Afridi: Unusually Talented or just Mad

Good ODI/T20 Player
Bad test Player
Like everyone has said, he does well for an all-rounder in Tests. He scores slower, but is more consistent simply because he shows discretion. On the other hand, his batting in T20 is aggressive to the point of uselessness.

The thing with Afridi is that he always wants to hit. He has an awesome talent but he has no brains when it comes to bowling although he probalby gets his brains from the dressing room when it comes to bowling. But here we are talking about batting...Great talent...Could have been success if he took his brain with him for batting too! Has some great records to his name...no doubt about it...Just needs to use his brain. Send him as an opener and your gonna get awarded!

Like everyone has said, he does well for an all-rounder in Tests. He scores slower, but is more consistent simply because he shows discretion. On the other hand, his batting in T20 is aggressive to the point of uselessness.

All I can say is playing "slower" is not Afridi, he is a player good for ODI. He can turn the game round with his bowling aswell. He has no use in the test team. We need someone with better technique.

Actually, if Afridi took ODIs as Test cricket and batted just a bit more slowly, took more time to get his eye in, he'd be absolutely brilliant...

But as he is at the moment, never rely on Afridi to win you a game! :p
He should open the batting or atleast be unleashed in the powerplays. He'll be at his best then.

Afridi has raw talent but does not have a head to use it. Had he been in Australia his career would have been over by now.

Afridi has raw talent but does not have a head to use it. Had he been in Australia his career would have been over by now.
His career wouldnt have been ended...It would be 10 steps ahead now!

The Pakistani captains and coaches dont know how to use him and somebody said that on the previous page that even Symonds was like Afridi at some stage...He has improved a hell lot and if Afridi is moved to Australia, he is going to be awesome!

So many idiots on here have sigs like "AFRIDI IS THE BEST PLAYER EVAAAA!!11" or words to that effect.

He is a slogger.. He fires on the odd occasion. He bowls handy leg spin..

What else is there to say? There are heaps of international players better than him.. If he belonged to Australia or South Africa I doubt he would get much of a go.

Last edited:
So many idiots on here have sigs like "AFRIDI IS THE BEST PLAYER EVAAAA!!11" or words to that effect.

He is a slogger.. He fires on the odd occasion. He bowls handy off spin..

What else is there to say? There are heaps of international players better than him.. If he belonged to Australia or South Africa I doubt he would get much of a go.

First of all, nobody has a sig than claims afridi is the best player "evaaaaa" or whatever you said. We know he's a slogger, but thats what makes him fun to watch. He's a very talented cricketer, no doubt. Secondly, he bowls leg spin not off spin.Thirdly, may nations would love to have Afridi. Even Australia would want an Afridi type player so they could nurture him and transform him into a clean hitter and a more consistent agressive batter, not a slogger.

How can a man who has scored over 5000 ODI runs at a strike rate of 110 not be talented? He has score the fastest century, many quick fifties etc. Now that he has learnt to bowl with such discipline and variation, there is only one conclusion - He is unusually talented.

He is a slogger.. He fires on the odd occasion. He bowls handy off spin..

I agree a lil'but but, hes not the worst player ever, He is a good decent ODI Player.

First of all, nobody has a sig than claims afridi is the best player "evaaaaa" or whatever you said. We know he's a slogger, but thats what makes him fun to watch. He's a very talented cricketer, no doubt. Secondly, he bowls leg spin not off spin.Thirdly, may nations would love to have Afridi. Even Australia would want an Afridi type player so they could nurture him and transform him into a clean hitter and a more consistent agressive batter, not a slogger.

How can a man who has scored over 5000 ODI runs at a strike rate of 110 not be talented? He has score the fastest century, many quick fifties etc. Now that he has learnt to bowl with such discipline and variation, there is only one conclusion - He is unusually talented.

Yes they do! I remember vividly at least 3 people when I was more active on these boards with sigs just like that. It pissed me off.

Afridi isn't anything special.. He isn't even a permanent spot in the team. Of course he is talented.. All international cricketers are, but saying he is "unusually talented" is absolute rubbish. If he truely was "unusually talented' he'd be:

A) A permanent place
B.)Have an average of at least over 40. C'mon, we are talking UNUSUALLY TALENTED. What is his average with the bat anyway? 23?

And hasn't he only hit like 4 hundreds in 250 odd games? C'mon mate, I'm not saying he is a bad player, I think he is entertaining as hell, but calling him Unusually Talented is unjust and an insult to people who ACTUALLY are.

