Not open for further replies.

showhimmymotto

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pakistan allrounder springs a surprise

Afridi announces 'retirement' from Tests

Osman Samiuddin

April 12, 2006

Shahid Afridi: opting out of Test cricket and will miss the tour of England ? Getty Images
Shahid Afridi has announced his `retirement' from Test cricket. In an announcement that caught most people in Pakistan by complete surprise, Afridi told a local TV channel that he was planning to concentrate only on ODI cricket to ready himself for the World Cup in 2007.

But, in a typically Pakistani twist, Afridi said that he would reconsider his `retirement' from Tests after the World Cup.

Full report to follow.

Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo

? Cricinfo

Wow, that was pretty unexpected.

I think it's a strange decision as he plays the same in Test's and ODI's, for exmaple the 92 against England and the 4 sixes against India.

but he is not consistent at all, and it has been hurting him in the ODI's. Its good that he is trying to concentrate only on the WC right now, and then as he matures as a batsmen, can play the tests. When i say mature, i mean...being able to play both games, attacking and defensive.

No No NO, I gonne have to mail PCB now, this is wrong, that allrounder is just a Key for Pakistan in batting and bowling, This will surprise the whole Pakistani Cricket fans :(.

usy said:
No No NO, I gonne have to mail PCB now, this is wrong, that allrounder is just a Key for Pakistan in batting and bowling, This will surprise the whole Pakistani Cricket fans :(.

You should probably email Afridi :rolleyes: , i think it was his decision, and a fair one. For now, Pakistan need to concentrate on WC, their test line-up is very sound, but they are lacking in a field or two in the ODI's and its time to check that.

I have SOOOO many feelings inside me that I just wan't to:

:crying :crying :crying :noway :noway

The worst part is that I was going to Headingly to watch my first cricket match ever.. And I wanted to watch ODI, but that is sold out!
So after watching what Afridi did to India earlier this year I thougt..
What the heck, if I am lucky Afridi will hit a six or ten!

THIS IS SO UNFAIR!!!! :mad :mad

afrdi retired from test cricket
then whoes gonna hit 4 sixes in a rown on harbajhan singh in test cricket :crying

He has said on his interview on GEO TV...That he will probably return to Test cricket after the World Cup!!!!!!!

As the article says it is a bit of a mixture of many reasons. All of them pretty justified. The main one to me seems that by not playing test cricket from now until the World Cup he gets to spend that time with his family and two daughters, and throw himself fully into the odi arena as the World Cup approaches.

He was also dropped from the most recent test team, so pride and a mixture of stopping the PCB having to deal with any outrage from his ardent supporters at being dropped could surely have crossed his mind.

I think it could be a good thing for the Pakistan test side, as when he plays the attention is mostly focussed on him and the vague possibility that he hits a few sixes. Now he can stick to the game that is designed for his batting, and allow the test side to focus on its goals of closing the gap on 2nd and possibly 1st in the test rankings.

I think its a sensible decision keeping the world cup in mind.But you should not call it a retirement , probably a break.He has supporters all round the globe and they will miss him in any form of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread