Afl 2008

If St.Kilda dont win the flag this year then they wont for another 20 years.

They have such a good balanced team this year. Some very decent trades, such as King, Gardiner and especially Schnider.

But Adelaide seem insanely fit!

If St.Kilda dont win the flag this year then they wont for another 20 years.

They have such a good balanced team this year. Some very decent trades, such as King, Gardiner and especially Schnider.

But Adelaide seem insanely fit!

Agreed, and plus it's Harvs last season. He deserves a premiership Medallion

The Saints are wasting their strengths playing the way they have been under Lyon. I mean with the forwards they have, it shouldn't be much of an issue to play open and attacking; there should almost always be a strong option manned on a weaker opponent. In the event that the opposition collect out of defence and counter attack, they should be well prepared for that too, with an excess of key defenders, not to mention dynamic smaller players. Combined with new found strength in the ruck, they should be backing themselves a lot more than they do.

Edna Richards, wife of Collingwood legend Lou Richards has recently passed away, she was laid to rest yesterday in a private funeral.

Condolences to the family of Edna, as well Lou Richards, and the rest of the friends for their sad loss.

I wish the afl would get of there high horse an admit its there stupid priority picks an draft rules that make tanking something acceptable to do for bottom teams.

They cant think of any better way so instead of sitting down an working a new system out they turn a blind eye an try an say it doesnt exist.

Everyone knows it does they justy dont have the guts to admit it.

Make the draft a lottery
Why should best young talent in country be forced to go to worst clubs
First 16 picks random order.
Maybe give bottom 3 or 4 sides an extra pick in round 2 an 3.to help them out

I wish the afl would get of there high horse an admit its there stupid priority picks an draft rules that make tanking something acceptable to do for bottom teams.

They cant think of any better way so instead of sitting down an working a new system out they turn a blind eye an try an say it doesnt exist.

Everyone knows it does they justy dont have the guts to admit it.

Make the draft a lottery
Why should best young talent in country be forced to go to worst clubs
First 16 picks random order.
Maybe give bottom 3 or 4 sides an extra pick in round 2 an 3.to help them out

Sorry mate, but that's one of the most insane things I've heard on the internet. First 16 picks completely random? You could have a case of Geelong getting the first pick of the draft last year and picking up Matthew Kreuzer. That would work wonders for the balance of the league eh?

Out of the 4 top professional sports in the United States. Only one of them uses the lottery system, and guess what? Teams still tank in the NBA every season.

If you don't want teams to tank at all, then take away the whole draft, which will also be great for the balance of the league.

#1 draft picks are overrated.

Look at geelong they did not make it to be the dominant side of 2007 by getting #1 draft picks.
Look at Eagles they did not win premiership in 2006 by getting #1 draft picks.
Same for sydney in 2005 etc etc.

Having the number 1 pick is not going to make you a great side and catapult you up the ladder.

How many years in a row now has carltank got the top draft picks?
An there still going to struggle again this year.

You make it to the top by good gameplan/coaching the ability to get the best out of every single player every game.

The top 16 or so young players in the country will normally turn out to be great players so its not that important for bottom team to get pick 1.
Giving them the chance to get more 2nd or 3rd round picks helps give them depth which is what they really need.
A star player here an there does not make a great team.
A great team has depth of talent.

#1 draft picks are overrated.

Look at geelong they did not make it to be the dominant side of 2007 by getting #1 draft picks.
Look at Eagles they did not win premiership in 2006 by getting #1 draft picks.
Same for sydney in 2005 etc etc.

Having the number 1 pick is not going to make you a great side and catapult you up the ladder.

How many years in a row now has carltank got the top draft picks?
An there still going to struggle again this year.

You make it to the top by good gameplan/coaching the ability to get the best out of every single player every game.

The top 16 or so young players in the country will normally turn out to be great players so its not that important for bottom team to get pick 1.
Giving them the chance to get more 2nd or 3rd round picks helps give them depth which is what they really need.
A star player here an there does not make a great team.
A great team has depth of talent.

Number 1 picks aren't overrated. It just depends on how the team with it desides to use it. And you will find that in pretty much all drafts, that the greater talent will be in the top 5 without a dout, not between pick 10-16. You can't put in a top 16 pick completely random lottery system. You could kill the balance of the league for a very long time.

Carltank? Cute, for all you know they could win a premiership in 3 years or so and go on a big run. Same with the Hawks, and also all those other tankers out there. But not including your team though, they've never tanked a game ever of course.

