Australia choosing more youth players

Should Australia concentrate on youth?

• Total voters
Phil Hughes will change this tradition of not picking youth within the next three years imo.

The only scare for the Aussies would be all the greats retiring in a clump, similar to WI of the 80s. I'll just hope that happens sooner rather then later so we get a new permanent number 1! :)

We still have lots of reserves playing well in Australian State Cricket. Your concern was our batsman? Young batsman include opener Mark Cosgrove from South Australia who has already played ODI Cricket for Australia. There is Tim Paine a Tasmanian opener who last season was one of the competitions best batsman, Adam Voges who is only in his mid twenties and is already in line for an Australian call up after finally being taken notice of. Also, there is WA batsman-keeper Luke Ronchi who toured Pakistan just recently who is a great prospect, he is an opener in OD Cricket and can smash hundreds in no time - like Gilchrist. So I don't think we should be to alarmed, sure, we have a lot of fringe batsman who are above the age of 28 but thats not bad considering some of the talent I have just named, and every year it seems a new face bobs up for a State Team and does well. Bowler wise, I think we are set for the next 3-4-5 years anyways with Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Brett Dorey, Dan Cullen, Cullen Baily and others.

Ouch, what was I thinking? :what

My call on Paine was right, as was Voges it seems. Ronchi has fallen a bit but hopefully comes good.

Our spinners haven't developed very nice either...

I like reading these old posts, that seems so long ago.

Is it just me or was I a better poster a few years ago ;)

Some good predictions in there, although most of them weren't obscure. Good pick on Hughes for julian87.

Unfortunately since October 2007 we've had too many players retire in such a short period of time. Instead of being able to ease the young guys through, we've found ourselves with a completely different bowling attack forced to all work their way through test cricket at the same time. I'm confident that the young guys can develop into fantastic cricketers, but we need to work on guys like Ponting, Katich, Hussey (if we don't drop him) retiring at different times to ensure the young guys aren't thrown into the deep end too quickly.

Josh Hazlewood will make it big....

Now let's see how this goes in two years time.

He'll need more then two years. I saw him bowl earlier this year and he wasn't that special. His pace was around 125-130 with the odd ball around 132-133. In saying that he's only 18 and he's bound to put on some extra pace.

He'll need more then two years. I saw him bowl earlier this year and he wasn't that special. His pace was around 125-130 with the odd ball around 132-133. In saying that he's only 18 and he's bound to put on some extra pace.

He wants to be a Mcgrath type bowler.

I know someone keeps saying he bowls in the 140s, probably just made it up. He has been built up by the media already which usually means they will be in the National colours soon enough.

I'm sure I threw up some names in a similar thread somewhere. Anyway I'll throw up some names.

Khawaja looks to be a great talent. He scored back to back double 100s in grade cricket and went pretty well in FC.

Cooper should be in the ODI side and if SA ever give him a fair go in FC he could be in the Test side soon enough.

Doropoulos has the technique and intimidation factor, just needs the temperment to take his game to the next level.

McKay, since mid way through last season he has come along very nicely. Keeps it tight and uses his height well. Continued to pick up wickets when Victoria needed them in all forms.

More handy pacemen from NSW: Mitchell Starc tall, fast left arm bowler. Josh Lalor swing bowler.

James Pattinson is the most promising of the Victorian quicks after Siddle and McKay, made a solid debut. John Hasting showed his potential last season with 16 wickets at 19. Just needs to work on his batting a bit more.

What about Peter George, I've heard good things about him.

Yea hes performed well so far, from reports his pace is below the 130s which might stop him getting to the next level. Although the speed guns at domestic level seem a bit off as Henriques was always in the high 120s but during the IPL he was mid 130s. I hope one of them can get through, as I really would like to see a tall fast paceman in our side like India and SA have with Sharma and Morkel.

Users who are viewing this thread