Are England ready for Australia now?

Are England ready for Australia

• Yes. England will kick Australia anytime anyplace.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No. Australia is just too much for them.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • England are 2nd best in the world, but still arent good enough to topple the Aussies from top spot.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The way England have been playing since May 2003, one would think so. A talented wicketkeeper who can score runs (Geraint Jones), along with probably the best wicketkeeper in the world (Chris Read). The World's best all rounder currently (Flintoff). Some of the best batsman in the world (Trescothick, Vaughan, Thorpe, Butcher, Collingwood) along with the emerging stars (Strauss, Clarke, Blackwell, Saggers, Johnson). And also one of the most dangerous bowling attacks in the world (Harmison, Hoggard, Jones, Anderson).

So are England ready to face to Australia....or maybe just maybe....are the aussies ready to face this new england side...that is kicking @$$ at the moment.

I am an England supporter but I honestly
think that the Aussies will be still 2 good
4 us

Nope. England are still behind Australia and India

Originally posted by slade
Nope. England are still behind Australia and India

I agree, England have improved but they are certainly not #2. One shouldn't forget that India haven't lost home (won 2-1) and away (1-1) series to the Aussies. I don't think any other test team has done that in last few years.

Originally posted by Shailesh
I agree, England have improved but they are certainly not #2. One shouldn't forget that India haven't lost home (won 2-1) and away (1-1) series to the Aussies. I don't think any other test team has done that in last few years.

yes but somehow india cant dominate other teams....for example take NZ. NZ thrashed India 2-0 in NZ, and India only managed a 0-0 draw when NZ toured India.

In Test matches, England are currently 2nd (3rd according to ICC Ratings behing SA) mainly because of its consistency. 8 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats is a pretty impressive record, and England have 5 of their last 6 test matches, with 1 draw. England also have the strongest bowling attack in the world at the moment, I think, also the best allrounder in the world in Andrew Flintoff.

Well i think the next ashes will effectively prove whose no.1 in test matches...till then nothing can be said.

yes but somehow india cant dominate other teams....for example take NZ. NZ thrashed India 2-0 in NZ, and India only managed a 0-0 draw when NZ toured India.

can't dominate other teams? India haven't lost a home series in last 5 years. And other than in NZ, they have won tests in every country they toured. They won 1-0 v England at home and 1-1 in England. Defeated Aus 2-1 at home and dominated in Australia 1-1. and to top it they defeated Pakistan in Pakistan in tests and odi. What more can you ask for? series to decide #1 is when Aussies tour India later this year.

Well i think the next ashes will effectively prove whose no.1 in test matches
series to decide #1 is when Aussies tour India later this year.
One series can't decide who is the best team in the world- but there's no bloody way it's England :)

i am sorry brad...but i dont think you've been watching england recently.....cuz those who have been have really appreciated their performances

Also I guess the ICC Points system is fair enough to indicate the consistency of teams...and as per the latest ratings, England are 3rd and are closing in on South Africa.

I think there is no doubt that Australia are still no.1, and unless they are beaten 3-0, 4-0 by India in India, I dont see them losing that position.

As a performance tracker, lets track the performances of four main challengers to Australia, i.e, England, New Zealand, South Africa and India. [Please note I am considering Test Matches ONLY]

Considering team performances in test matches after the World Cup 2003.

England
Played: 18
Won: 11
Lost: 3
Drawn: 4
Win Rate: 61.11%

South Africa
Played: 16
Won: 8
Lost: 4
Drawn: 4
Win Rate: 50%

New Zealand
Played: 11
Won: 1
Lost: 4
Drawn: 6
Win Rate: 9.09%

India
Played: 9
Won: 3
Lost: 2
drawn: 4
Win Rate: 33.33%

Also since Pak have a decent test record
Pakistan
Played: 10
Won: 6
Lost: 2
Drawn: 2
Win Rate: 60%

ALL INFO COURTESY STATSGURU CRICINFO

Last edited:
I agree with you M VAughn that England are now becoming contenders and will hopefully give both India and Australia more of a run for there mone. However, the tracking you have done may not be the fairest method, as it does not take into account the oposition each team has faced.

I think there is no doubt that Australia are still no.1, and unless they are beaten 3-0, 4-0 by India in India

this is exactly what I'm aiming to achieve in my c2004 series. :D

I agree with Brad that 1 series may not decide #1 spot. All in all it's good for test cricket in general to have 3-4 strong teams who can get close to #1 position. I think England will get a idea of where they stand when they tour SA, same for India when they play Australia. For NZ's part they had a bad series but were not full strength.

Originally posted by Shailesh
this is exactly what I'm aiming to achieve in my c2004 series. :D

No doubt you will have to reduce the Aussie stats and increase the Indians stats then to achieve this S :p :D

I think England will get a idea of where they stand when they tour SA, same for India when they play Australia. For NZ's part they had a bad series but were not full strength.

Yes, the SA tour shouldl be a cracker. However I disagree about NZ not being upto full strenght, because the last 1 and half years they have been without Nathan Astle, and he was back for this tour. Only absentee was Shane Bond, but he has been out for a while. This NZ side is much stronger side than the one that toured India and Pakistan in 2003, especialy with Astle back. England have simply outplayed the Kiwiz, which is a great achievement of Michael Vaughan and his boys.

Just because they have beaten the West Indies and NZ doesnt mean they are anywhere near beating Australia. The New Zealand side was one of the best they have put on the field, admittedly. Even the coach said as much before the tour began. West Indies, on the other hand can hardly bowl out Bangladesh twice. In fact their number nine and ten both scored centuries against them. Hardly tough opponents. The fact is, Australia are still a force too formidable, I believe for england to beat them in a 5 test series. They will undoubtably put up much more of a fight these next ashes, and thats great for cricket alround.

I do think at the moment Australia are still number 1 in the world and number 2 is a close fought battle between England,India & South Africa depending on the venue.But the gap is almost certainly closing.You do not lose legends like the waugh brothers and shortly McGrath & warne and continue to improve,it will take time for the newer players to even settle into Test cricket.On the up & coming talent that is on show at the present,current form & confidence levels,England could possibly be able to bring the ashes back to where they truly belong.Regarding one day cricket and winning the world cup I think we stand more chance of winning the football world cup and we know what our chances are there SLIM or NONE and SLIMS out of town!

Users who are viewing this thread