Australia regain Number One Ranking

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Australia have regained top spot in the ICC Test Championship table after their 3-1 defeat of the West Indies. They'll be the last side to hold the number one spot under the current system, as a new system is being introduced in June.

I

imported_graham

i never knew india were dat bad, i thought they were at least better than england!! i mean i reckon england sucks although they r prob pretty good

I

imported_graham

yeah i reckon the kiwis are pretty good espeically agianst damien martyn! hehe

D

Duncan

kiwis r good against martyn??

martyn can now hook and pull and drive...he doesn't need 2 go square all the time now :lol:

N

nash007

What is the new format for the championship? I hope its better than this one. India beat Pommies at home and drew away. Yet they are higher.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
India's position in the championship suffers because of their refusal to play Pakistan, who England have beaten away and drawn at home. Plus India have largely been rubbish away from home for the past 10 years.

As for the new format, the ICC aren't saying anything until June (I think), but they have said it will take into account individual matches, rather than just series.

N

nash007

Ya, India have been rubbish as Boycott would say. But I am not entirely convinced with the system. I think there should also be a similar point system in One Dayers. The number of odis played by a country should be fixed and points should be awarded according to the performances. These points should be added as a bonus to the teams in the next world cup. This way every game will become important. and we will have a good way of comparing teams in one dayers.
This should be done becoz there is little use of experimenting in test cricket, which is less popular than one dayers. The future of cricket lies in odi's. Thats where the money is :D

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The money may be in the ODIs, but test cricket is cricket in it's purest form, and in my opinion, far superior. I find test matches a lot more interesting. There tends to be more periods of the game where one teams on top, then the other and so on.

There is a ranking system for ODIs but it's probably easier to understand aincent Greek than the points system for that.

I've actually been working on another rankings system myself that takes into account ALL international matches. (Tests, ODIs, tour matches, ICC trophy matches and more) there'll be one based on the last 10 years, and one based on this year..... and there's some surprises in some of the individual years too! I'll be setting up a website with it on soon.

Users who are viewing this thread