Ashes Cricket 2009 Screenshots

Yeah im a little surprised that during that lengthy and quite thorough Q&A with the developer there were no questions asked about the inclusion of more stats!? That was one of my main gripes with BLC07 (apart from the rest of the downsides) that for some reason the guys making these games think cricketers dont love stats. Thats what makes cricket my favourite sport, im in love with stats and graphs and comparisons (i.e form of a batsman over the last year etc) and Im quite sure im not the only one on this forum who feels that way.

Lets face it, the more stats we have the more immersed we will be in the games and actually feel involved. I really hope to see wagonwheels and all sorts readily available in this game....or playing through a series and actually being able to see who was the most prolific with bat and ball. Along with intelligent AI and difficult gameplay, thats what im most looking forward to and hoping for.

I think everyone seem to have too hyped when it came out suddenly. Personally,no should be expecting totally new look and totally different. Obviously, they try to improve from previous version rather than spend time writing lines of codes on new one.:p

Apparently it's being made by a completely different company: Atari?

Even then though, I still reckon the keeper should be further back. That's like where I stand for a 70mph club bowler on crappy club wickets.

Maybe it's a spinner? :D

Development costs is enough of an excuse.

It's been two years since we've had a cricket simulator, the game will be hyped and the first impressions aren't bad.

Development costs are not an excuse if they give the PS3/Xbox 360 amazing graphics and then skimp on PC ones!

This time they seem to have focussed on hardcore cricket gamers too,

But lets wait and see..

Let's hope so. After all, they are the people who will want to play the game!

The problem with focusing too heavily on the 5 day side of the game is that most people who play the game would find it boring. Realistic tests involve strike rates of 40 - No one wants to sit in front of a TV leaving balls all day, they want to smack everything for six.

And that's the problem with cricket games.

I disagree entirely; I find it far more satisfying to play a gorgeous cut/hook or drive shot along the ground. If a game came along where you actually had to judge when to leave a ball, when to defend and when to smack it, instead of one where you could try to hit every ball with relatively little risk, then that would be some game.

The reason you turn to slog is because your rewarded with slogging. If you got more runs by just playing on the deck, i'm sure that's what you would do.
For e.g when you got all the players sorounding inside the circle you can be pretty confident that its going to go over that. But you have to get the placement really well to get it through the gaps.

Precisely. Devs need to make it less likely that you can hit sixes so easily! If you try to hit a six to one on off stump on a good length and seaming away, then you should get exactly what you'd get in real life: out!

If they can get the Test match mode right then I'll be happy.

Stuff this T20 bullshit, it would be great to have see-sawing battles in a test match at Lords, Australia Vs England. Like you think your on top at 0/100, then Freddie Flintoff pulls out an inspiring spell of bowling to leave you 5/160 at Tea... ahhhh you can dream!

Agreed! I just hope they don't make the tests T20 in white uniforms; what with all the fuss about T20 these days and even players like C. Gayle publicly saying that they couldn't care less if tests dies out entirely, you have to wonder. If this game can produce decent, realistic see-sawing battles in Tests, I'll be happy, even if ODIs and T20s are rubbish. But I think it's more likely to be the other way round. Still, it's a good thing that a new developer is in charge now.

If the game proves to have good, challenging and realistic gameplay, I couldn't care less about the position of the batsman's top hand, or whether or not all the batsmen wear arm guards.

MasterBlaster76 added 4 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Yeah im a little surprised that during that lengthy and quite thorough Q&A with the developer there were no questions asked about the inclusion of more stats!? That was one of my main gripes with BLC07 (apart from the rest of the downsides) that for some reason the guys making these games think cricketers dont love stats. Thats what makes cricket my favourite sport, im in love with stats and graphs and comparisons (i.e form of a batsman over the last year etc) and Im quite sure im not the only one on this forum who feels that way.

Lets face it, the more stats we have the more immersed we will be in the games and actually feel involved. I really hope to see wagonwheels and all sorts readily available in this game....or playing through a series and actually being able to see who was the most prolific with bat and ball. Along with intelligent AI and difficult gameplay, thats what im most looking forward to and hoping for.

Exactly! I mean, how hard can it be to put the scoreboard up between overs, or alternate between batting/bowling cards/spiders/wagon wheels? No point having tons of stats if they're always buried in a menu somewhere. How many of you can actually be bothered to sift through some stupid menu to get at them? Or look at it another way: if you were watching on TV, but always had to navigate a menu to look at stats, would you even bother? These devs keep going on about TV style coverage; well, that's a pretty big part of it!

Agreed! I just hope they don't make the tests T20 in white uniforms

Seconded. I rarely play anything other than tests, they are what captures and holds my interest. I really really hope they get tests right.

OT: I can't believe Gayle's attitude. He really said that? He's a test captain for goodness sake. :noway

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed that this will be as good as it seems.

Seconded. I rarely play anything other than tests, they are what captures and holds my interest. I really really hope they get tests right.

OT: I can't believe Gayle's attitude. He really said that? He's a test captain for goodness sake. :noway

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed that this will be as good as it seems.

