Radeon 4850, 2.66Ghz, 640GB hard-drive (7200 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache), 2YR hardware maintenance from Dell and pre-loaded with Genuine Windows Vista 64 bit. But the only downside is that theirs no added monitor. You'll be able to purchase a Benq 21" for around $200. You could also get some pretty cheap desktop PC's from Dell's subdivision Alienware but I suggest you stay away from Alienware since their parts are known to wear off pretty easily.

If your going to buy seperate parts (Which I advise you do so, unless your going to purchase a Dell computer), many varying factors will change. Such as:

• Going for Vista ? If your a casual gamer and do moderate/heavy task from time to time, go for 2GB. Though if you do any graphic design/video editing/extensive gaming I suggest getting 4GB w/ Vista. The reason why I would heavily recommend lotsa' RAM for Vista is because it is really a system hog.
  • Going with XP ? I suggest going for 4GB just for the fun of it. But generally get 2GB for light/moderate tasks.
  • Oh and with your hard-drive, 100GB is nothing. I suggest maybe around 640GB WD unless you are going to use a previous hard-drive. The prices for the Western Digital 640GB platters are just insanely cheap, I myself have two of these in my setup.
  • Only ever get a laptop if you decide to bring it out and actually use the laptops 'portability'. If not and it just stays in one location then get a desktop PC for sure.
  • As for graphic cards, don't matter whatcha' getting. You can't beat the all-round performance/price of an ATi 4850/4870 (I think it's one of them). Otherwise get something from the nVidia GTX series.

Give me your budget and I'll hook you up with parts unless you want whole systems purchased at once.

NOTE: The prices I'm giving you are AUSTRALIAN dollars.

Last edited:

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Cheers for the reply. I'm looking at getting the computer assembled, rather than purchasing a branded product.

Going for Vista ? If your a casual gamer and do moderate/heavy task from time to time, go for 2GB. Though if you do any graphic design/video editing/extensive gaming I suggest getting 4GB w/ Vista. The reason why I would heavily recommend lotsa' RAM for Vista is because it is really a system hog.
Going with XP ? I suggest going for 4GB just for the fun of it. But generally get 2GB for light/moderate tasks.

Yeah, that's the main question.. I'm planning to go with XP, 32 bit. Keeping that OS, I cannot get RAM of more than 3 Gb.
Now, I'll be faced with 3 options.
1. Putting only 2 gb RAM, which is the bare minimum for the software to run properly, installing it in Dual channel mode, thus giving me better performance, speed wise.
2. I can opt for 3 Gb, giving the software more breathing space, but compromising a bit on the speed.
3. Another thing which crosses my mind is, installing 2 x 2gb sticks in Dual channel, and allowing the 1 gb to go waste.

Only ever get a laptop if you decide to bring it out and actually use the laptops 'portability'. If not and it just stays in one location then get a desktop PC for sure.

Looking for a Desktop.

• Oh and with your hard-drive, 100GB is nothing. I suggest maybe around 640GB WD unless you are going to use a previous hard-drive. The prices for the Western Digital 640GB platters are just insanely cheap, I myself have two of these in my setup.

Yeah, 100 GB is nothing, that was just the requirement stated in the software. I'll probably be getting 640 or 500.

• As for graphic cards, don't matter whatcha' getting. You can't beat the all-round performance/price of an ATi 4850/4870 (I think it's one of them). Otherwise get something from the nVidia GTX series.

Apparently, it does not recommend ATI cards. It prefers nVidia Geforce, and that's what I'm looking at. I wouldn't like to spend big on the gfx card, it should be good enough to handle simple 3D renders. 512 MB is the minimum I'm looking at.

Give me your budget and I'll hook you up with parts unless you want whole systems purchased at once.

I havn't really calculated the cost of the machine properly, but I'm looking at somewhere around Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 60,000 ( A$ 1400 - A$1700)

This does not include the the cost of the OS or any software, since I don't need to buy one, because I have the license. (For XP 32 bit and Vista 32 bit.)

I've lost touch a bit with the processors as well.. What's the successor to Q6600? I already have one machine with Q6600, and I'm looking to load this with something better, yet not too expensive.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I'd list a detailed rig in 1-2 days after some new market research work, but a few points...

1. There is no harm in going for Vista 64-bit. Software vendors have this usual habit of putting the blame of their sloppy coding onto the OS, as its getting caught on with the market.

I'd think that a software of this standard would work, nearly EVERYTHING that works on XP now works on Vista, especially after SP2.

Moreover, Windows 7 is out very soon [October 22] so a 64-bit version of Windows 7 would do you real good [Its very solid, something I'm using atm as well].

2. Video Card Buffer, although necessary, isn't necessarily an indicator of good performance. A 512 MB card of two different chipsets can be as different as a cat and a dog. The best in class chips atm are the AMD 4870 / 4890 ones [most bang for the buck] but the software might be CUDA optimized which is why it prefers nVidia stuff [you need to check this out].

3. IMO, go for 64-bit, and 2x2GB of RAM. If I can manage to squeeze a Core i7 in your budget [quite difficult :p] then I'd reccommend 6 Gigs of Triple Channel DDR3. We'll see that though.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Yeah, I'll be waiting for the Rig you come up with.

You already know I prefer Vista to XP, but somehow, the programs I'm using currently have underperformed Massively in Vista.
I haven't used 64 bit ever, and don't know about the compatibility and stuff. Don't we have dedicated 64 bit softwares? I've heard the ones made for 32 bit systems may not work properly. If that is the case, I'd rather go in for 32 bit.

Regarding the video card, I've no clue. I looked at their website, but there's nothing mentioned there. So, let's focus on nVidia, and anything greater than 512 mb, that gives satisfactory performance will do. (You are the king.. Won't argue at all :p )

What's Core i7 ? !!!!

Abhas added 2 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Oh, Is that the Nehalem thing?
That'll be too expensive.. will need DDR3 RAM, the newer motherboards, and the processor itself will be expensive.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Core i7 only makes sense if the software doesn't support GPU acceleration and works solely on the CPU as the Core i7[nehalem yes] is miles ahead of current CPU's on the market, but just the CPU, mobo and RAM combo [6 gigs] costs around 34k. Spending that kind of money would only make sense if there is no GPU acceleration and we can skimp on the GPU.

You might want to check with their support, if any, and they'll probably give out the best answer.

32-bit softwares do work in 64-bit systems - its the 16 bit legacy software that doesn't work. You can ask their support for compatibility with 64-bit as well.

The only thing 64-bit gets different are the drivers but both AMD and nVidia, and leading people like Realtek, have 64-bit drivers [Vista has most onboard HD audio drivers anyways].

khan31

International Coach
Build your own. I saved ?400-?500 (35K Rps) by purchasing parts seperately and building my own PC. You choose exactly what you want, can upgrade easily later on, save money, avoid spending money on an OS, avoid crappy bundled software and also learn a few skills along the way.

I would go with Vista 64. I have had no problems with any software or games so far and all 32bit software does work with Vista 64. Although, you will be wanting Windows 7 soon enough so its up to you. I reckon a decent motherboard (asus?), good quad core CPU (intel? Qx9xxx), high-end Gfx card (Nvidia Gtx 2xx?), 4GB RAM (DDR2), 500GB hard drive etc should be enough to run all the latest games and software. My rig cost me around 50K INR (?650) for all parts and assembly. Not bad considering I saw very similar machines for over 80K INR both in-store and online.

Last edited:

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If your still deciding on which Vista OS your getting, read up on this to decide whether your gonna', get 32 or 64. As you can see in that article, it suggest 4GB perfectly for 64bit.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I might install 4 GB RAM, and dual boot the system with 32 bit and 64 bit Oses. (32 bit Windows XP, and 64 bit Vista)

I need to make sure all drivers are compatible, if the 64 Bit runs fine, I'll probably stick to that.
What say?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Could be, but if you stick with 32-bit it'd be a waste. Spending big on a card means you'll be getting 1 gig graphics card also, so there goes another gig of addressible memory down the drain.

What drivers are you worried about? Have any old devices? Because all new hardware works flawless.

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Hey Abhas I'd recommend getting a Quad core over Dual core Q8400(2.66GHz) is the current budget model and is around 10k. and also try Win 7 over vista hope it would be better. I also recommend 64-bit you can also install around 6GB DDR2 under 10k I suppose. and also get a nvidia card over ati. Zotac is selling GTS250 1GB @ 10000 may vary a bit

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Right, finally got around to it. Since there is still no input on whether it uses GPU's or not, I'd think it does considering it is so expensive and nowadays even Adobe can do that.

Processor - Intel Core i7 - 15k
Motherboard - x58 based - 15k
Graphics Card - Palit GTX 260 894MB SP216 - 10k
ViewSonic 22" - Around 9k
RAM - 6GB DDR3 - Aropund 8k

I think rest should be pretty easy, let me knwo if this doiesn't fit in the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread