Afridi: Unusually Talented or just Mad

Is he talented but sadly started to believe his own press.

At one point he could have matured and developed, started to show more consistency albeit by losing some of the fireworks. I honestly think that we are or have seen the best of him and he will not progress further.

Still a very worthwhile player to have in your squad, but he could have been so much more.

He'd be a good player, I don't think he'd be brilliant, certainly not near Bradman as someone suggested. He has al the talent in the world, like many players, he just doesn't have a cricket brain when it comes to batting.

He needed to play a bit more conservatively in that ODI, defiantly. He plays how he plays. He needs to play to the situation a bit better. Someting to work on. However, I believe he is ding his job as a bowler. Either bat him up the order, so he has free reign, or else Pakistan should try to get him to play according to the situation.

To be honest, his talent is with his amazing strength. I highly doubt he has the ability of any top test batsman.

He needed to play a bit more conservatively in that ODI, defiantly. He plays how he plays. He needs to play to the situation a bit better. Someting to work on. However, I believe he is ding his job as a bowler. Either bat him up the order, so he has free reign, or else Pakistan should try to get him to play according to the situation.

To be honest, his talent is with his amazing strength. I highly doubt he has the ability of any top test batsman.

I agree with thiis

Afridi: ODI> test

well his average in 25 or so tests is 37 so hes not that bad in tests if you ask me.

Batting wise, if you use him correctly, you can get soo much out of him.

His bowling is great nowadays. He's been very tight and he has developed this wicket taking balls as well.

He is enthusiastic about the game and he can get others to really get going.

If Afridi had concentrated more, then he should have rusted like Sehwag in my opinion.. Leave those natural hitters alone.. Let them enjoy cricket in their way.. We spoiled Sehwag already forcing him to concentrate more! Whatever they get.. 30 runs, say from 15-20 balls is definitely going to be a bonus for the team.
Meanwhile Andrew Symonds is wandering about showing sloggers how to do their job. There is definitely room for such a player to grow. Symonds was like Afridi once, but his captain took him aside and simply told him that he knew what he has to do to succeed, he just had to start playing that way.

It's particularly interesting because that landmark innings at the 2003 World Cup for Symonds was against Pakistan; since they crossed paths, where has each gone?

Afridi was just about to turn 23, yet he had already played 173 ODIs. He averaged 24 with the bat, at a strikerate of about 101.

Symonds was 27 but had only played 54 ODIs. He averaged just under 24, with a strikerate of 96.

Since then, Symonds has played 123 ODIs, scoring at an average of almost 48 and his strikerate has been a forceful 93. He has scored 23 50s and 6 100s, although his bowling has fallen by the wayside, averaging over 40.

Afridi has played 70 ODIs, scoring at an average just under 23, for a ridiculous strike rate of 142. He has scored only 6 50s and a single century, but his bowling has improved, averaging less than 30.

Afridi's improved bowling is notable, but Symonds' batting is much more impressive and its the batting that we are really discussing. 6 centuries to 1 is very telling, when you consider that they are both the sort of player who wins a game when they reach a century. While afridi might have the talent to win 1 in 10 (a rough guess) matches with an amazing innings, Symonds is able to win two or three times as many with still quite remarkable gameplay. The bottom line here is that it does not matter if you win the first game of a series by 20 overs, if you can not then go and win the series.

Is it a rare talent? Well, it is rare enough that he can be successful and he does have records to his name that suggest it isn't something just anybody can get away with. However, among the elite, one has to wonder if those more respected batsmen played similar to what he does, would they be any less successful?

Good ODI/T20 Player
Bad test Player

Good ODI/T20 Player
Bad test Player

His test batting average of 37.40 and bowling average of 34.89 compared to his ODI average of 23.27 and 35.27 tell otherwise. I think his batting is paradoxically better in the slower form of the game because in ODI's there are many big hitters but in Tests he is practically alone in his style of play and so his hitting has more resonance

His test batting average of 37.40 and bowling average of 34.89 compared to his ODI average of 23.27 and 35.27 tell otherwise. I think his batting is paradoxically better in the slower form of the game because in ODI's there are many big hitters but in Tests he is practically alone in his style of play and so his hitting has more resonance

Also there are very rarely defensive fields like the ones you find in ODIs. Still I always thought Afridi would make a good test player. He is a good bowler and is handy down the order when you are chasing a total in little time or you need to post quick runs to leave yourself more time to bowl out the opposition.

The question is he lays no key role in Test team, nor he can win us a Test match.. he'll score 100 like once every 10 test.. while better Player at the limited overs match.. Puts preassure on the bowlers.

Afridi imo has the talent but not the head, he's a good bowler and I think he's very dangerous in that form. His batting? It's always there, but of late, if Afridi comes in I expect a quick 20 or an out, he isn't the threat he was.

If he had a stronger attitude (I'll call it the Aussie Mentallity) then I think he could average mid 30s in ODIs and 40 in Tests. He needs a clever coach to get the best out of him.

and that coach was Bob Woolmer, when afridi played under him he was playing very good. lets hope he starts firing in the ODI's vs India.

and that coach was Bob Woolmer, when afridi played under him he was playing very good. lets hope he starts firing in the ODI's vs India.

Trust me he will. He always ups his game against India, and more particularly against Pathan. Its going to be a great contest between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread