April 2 - India v Sri Lanka - The Final!

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
In ANY team sport the captain is the leader of the pack, seniority of all other players notwithstanding. All team players play under the captain. Captain calls the shots, though he may take the advise of senior players.

Sachin just re-iterated his terrific team spirit by accepting that he can play "under" much younger captains. I think that is his greatest achievement: the conquest of ego to perform at the top stage for so long.

It is the question of outlook . I worked "with" my project leader for my school project and not "under" him.
Anyways , I think he was misquoted. I guess he said "with" and not "under" . I caught a bit of his interview while channel surfing.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sangakkara did not do anything wrong. Maybe he decided to resign from captaincy and focus on his batting even before the WC happened.

Sachin's words are nectar for Dhoni. Its official now. Dhoni is India's best ever captain. All Kapil Dev and Saurav Ganguly fans (and other captain fans), time to accept the fact!!! If Ganguly took over a tumultous team after the match fixing saga, Dhoni took over a team that was divided into pieces after the Greh Chappell saga. So Dhoni has put his big effort in building the team. He has had his share of luck too, but a captain cant be lucky throughout his career and Dhoni's good work has translated into luck at times. And what a time he choose to shut his critics - a stunning innings in the final. I rate Dhoni's innings higher than Gambhir simply for the fact that he was even more hopelessly out of form before that final blitzkrieg (Gambhir was getting those 30's and 40's and was looking in more than decent touch too)

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
IMHO, Sangakkara shouldn't have resigned from captaincy, he was doing a great job for Srilanka.
Now who will be the next captain, Only Mathews looks a solid option to me.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
its really sad to see dhoni getting all the limelight! its all dhoni, dhoni and more dhoni and his "comeback" and "shuts his critics" comments all over the forums as well the media.

what about zaheer khan ? hes the unsung hero. took 21 wickets and was the leader of the pace attack. if he was out of form / injured, dhoni wouldnt even had an opportunity to "COMEBACK" ! :rolleyes

its making me hate dhoni even more. :mad

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
its really sad to see dhoni getting all the limelight! its all dhoni, dhoni and more dhoni and his "comeback" and "shuts his critics" comments all over the forums as well the media.

what about zaheer khan ? hes the unsung hero. took 21 wickets and was the leader of the pace attack. if he was out of form / injured, dhoni wouldnt even had an opportunity to "COMEBACK" ! :rolleyes

+ infinity

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Why not request it in the graphics section?

----------

Well said jkartik.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
The news reported that Samaraweera and Dilshan are being looked at as replacements for Sangakkara, but neither of them will be in top shape come the next WC, so that's still a stop-gap solution at best. Like someone said, Angelo Matthews is probably the best young option.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
@Sai - Yes, whatever sachin says HAS to be accepted, so YES, I ACCEPT! :rolleyes

Oh come on!! Even without Sachin saying it, DHONI IS INDIA's BEST CAPTAIN EVER!! Accept it or leave it! I will say it everytime. Well, the whole country says it!!!!!!!!

----------

Dhoni played the crucial innings of all in THE FINAL!!!! Zaheer Khan was busted in those final overs for 35 runs in 2 overs (I agree he played a great part in our WC win). It was Zaheer's last over spell in that game that led to a tricky situation for us chasing 274 when we should have chased 250 odd. Its always people's tendency to hail the captain when they win a WC (more so when the captain wins the final for the team). What did Kapil Dev do in that final apart from catching Viv Richards (even that catch was not so great but it was hailed as if Kapil did a Jonty Rhodes or something). But the 1983 win is more associate with Kapil Dev (he is the guy that we remember with the 83 win more). The captain gets big adulation when such wins come by. You have decided to hate Dhoni, then why do you try to give such lame excuses that this is the reason to hate? GO ON WITH IT, Dhoni and his huge legion of fans wont be perturbed!!:p

----------

The news reported that Samaraweera and Dilshan are being looked at as replacements for Sangakkara, but neither of them will be in top shape come the next WC, so that's still a stop-gap solution at best. Like someone said, Angelo Matthews is probably the best young option.

Thats not the way to go when picking a captain. You got to pick the best choice for the current situation. The WC is a big event but captains are not picked just so that they last till the next WC which is 4 yrs away. Dilshan should be the best choice to take over as captain. They can always replace Dilshan a few years later with someone who would be good enough to take them through till the WC.

Last edited:

Gurjot95

National Board President
Oh come on!! Even without Sachin saying it, DHONI IS INDIA's BEST CAPTAIN EVER!! Accept it or leave it! I will say it everytime. Well, the whole country says it!!!!!!!!
He's maybe best but his decisions aren't. 70% of decisions are risky but it proves lucky for a team. But I do like his ability to be calm in every situation. His decisions can lost us a match but most of time it works for Team. He's been a lucky team. He is worst in selecting players but best in handling bowlers and pressure.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Its funny how people still hate Dhoni, if he does something wrong they would latch onto him and if he does something right they start saying "he is lucky, bla bla". Well whether you like it or not, Dhoni has been the most successful captain of India, much much better than Ganguly or any other captain India has ever had.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Dhoni played the crucial innings of all in THE FINAL!!!! Zaheer Khan was busted in those final overs for 35 runs in 2 overs (I agree he played a great part in our WC win). It was Zaheer's last over spell in that game that led to a tricky situation for us chasing 274 when we should have chased 250 odd. Its always people's tendency to hail the captain when they win a WC (more so when the captain wins the final for the team). What did Kapil Dev do in that final apart from catching Viv Richards (even that catch was not so great but it was hailed as if Kapil did a Jonty Rhodes or something). But the 1983 win is more associate with Kapil Dev (he is the guy that we remember with the 83 win more). The captain gets big adulation when such wins come by. You have decided to hate Dhoni, then why do you try to give such lame excuses that this is the reason to hate? GO ON WITH IT, Dhoni and his huge legion of fans wont be perturbed!!

Whatever, but what Dhoni did apart from that one final innings.
JK said it right here.

He is India's most successful captain ever, stats show it, he is good at handling pressure, everybody knows it but he is worst in selecting players.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Its funny how people still hate Dhoni, if he does something wrong they would latch onto him and if he does something right they start saying "he is lucky, bla bla". Well whether you like it or not, Dhoni has been the most successful captain of India, much much better than Ganguly or any other captain India has ever had.

People always have a problem with our captains and them getting the adulation when things happen in favor of the team. Ganguly went through the same thing and now Dhoni. Thats why its such a tough job being India captain and both Ganguly and Dhoni have handled it the best. When you make someone a captain, he is the boss and he selects his team. You judge a captain by the final result to see if he wins series/tournaments for the team and Dhoni has just won the World Cup (ultimate prize in ODI cricket). His decisions have eventually worked (he didnt pick Ashwin I agree, but Munaf and Nehra came to the party in the crucial games).

----------

Whatever, but what Dhoni did apart from that one final innings.
JK said it right here.

He is India's most successful captain ever, stats show it, he is good at handling pressure, everybody knows it but he is worst in selecting players.

He selects players he thinks will work. And they have almost worked. A captain is allowed a few selection blunders and Dhoni has accepted that he made a mistake in the India-Pakistan semis game by not picking Ashwin.

A captain doesnt always need to select players that the public thinks should be selected. His selections should be judged by the results that the team achieves.

Users who are viewing this thread