AMA Ask the Qpee

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I'm usually active in the Cricket Discussion part of the forums. Back in the day I used to write stories (I still have one ongoing) and I'm usually active in Drafts. My umpire thread has been pretty okay over the years, despite me not actually being an umpire. I'm a West Indian fan and live in Trinidad and Tobago. I've been a part of PlanetCricket since 2009, back when I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Over the years I've tended to become more cynical in the real world, not so much on here. But I'm me and I'll be me.

I have been published on CricInfo back in...2011, I believe. Yeah, it was 2011, when my granddad passed away.

Yes, I do refer to myself as Qpee.

Whatever you want to ask me, I'll answer.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- I'm not an umpire, no. I like to analyse the game. Cricket is so easy for those of us who know it, but the rules can be tough for others to understand. I have umpired village games, but nothing official. My real life job is so different from cricket.

- I enjoyed the league last year, but this year I don't think I'm able to have the time to dedicate to it. I have time...just not really the "time" if you understand that.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
- I enjoyed the league last year, but this year I don't think I'm able to have the time to dedicate to it. I have time...just not really the "time" if you understand that.
That's ok. Although, you don't have to be active. You can help us make up the numbers, if you feel like it.
- I'm not an umpire, no. I like to analyse the game. Cricket is so easy for those of us who know it, but the rules can be tough for others to understand. I have umpired village games, but nothing official. My real life job is so different from cricket.
That's surprising. Your knowledge of the Laws of cricket seems encyclopedic. Although i guess anyone can make their knowledge about anything look encyclopedic on an internet forum :p

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It is easy to make it look that way, yes. But unless I'm looking for specific references, whatever I post comes from my head. I'll admit that I'll look up things like averages and stuff. Matches that I haven't seen, I'll look up. The things I have seen and that I absolutely know, I'll never look up or reference.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The game Cricket 07 didn't come with real names for some teams. It was difficult for me to play the game with the fake names. This was when the forums were just an extra part of the site, they had a front page with stuff instead of just the forums. I had downloaded the real-life names patch, didn't think too much about it.

I got International Cricket Captain...III was it? I was a member of the Childish Things forums because I had a major issue with how the game chose the Man of the Match (I still do, just haven't ranted about it across there in years)...and I was doing a Middlesex story on their website. Someone from there had linked to here, and I realised I might be able to start my Bangladesh story on here.

I was never the best with graphics, so I really had to step up to try to compete with the members who had the fancy stuff.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
The game Cricket 07 didn't come with real names for some teams. It was difficult for me to play the game with the fake names. This was when the forums were just an extra part of the site, they had a front page with stuff instead of just the forums. I had downloaded the real-life names patch, didn't think too much about it.

I got International Cricket Captain...III was it? I was a member of the Childish Things forums because I had a major issue with how the game chose the Man of the Match (I still do, just haven't ranted about it across there in years)...and I was doing a Middlesex story on their website. Someone from there had linked to here, and I realised I might be able to start my Bangladesh story on here.
Really interesting one. I like it!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It was ICC 09 when I joined here. Had to leave my Middlesex team (Chris Silverwood and Tim Murtagh were absolute beasts, then I think it was Stuart Law, and a young Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan coming in the middle...Murali Kartik would spin the tail out...and there was this second XI guy named Steven Finn...) but by then I had started my Bangladesh playthrough in 09 and had to leave the III alone...

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Are you associated with any circket team? If yes then what is your role? And is it multiple teams or just one?

Totally on you to answer what comforts you with full independence.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Your knowledge of the Laws of cricket seems encyclopedic.

I did send an email to John Holder, one of the authors of the original book that I took the inspiration from. This would have been before I created the thread. Because he didn't reply, I kept it as "unofficial"...I think it might have been you @CerealKiller who changed the title to "official" for a day before I said no, I don't have the permission.

I use the official MCC Laws, the current playing conditions on the ICC website, and the Wisden Dictionary of Cricket to reply to the queries. Most things I've already read and know about. Sometimes I need to check.

If I ever get an email from Holder or his representatives, I have no issues with asking a mod to close the thread.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
-Have you always resided in Trinidad from birth or did you move to the island after?

-Not sure if you came across my posting but any advice for a newbie like myself on how to be a respected member, and hopefully achieve a high pedigree on planet cricket someday?

-Whats your favorite meal?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- Born here, lived here all my life. Been to the USA on vacation, but I was too young to really recall much of that. In recent years I've been to Barbados once and England three times, work/study-related, all for about a week each time.

- I wouldn't consider myself a "respected member", but I seem to be generally well-liked at least...so I'll answer by saying what works for me...

I try to add something to any discussion I may be a part of. Reactions are what the "Like" button is for. There's nothing wrong with posting that I agree or that I like something, but as much as possible, I treat it as if I'm talking with friends in the real world. A conversation will naturally die out if everyone just keeps nodding and not actually saying much. This of course won't apply to things like signups or votes.

There are a lot of members here where English isn't their first language, so when I'm typing a post, I think to myself whether people will understand what my point is. Can they understand what I'm getting at? The better spelling and grammar I have, the easier it is for me to get my point across.

Before I post, I take a minute to read over what I've just written. Considering any potential responses it might get. Am I saying something potentially controversial where a warning might be warranted first? Am I making a joke that might be interpreted the wrong way? Does it violate any of the Rules of the site? Those aren't just a sticky, it's a PermaLink above every page. That's how important they are.

Not everyone will have the same opinion. I'll disagree with people. People will disagree with me. I can't just go off on a rant just like that or react angrily if they do. I try to understand their point, and put myself in their shoes. My reply to them will be coming from their point-of-view and trying to get more information on why they think what they think.

But at the end of the day, I'm just myself. Nobody else on here is 100% like me, and I don't want to be 100% like anyone else.

- There's something called macaroni pie in Trinidad...it's basically almost like what the Americans call macaroni and cheese. Love that with some peas/beans and chicken.

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
Profile Flag
England
Where in England did you visit?:wave

What English foods did you try?:spy

Was it raining when you were here?:D

Users who are viewing this thread