23 Oct 2nd ODI Port Elizabeth
28 Oct 3rd ODI Durban (D/N)

1-4 Nov v South Africa A Potchefstroom

9-12 Nov 1st Test Cape Town
17-21 Nov 2nd Test Johannesburg

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A long way away still given they have a hard tour of SRI before this. But this is what i hope AUS test XI would be like come these two tests (very disappointed as expect most would be that 3 tests aren't going to be played anymore):

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Bollinger

Backups: Khawaja/Cosgrove/Ferguson, Paine, Krejza, Copeland/Starc.

Of course i could be a way off (although i dont expect to many different selections to what i have here) based on what happens during the SRI tests, but eagerly looking forward to those tests anyway.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's one of those annoying tours where it's hard to be whingey about the schedule because it's jammed in there tight enough as it is. It's actually a bonus; this series falls only two and a half years after the last tour.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Very annoying that they cut it down to a 2 Test match series because of obligations to have 3 ODI, 2 T20s.

Robelinda

International Coach
Id shove Clarke down to 5, maybe Katich at 4. NO way should Clarke remain at 4 given his monumental struggles up the order.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Id shove Clarke down to 5, maybe Katich at 4. NO way should Clarke remain at 4 given his monumental struggles up the order.

Hmm fair point uncle Rob.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'd dump Hughes and pick Marsh, Hughes has wasted enough chances.

Has he really?.

After he was drop for tactical reasons during the 2009 Ashes & the Watson/Katman partnership took over, Hughes only got a chance luckily in the recent Ashes & yes he exposed. But to be fair to him he recovered well @ the end of the AUS domestic season & i dont mind him & Watson opening in Sri Lanka.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Apart from his first 2 tests, when South Africa had no idea where to bowl to him, Hughes has been worked out and has scored only 1 half century (in an easy chase) in 15 innings...it is not good enough...and Marsh has done more than enough to show he is more deserving.

It is about picking your best team, and Hughes is simply not good enough to be in it.

Robelinda

International Coach
Big fan of Marsh here, but his FC numbers are pretty ordinary. Much better at the shorter forms of the game, after 8 or 9 seasons of FC cricket he doesnt even average 40 for WA, THAT is not good enough.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
To be fair, Marsh has great numbers in the period for which Hughes has been playing for NSW.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He averages 52.15 in the last four seasons, which includes a terrible 2008/2009 season.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
What's not in his favour is a dearth of hundreds, partly owing that he's not an out-and-out opener and partly because he's missed a lot of 4 day games.

And to be honest, Hughes looked to be well past his struggles in the 3rd innings of the Shield final. A lot of his failings are on the selectors anyway.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
His numbers certainly are solid for the last 4 seasons, with 3 where he is averaging close to 60. His conversion rate is the main problem in those numbers, similar to White in a way and his lack of games really brings him down.

It's hard to know if Hughes has turned the corner until he gets back to the top level.

Users who are viewing this thread