Gameplan/coaching? If we're talking about amateur talent here (which I thought we were). It's got more to do with the clubs scouting network and a little bit of luck. But yes, that comes afterwards.

The top 16 young players in the country will normally turn out to be great players? You will be lucky to see half of them play more than 50 games most the time.

And you do realise that a top 16 pick completely random lottery system won't actually stop teams from tanking? Teams that are in the bottom 3 or so which have no shot at the finals will still drop older players they won't need in the future, still play young rookies late in the season to give them a taste and will still let players who have little injuries/needed surgery stop playing the season early, yes?

thats not tanking.
teams that arent in with a chance of making finals should be looking to the futere.
Playing youngsters etc etc so that the coach can see who they should cut and who they should keep,fix injured players ready for next season all thats perfectly fine.

Tanking is playiong players completely out of position against good players, purposely not picking up other teams gun midfielders.
Letting fevola play in a game until he kicks a few goals an gives carlton a chance to win game, then drags him to the bench with game on the line, other team go bang bang to get ahead,fevola then returns to field with no signs of injury.
Later coach says he pulled groin or something earlier in match, true he did but had come back on an seemed fine an played over 1quarter after it happened
coach says He didnt look right so he came off to get it checked dr gave ok so he was fine to return a few mins later.

Tanking is purposely losing making changes during games an decisions to help lose.

Until the AFL stops rewarding teams for winning less than 5 games an get rid of priority picks we are never going to hear the end of the tanking issue.

Only 2 #1 draft picks have ever won a brownlow medal jeff white,des headland.
Only about 4 #1 draft picks have gone on an played in a grand final es headland,drew banfield,jeff white and a port adelaide ruckman cant remember name.

Giving the bottom teams the best young players in draft does not help them climb the ladder all it does is punish the best young players an make them go to worst team in the competition.
A lottery will have no effect in making teams stronger or weaker.
If geelong hit the jackpot an drew #1 pick they wouldnt just pick best young player they would pick best of players for certain position.
Since it takes 2-3 years for a youngster to show his class by then geelong may no longer be dominant an this pick will help them out.

Seriosly the draft is not what evens the teams up an helps them go from crap to great.
The salary cap is the main contributor.
Best teams cant afford to keep all there quality players so some are traded to lesser teams.
In 2-3 years time if all carltons top picks turn out to be awesome players there is no way they can afford to keep them all so carlton wont become a super power from all the tanking.
The salary cap is the key to keeping the eveness.
Not the draft an priority picks

Last edited:
I wish people would stfu down here about the freaking tanking thing already.

Sadly it will be an issue that won't go away people seem to think they know when a team tanks, my main comment on the issue is why would Carlton want to lose against their arch rivals in Collingwood, or Essendon? Every person in the clubs knows Jezzas golden rule "You must always beat Collingwood, at home, and away" to see a Carlton team not try and win a clash like that does not compute.

AS far as I am concerned I cannot prove that Carlton tanked, sure I have made a few comments at some BLue fans in jest but I seriously cannot prove that the blues tanked. People seem to claim they can but there is no proof unless you were at selection meetings, or in the coaches box, or in the huddle at half time.

I don't really feel like getting dragged into a debate about something that you can't actually prove. You don't have any rock solid proof that Carlton or any other team tanked last season or ever has. So, until you can prove with out a shadow of a doubt that teams tanked AFL games, than there is no point going on since we're both not going to change our stand on this; you think tanking is a major problem, and we should bring in a lottery system that no other professional sports league in the world would even entertain, I on the other hand, couldn't give a ****, even if there was tanking going on or not. Because you will NEVER stop it no matter what you do, because it hasn't always been the bottom teams who have done the tanking. But I have no proof keep in mind.
smirk.gif

And if there was tanking, I think you will find that the teams who were tanking, weren't doing it as much as you think.

Carlton's season has started off badly their second half tonight was just embarrassing and in the end they were hopeless.There was almost a moment I felt sorry for Carlton but looking at them I have to say I couldn't. Might show there was no tanking going on if a Judd "inspired" Blues could not get the job done itmay show they are really as bad as were last year naturally.

The next four weeks are going to be terrible for the blues.

Judd will go from bad to worse IMO as the season goes on. He isn't as fast as he was at West Coast and that groin problem is still gonna be a problem for him this year.

Users who are viewing this thread