Ashes Cricket 2009 Screenshots

Ever heard of Sims ? Check out the Sims 3 and how they amazingly added specific personality traits into the game. Itz like almost real life. If they can do it, why not these cricket devs ? Im sure if they did make it into game programming, they'll be more than capable to add stuff like that into the game.

Well the point is that the Sims is all about personality traits and interactions between two players, whilst a cricket game is about, erm, cricket. You could equally say "Why is the cricket simulation in the Sims so poor, when I've seen cricket games that do it well?".

But is that what the majority of the customer base want in Ashes Cricket 09? I doubt it.

As long as they don't make another baseball game, I'll be happy.

To clear up the Atari thing they publish Codemaster's games in Australia.
Interesting reading this thread, I know what Tom means about chinks of light and the inevitable disappointment. Developers should get basic things like where the keeper stands correct: I mean they try to get the ground exactly proportioned so we should at least be able to expect fielders in the correct places.
My biggest ray of hope for this game is the developers explicitly saying in the interview that test cricket is no longer just odi cricket in whites, they've got the Ashes license and tried to make a realistic experience. I also agree that stats should be an essential, they're a big part of cricket and seriously they're not that hard to code.
I guess the complexity and layers that make up cricket and make us love it so much are just harder to transfer to a video game. How do you allow for Fidel Edwards to bowl 5mph faster when Jimmy Anderson is facing? How do you make a team have zero enthusiam in the field? How do you program the psychological effect taking certain wickets has?
Playing for swing and bounce shouldn't just be about when you manage to press the button but we're probably asking too much to expect even half the intricacies of cricket to be transferrable to 0s and 1s.

That's the problem. How do you translate a ball missing the bat vs the ball just skimming the bat in a computer game? Personally, if they came up with an updated and slightly more in depth BLIC '99, that'd do me.

Yeh, I know how statistics is put into a game, Kshitiz. That wasn't my point. It can be very time consuming, especially with a large array of statistics, like those found in cricket.

My problem with stats is not how many there are, but where they are! It would be so easy to put them up on screen automatically, but they always insist on hiding them away in a menu!

I'd love to have more in-depth stats for cricket games, but is it that practical for the developer to invest time and money into something which may only attract an extra few % of sales? If I went up to the average gamer thinking of buying the game, someone new to the series, what would they want?

Decent graphics. Pick up and play. On-line capabilities. Licensed teams/players.

They'd be on the list, would they be that interested to know that Jimmy Anderson has gone the most innings without getting a duck?

I like'd that last point :clap
Personally, i think that any average gamer would look at this and think "Yeh, looks like a decent cricket game, might be a nice change. Decent graphics, pick up and play, online matches, liscensed Ashes,"

And when they got back i think they'd be pleasantly surprised when the stats come up.. something along these lines :rolleyes:

"Well, quite a successfull end to my first over, knocked a couple of singles, edged but it didn't carry, oh, and whats this? Stats? Wow, i didn't know Jimmy Anderson had gone the most innings without a duck. This game truthfully makes me feel like i'm on T.V!"

I'd be pretty physced. :banana2

anyone have a clue as to when more screenshots will be released? I cant take the wait any longer!

go play ea cricket 2002, its probably the best game in terms of gameplay, its very fluid and relistc than brian lara:banana2:banana2:banana2

EA 2002 was better than the later games by EA and Codemasters but this game has a lot of potential. As per their claims AI for this game has been revamped considerably and they are taking pain to eradicate earlier bugs by starting from scratch. I think Codies are putting in the effort for this game and We can look forward to a decent enough title. Lets hope that happens

anyone have a clue as to when more screenshots will be released? I cant take the wait any longer!
Dude, i couldn't agree more. I've even gone so far as to put the Codemaster Ashes 09 homepage up to see daily if any new ones are released. Here's hoping!:cheers

Dude, i couldn't agree more. I've even gone so far as to put the Codemaster Ashes 09 homepage up to see daily if any new ones are released. Here's hoping!:cheers

I need some help to pass the time until release? any suggestions? anyone know where i can cryogenically freeze myself until July?

I need some help to pass the time until release? any suggestions? anyone know where i can cryogenically freeze myself until July?

Awesome idea =]. Ermm,, just to get yourself in the mood, try and get as involved with any cricket possible over the next couple of months, it's what i've been doing, you know, watching it, playin it etc etc.. or, if you really cannt wait that long, i suggest putting yourself into a deep sleep until mid July. ;)

Oh, and you are the first person to quote me! :D

Just to get really in the mood, do anything you can to assosciate yourself with cricket. That's what i've been doing, and it's been going well :cool:
However, failing that, overdose on sleeping pills? Thats all i got :p

Just to get really in the mood, do anything you can to assosciate yourself with cricket. That's what i've been doing, and it's been going well :cool:
However, failing that, overdose on sleeping pills? Thats all i got :p

haha well i think i will just wait instead of overdosing lol, I do want to be alive to see the game :)

But that was my point, it shouldn't be very time consuming. Moreover some classy looking stats do affect the overall wooness a product has to offer. Like the Hawkeye...

But we're debating a moot point here, something really unconcerned.

Stats....meh - who gives a crap.

Same as bats, kits and player likeness. Really, this all pales into nothing compared to overall gameplay.

Stats....meh - who gives a crap.

Same as bats, kits and player likeness. Really, this all pales into nothing compared to overall gameplay.
There is a limit to how far that goes. Stats would add something to the game, we don't just want gameplay.

There is a limit to how far that goes. Stats would add something to the game, we don't just want gameplay.

What does it add to the game exactly? Having them and not having them, makes no difference to how much fun you have. Most people DO just want gameplay - there is nothing out there thats offers such a thing - no viable alternative.

If you want stats go onto cricinfo or look at wisden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread