Ashes Cricket Queries

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Was finally able to get my hands on Ashes Cricket (PS4 version) and had a couple of basic questions regarding the game...

Q1. How do you simulate in Casual matches? E.g., in DBC 14 and 17 I could simulate AI's batting innings and could straight away get to chasing the target (simulated AI innings total). So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do so and would appreciate if someone can guide me how to do so as I tend to focus more on batting side of things and simulate bowling most of the time.

Q2. How do I make use of Gameplay Modifiers to customize batting difficulty? In DBC 17 you could select 'Custom' difficulty from the match setup screen but in Ashes Cricket you can only select default batting difficulty ('Easy', 'Medium', 'Hard', 'Hardest' etc.) so how exactly do I make use of modifiers? As an example some of the batting modfiers for 'Medium' difficulty are set to 50 but I want to bat with those modifiers set to 65. How would I do so coz as soon as I select 'Medium' as the batting difficulty level, the default gameplay modifiers for Medium (50 across the board) would be used and not 65 which i want to use.

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Was finally able to get my hands on Ashes Cricket (PS4 version) and had a couple of basic questions regarding the game...

Q1. How do you simulate in Casual matches? E.g., in DBC 14 and 17 I could simulate AI's batting innings and could straight away get to chasing the target (simulated AI innings total). So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do so and would appreciate if someone can guide me how to do so as I tend to focus more on batting side of things and simulate bowling most of the time.

Q2. How do I make use of Gameplay Modifiers to customize batting difficulty? In DBC 17 you could select 'Custom' difficulty from the match setup screen but in Ashes Cricket you can only select default batting difficulty ('Easy', 'Medium', 'Hard', 'Hardest' etc.) so how exactly do I make use of modifiers? As an example some of the batting modfiers for 'Medium' difficulty are set to 50 but I want to bat with those modifiers set to 65. How would I do so coz as soon as I select 'Medium' as the batting difficulty level, the default gameplay modifiers for Medium (50 across the board) would be used and not 65 which i want to use.

1. Menu -> Tactics -> Simulate
2. Modifiers can now be enabled in all difficulty levels. Menu -> Settings -> Gameplay Modifiers (you need to enable batting or bowling sliders from there and you can also override the difficulty level selected in the loading screen i.e. make Batting / Bowling difficulty as Easy, Medium etc.)

riteshagl

County Cricketer

Just like in dbc17, the batting modifier default values are incorrect. U will barely be able to touch the ball if you switch the modifiers on...even when you dont change the default values.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Just like in dbc17, the batting modifier default values are incorrect. U will barely be able to touch the ball if you switch the modifiers on...even when you dont change the default values.

I figured that out early on. In DBC 17 batting was nearly impossible as soon as batting related modifiers/sliders went over 65 so am using the same approach. I've kept the 'Hard' difficulty level and changed the batting modifiers to 60 for now with Ball Marker set to 28. Another thing that needs to be addressed as the modifiers don't match up to the default OOB difficulty levels.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Ball Marker set to 28.
Does that work for you? I can not for the life of me get that to work!!! Every time I "enable" sliders the batting becomes unplayable and I'm fairly certain it does nothing when I change the "ball marker" slider regardless, I'm assuming it just stays at the default pre-selected difficulty.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Does that work for you? I can not for the life of me get that to work!!! Every time I "enable" sliders the batting becomes unplayable and I'm fairly certain it does nothing when I change the "ball marker" slider regardless, I'm assuming it just stays at the default pre-selected difficulty.

Along with changing the ball marker, make sure you change the other batting sliders down. In DBC 17 the max batting modifier/slider value I could play on was 65 and I'm guessing it's the same with Ashes Cricket. Don't go by OOB reference values for 'Hard' and 'Hardest' where it shows batting modifier values set to 75 and 100. That's not correct at all. Change the batting modifier values to 60 and go from there to find your sweet spot.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Ok mate I'll try it out now, but just to double check... Is the "ball marker" slider actually adjusting for you?

Edit: aha clever cookie @cricket_online it works, ive adjusted the sliders from default to 60 and its actually doing what its meant to! How are you liking the game anyway?

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Ok mate I'll try it out now, but just to double check... Is the "ball marker" slider actually adjusting for you?

Edit: aha clever cookie @cricket_online it works, ive adjusted the sliders from default to 60 and its actually doing what its meant to! How are you liking the game anyway?

I found the gameplay modifiers not matching the default difficulty levels in DBC 17. I think @grkrama knows it as well and assumed it's the same case with Ashes Cricket. If I have to venture based on my gameplay experience, I would match the gameplay modifiers to default difficulty levels as follows...

Medium - Batting gameplay modifiers set to 50
Hard - Batting gameplay modifiers set to 60 (or late 50s)
Hardest - Batting gameplay modifiers set to 65 (or anywhere from early 60s to late 60s)

Overall the game has a lot of potential but there's still a lot of stuff holding it back such as poor AI fields which makes shorter formats a no-contest. Batting and some batting shots need to be tweaked a bit as well and then you have miscellaneous things like stats (HS score shown as NO, or unbeaten 100s/50s not recognised) and gameplay modifiers which i mentioned above. Once these things are cleaned up Ashes Cricket will be a classic.

Edit: I guess I will make a thread mentioning the mapping of gameplay modifiers to default difficulty levels as a short term fix so folks can enjoy the game more.

OmarSK

School Cricketer
Playing Ashes Cricket on PS4. How do you have dual screen for multiplayer? Its pretty difficult to play as a batsman when playing multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread