Article: Dhoni as a Captain

Gurjot95

National Board President
Before writing something, I would like to quote some lines on his Cricinfo profile
There was a time when the very idea of an Indian cricketer rivaling Sachin Tendulkar in the popularity stakes bordered on the preposterous. But the advent of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his meteoric rise through the ranks did just that, with a new generation transfixed by a small-town boy whose personality and background couldn't have been more different from that of Tendulkar.
Scoring a duck in his ODI Debut just like Tendulkar, no one would have thought how this man will come out in future and eventually change the face of Indian cricket. The signs of his were shown in his 3rd match where he scored remarkable 148 against Pakistan. It was performance of clean hitting and extraordinary batting.

With change in time, He was tested as captain and sent to T20 WC 2007 where he proved successful. He lead the team with underdogs title with all new youngsters, pressure of performing better and lead the team into glory. This was much needed victory for Indian Cricket Team after their horrible performance 6 months back in ODI World Cup. This was the start in creating a new face for Indian Cricket. After this successful Tournament, He became captain and won a CB series in Australia defeating much strong Australia by that time. Becoming a regular captain, he changed his batting style, from aggressive to Moderate batsman. His batting averaged increased but so his critics. After a disappointment season in T20 WC 2009, people started calling him selfish. He took all criticism and waited for right time. That time came in where he became a captain for Test team after Anil Kumble. A young test captain with much pressure on his head, playing with seniors he stayed calm and lead the team into 1st spot in Test Cricket in history. He won Border-Gavaskar Trophy, drew series with SA in away for 1st time and at home in Tests. Now he is successful International captain. His success wasn't only in international but domestic also where he won IPL and Champions League.

But his main test came in ODI World Cup. He was out of form in whole world cup with both batting and captaincy. His shocking decision cost us match against SA. But after that, he won Quarter final match against Australia, Semifinal against Pakistan leading into perfect finale against Sri Lanka. Being out of form in whole tournament, He came forward at batting at No. 3 and scored a 91* where Team once were struggling at 31/2 with both openers out and hopes of winning world cup were going down. His partnership with Gambhir gave India to grab their hands on World Cup. It was the moment which Indians were waiting for 28 years and it came with a six from Dhoni. He got a man of the match award in finals which couldn't get better for him. India became new world champions after 1999.

He received many criticism that he has a Luck but people need to remember that winning a lottery one time is luck but winning it every time is not. It may call as luck when someone takes risk and shocking decisions and those decisions goes in favor of him but it's needs very brave man to take it every time. The seeds which were sown by Ganguly, watered by his successors were eventually grown at time of Dhoni. Today India is one of the stronger team and unlike 90's they don't have to depend on Tendulkar performance. Today Dhoni is a successful captain in all formats. As fas as I know he has won all the multinational and domestic tournaments (more than 3 teams) atleast once under his captaincy which includes T20 WC, IPL twice, Champions League, Asia Cup and World Cup. Today India is No. 1 in Test and has ODI World Cup. He gave a shoulder to Yuvraj when he was struggling with his fitness and form, Today he is now World Cup, man of tournament. I feel proud that today my team is captained by a Cool head, have guts to take brave decision man.

Sorry for short article but this was my first article here. Apologies for all the grammatical mistakes but I will learn with time.

Last edited:
I totally agree with all the things you stated, he is surely the best captain India have so far.Hats off to him, for his brilliant captaincy.I like his batting as well though many criticizes his batting.
It actually is a good article, Rahul.
This was my first article here. Apologies for all the grammatical mistakes but I will learn with time.
Everything was fine except one negligible spelling mistake.
battering

Last edited:
A monkey could lead West Indian side of 1976-92

A monkey could lead Australian side of 1995-2007

A monkey would easily lead this so strong Indian side

Dhoni has done well as captain but its mostly because of unbelievable strength of Indian batting.On skill,I would rate Mansoor Khan Patoudi as the best Indian captain ever.

Dhoni has done well as captain but its mostly because of unbelievable strength of Indian batting.On skill,I would rate Mansoor Khan Patoudi as the best Indian captain ever.

Then why don't they hire monkeys? You don't need to pay them and they can lead such strong sides and anyways win. :rolleyes

Even a strong side needs a good captain to show their strength. Most of the time with a strong side, the problem of plenty exists and the captain is the guy who takes the decision on what resources to use and what not to.

I think we are on to something here,

the World Cup winning team must field at least one monkey in all ODIs until the next WC.

WOW. Current Indian team, that too the ODI team, being compared to the Australian side of the 00s?! I guess we were better than I thought...

Yeah right!!

I had a good read. Nice article-

However, I'll have to disagree with him being India's best captain. It's true he has led up-front remarkably but Mohammad Azharuddin will always cherish the honor of(me thinking him) being India's best captain($) ever!

$- OPINION BASED

Statistical In-sight(we need some :O)

M Azharuddin- 14 wins, 14 losses and 19 draws in test cricket; 89 wins, 76 losses(W% 54) in ODI
*Holds the record for most ODI wins

Sourav Ganguly- 21 wins, 13 lost, 15 draws in test cricket; 76 wins, 65 losses(W% 54) in ODI
*Scored the most number of centuries while captaining India

MS Dhoni- 14 wins, 3 losses, 7 draws in test cricket; 58 wins, 35 losses(W% 56) in ODI
*M.S.Dhoni is the first and only wicket keeper to captain any team for more than 50 matches
----

Reference
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_India_national_cricket_captains

Last edited:
Guys, you're not that good, you've got a couple of decent players... they just happen to be a few of the best players in the world. If you took away the likes of Sehwag, Dhoni and Tendulkar from your team, you'd hardly have anything.

harrisb wrote:
Guys, you're not that good, you've got a couple of decent players... they just happen to be a few of the best players in the world. If you took away the likes of Sehwag, Dhoni and Tendulkar from your team, you'd hardly have anything.

That is not true at all. India have a formidable set of young cricketers who are waiting for an opportunity to represent their country at the national level. I don't have to go in-depth and state their names.

We WON the T20 world-cup in 2007 with a young brigade didn't we?
*Hi! We're at the present, the best team*
---

Okay.. if we remove the likes of Sehwag, Tendulkar we'd hardly have anything- you say? I'm sorry, what?

Last edited:

Well remove Mcgrath and Warne from OZ of 1995-2007 and see how they struggle.

@cricketlover172: http://geekmontage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/prophet-lol-cat-seen-the-future.jpg

Well we're not Australia. Okay let's say we DO loose Tendulkar and Sehwag as we have now(against the West Indies) but instead permanently.

Code:
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir 
---------> 
Gambhir
Murli Vijay
Virat Kholi

*Stated above is a very simple example and is in no way related to a definitive scenario
---
Right? I'd back Vijay and Kholi to maintain solidity at the top.
_
My only concern is the bowling department. That is the most vulnerable(and has been) for a long time. If we loose a few key bowlers like Zak and Harabajan, then it's likely we'd go through a bit of a struggle until we find decent replacements.

Haha, we are not that good, only got couple of decent players? Funny how all those couple of players you mentioned fills our batting lineup

Gambhir (I think you have forgot him)
Sehwag
V. Kohli
Tendulkar
S. Raina
Yuvraj (probably him too)
Dhoni

Only 2 young players in that batsman list with one having average of 44+ and other 35 with decent stroke player, you can hardly expect anything more from that lineup. If you remove greats from any team, it will be a weak team. Australia are the good example. Good team do consist of greats. Agree our bowling is not that good but as long as batsman are scoring, I am pretty happy.

----------

Monkey wont come when your team need to take some risky decisions :p

Code:
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir 
---------> 
Gambhir
Murli Vijay
Virat Kholi

*Stated above is a very simple example and is in no way related to a definitive scenario
---
Right? I'd back Vijay and Kholi to maintain solidity at the top.

Vijay .

:lol:lol

Sherlock Holmes would have no answer to the curious case of Vijay's inclusion in the Indian team .

Users who are viewing this thread