We well focus on ODI here:

AFRIDI:

Matches 240
Runs scored 5072
Batting average 23.37
100s/50s 4/28
Top score 109
Wickets 204
Bowling average 35.25
5 wickets in innings 2
Best bowling 5/11

What is so extremely orgasmic there?

Even though his strike rate isn't there.. I'll give you that. But, what good is a 111 strike rate when you average 23?

Try comparing afridis record to some real 'Unusually Talented" players, like your Gilchrists, Pontings, Haydens, Pollocks, Tendulkars, Laras, Akrams, Bradmans, Hobbs, hell even the tosser Kevin Pieterson! :P

All I am saying is that I find it really really silly to call him unusually talented. The man is a great hitter of the ball, and as I said, I love watching him play when he is on fire, but he just can't be labeled as unusually talented sorry.

Last edited:
Shahid Afridi

Filter: in matches that started after 2006-01-01.
Sort order: chronological.

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

29 401 77* 16.70 0 2 31 3/20 30.38 0 7 0

Yes they do! I remember vividly at least 3 people when I was more active on these boards with sigs just like that. It pissed me off.

Afridi isn't anything special.. He isn't even a permanent spot in the team. Of course he is talented.. All international cricketers are, but saying he is "unusually talented" is absolute rubbish. If he truely was "unusually talented' he'd be:

A) A permanent place
B.)Have an average of at least over 40. C'mon, we are talking UNUSUALLY TALENTED. What is his average with the bat anyway? 23?

And hasn't he only hit like 4 hundreds in 250 odd games? C'mon mate, I'm not saying he is a bad player, I think he is entertaining as hell, but calling him Unusually Talented is unjust and an insult to people who ACTUALLY are.

We well focus on ODI here:

AFRIDI:

Matches 240
Runs scored 5072
Batting average 23.37
100s/50s 4/28
Top score 109
Wickets 204
Bowling average 35.25
5 wickets in innings 2
Best bowling 5/11

What is so extremely orgasmic there?

Even though his strike rate isn't there.. I'll give you that. But, what good is a 111 strike rate when you average 23?

Try comparing afridis record to some real 'Unusually Talented" players, like your Gilchrists, Pontings, Haydens, Pollocks, Tendulkars, Laras, Akrams, Bradmans, Hobbs, hell even the tosser Kevin Pieterson! :P

All I am saying is that I find it really really silly to call him unusually talented. The man is a great hitter of the ball, and as I said, I love watching him play when he is on fire, but he just can't be labeled as unusually talented sorry.
Mate...Tell me the last time when he wasnt selected in the ODI squad! He has been a permanent member of the Pakistan ODI team since over 2 years!

Mate...Tell me the last time when he wasnt selected in the ODI squad! He has been a permanent member of the Pakistan ODI team since over 2 years!

Erm...
Thats just the mistake of your selectors!

He can hit the ball long. That's it!
He can get you 23 in 10 balls and get out. Thats all he can do!
He's not going to get you hundreds. He doesn't care if you need 3 runs in 12 balls with one wicket in hand or 1 run in 1 ball. he's going to go for the big hits-it's all he knows how to do.
He's not going to win you games because of his batting.
I'd take a Mishbah any day rather then afridi.
His bowling is useful. It's good.
But to consider him a full fledged allrounder is not right. He's a bowler who can slog a bit.
He can open the batting decently. I'd take 70-1 in 10 overs (If Afridi did his job right).
But you never know. He could go on to hit 120 in like 30 balls or get out first ball to a doddle.

He's not a cricketer that I like to watch.

Erm...
Thats just the mistake of your selectors!

He can hit the ball long. That's it!
He can get you 23 in 10 balls and get out. Thats all he can do!
He's not going to get you hundreds. He doesn't care if you need 3 runs in 12 balls with one wicket in hand or 1 run in 1 ball. he's going to go for the big hits-it's all he knows how to do.
He's not going to win you games because of his batting.
I'd take a Mishbah any day rather then afridi.
His bowling is useful. It's good.
But to consider him a full fledged allrounder is not right. He's a bowler who can slog a bit.
He can open the batting decently. I'd take 70-1 in 10 overs (If Afridi did his job right).
But you never know. He could go on to hit 120 in like 30 balls or get out first ball to a doddle.

He's not a cricketer that I like to watch.
Thats where our team goes wrong. They have to send them as opener or just dont expect anything from him!

Users who are viewing this thread