I'm afraid so, mate:

Chris Gayle Wants to Quit Test Cricket Captaincy

Andrew Strauss said the exact opposite. Apart from anything else, no tests would mean...no Ashes!!!! :eek:

Its because test cricket doesnt have as many fans and young fans as it should... because of the T20 craze. Like its good but i prefer Test cricket just the five days of cricket gets me lol

and i agree in BLIC 07 there was no were enough stats... i love to check how my players are going... and if it can keep stats for every game played that would be awesome... so after playing the game for like 6 months checking all the stats... getting batsman with averages of 60 etc... who is the leading wicket taker etc... i hope they have that..

The game definatly looks amazing but what me need to see is a gameplay trailer

i find T20 really boring and repitive. a six means nothing to me now, its just another score. At least Test and ODi go for long enough for there to be variences in the way the game plays out.

At last another cricket game to look forward to and it's not far away, it looks pretty good if I'm honest and judging by the interview things are looking promising in the bugs/gameplay department especially as the developers read the bug threads which is more than EA/HB did. With this and the Trine game coming next year? which looks good (again gameplay/editing players & teams will determine how good it is) will it matter if EA bother with cricket after continuing bug ridden games?

Steve S.

and i agree in BLIC 07 there was no were enough stats... i love to check how my players are going... and if it can keep stats for every game played that would be awesome... so after playing the game for like 6 months checking all the stats... getting batsman with averages of 60 etc... who is the leading wicket taker etc... i hope they have that..

That would be fecking amazing...exactly what Im talking about! Imagine having a system built into the game where your stats are updated into a global rating system...kinda like ICC rankings. And after each game/series you can see how your players are comparing to other test-playing teams.

See...THATS the kinda stuff I want! It annoys the crap out of me when people worry about irrelevant things like "oh damn his face isnt EXACTLY the way it is in real life" or "his gloves dont look perfect" - seriously...who gives a crap? Because in the end those arent things that will make you enjoy the game any better. We want substance...Well I do anyway

You would think with the Ashes branding the commentators might say or it might come up on the screen that the batsman has 400 runs in the series, etc.

You would think with the Ashes branding the commentators might say or it might come up on the screen that the batsman has 400 runs in the series, etc.

well yeah but that is still quite primitive really, its 2009 we shouldnt be impressed by things like that it should be a given. Fifa has had the kind of stats we long for since like 1994! I cant understand how a stat-reliant game like cricket hasnt even touched on the basic elements included in the fifa series over the past 15 years. And I dont buy the whole "yeah but football is bigger than cricket" - so what? All it takes is a dedicated design team with a love for cricket...if you have people designing a game who are passionate about cricket they will KNOW what real cricket fans like myself want.

Yeah im a little surprised that during that lengthy and quite thorough Q&A with the developer there were no questions asked about the inclusion of more stats!?

From what I understood most of us were more concerned about game play and customization of the game so they gave importance to that. And, everything else they include I assume is sort of bonus. Not sure if they included stats though.

Apparently it's being made by a completely different company: Atari?

Isn't Atari publisher and transmission games being actual developer!:rolleyes:

From what I understood most of us were more concerned about game play and customization of the game so they gave importance to that. And, everything else they include I assume is sort of bonus. Not sure if they included stats though.

Well yeah i dont have a problem with the questions asked, I think the questions about AI were very well constructed and great that they were in there. But instead of wanting to know the obvious things like what modes the game will include (which are pretty obvious if you ask me) I would have been more curious to know about things that have been omitted from the game for such a long time, ie abundance of in depth and relevant stats.

Its because test cricket doesnt have as many fans and young fans as it should... because of the T20 craze. Like its good but i prefer Test cricket just the five days of cricket gets me lol

I love Test cricket, and i'm only 14 :rolleyes: besides school, any free time i have had i've been watching England take on the Windies :cool: I also can't wait for the Ashes 09, and Ashes: Cricket 2009

Too awesome :D

well yeah but that is still quite primitive really, its 2009 we shouldnt be impressed by things like that it should be a given. Fifa has had the kind of stats we long for since like 1994! I cant understand how a stat-reliant game like cricket hasnt even touched on the basic elements included in the fifa series over the past 15 years. And I dont buy the whole "yeah but football is bigger than cricket" - so what? All it takes is a dedicated design team with a love for cricket...if you have people designing a game who are passionate about cricket they will KNOW what real cricket fans like myself want.

But is that what the majority of the customer base want in Ashes Cricket 09? I doubt it.

To clear up the Atari thing they publish Codemaster's games in Australia.
Interesting reading this thread, I know what Tom means about chinks of light and the inevitable disappointment. Developers should get basic things like where the keeper stands correct: I mean they try to get the ground exactly proportioned so we should at least be able to expect fielders in the correct places.
My biggest ray of hope for this game is the developers explicitly saying in the interview that test cricket is no longer just odi cricket in whites, they've got the Ashes license and tried to make a realistic experience. I also agree that stats should be an essential, they're a big part of cricket and seriously they're not that hard to code.
I guess the complexity and layers that make up cricket and make us love it so much are just harder to transfer to a video game. How do you allow for Fidel Edwards to bowl 5mph faster when Jimmy Anderson is facing? How do you make a team have zero enthusiam in the field? How do you program the psychological effect taking certain wickets has?
Playing for swing and bounce shouldn't just be about when you manage to press the button but we're probably asking too much to expect even half the intricacies of cricket to be transferrable to 0s and 1s.

Users who are viewing this thread