Wed Mar 12 (20 ovs)
16:00 GMT | 18:00 local
2nd T20I - South Africa v Australia
Kingsmead, Durban
Fri Mar 14 (20 ovs)
16:00 GMT | 18:00 local
3rd T20I - South Africa v Australia
SuperSport Park, Centurion Australia Test Squad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/content/series/648635.html

Michael Clarke (c) Brad Haddin Jackson Bird Alex Doolan James Faulkner Ryan Harris Mitchell Johnson Nathan Lyon Shaun Marsh James Pattinson Chris Rogers Peter Siddle Steven Smith David Warner Shane Watson

scratch978

Club Captain
Looking forward to this series.
Both have top bowling attack. I will support for South Africa..

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Finally the thread has been made. S Marsh being picked is illogical & risky - the selectors have taken an all-mighty instinct selection, that he will come good.

If the selectors think Bailey's technique can't handle Steyn - i'm struggling to see what about Marsh's technique makes them think he could.

Bailey of course was picked on ODI form, which clearly wasn't ideal - but he deserved it based on the poor form of many of the young batsmen in state cricket. Not everyone has a great 1st series & he deserved the S Africa series to redeem himself.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Only 3 tests? That's not fair. Would have loved to see at least a 4 match series.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Only 3 tests? That's not fair. Would have loved to see at least a 4 match series.

I'll take that over the 2 test series we had last time.

If the selectors think Bailey's technique can't handle Steyn - i'm struggling to see what about Marsh's technique makes them think he could.

Bailey of course was picked on ODI form, which clearly wasn't ideal - but he deserved it based on the poor form of many of the young batsmen in state cricket. Not everyone has a great 1st series & he deserved the S Africa series to redeem himself.

I'd rather keep Bailey if I had known Marsh would get picked. There is no merit in his selection at all, Bailey at least showed something in ODI cricket to suggest he could make it.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
No Bailey in test side? O.o Well Aussie has plenty of confidence now with the 5-0 victory over England. I wish to seem them playing well in SA against SA. :cheers

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^ I would hold off making a bold prediction this early. But a safe prediction would be to assume evenly contested matches.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Finally the thread has been made. S Marsh being picked is illogical & risky - the selectors have taken an all-mighty instinct selection, that he will come good.

Well I'm the opposite to you :D

Seems like Marsh is one of those guys where if he's: A) fit, and B) hitting the ball well, he's going to get picked. It's been that way for ODI squads since 2008, so it might as well happen for Tests too...

While Marsh is obviously a gut feel by the selectors, I think he's better equipped technically than Bailey. Agree that Bailey deserved a shot originally, agree that the competition was weak for spots. But I can't say it's much different this time. I mean they've picked Alex Doolan who is averaging 39 this Shield season and has done nothing in white ball cricket. It's Doolan's selection that should be questioned in my view. He's a hot and cold cricketer, and he hasn't been hot for 12 months. I'd have taken Hughes and Marsh. Bailey had his shot. Otherwise, there's not a lot of others who've been making good runs, especially across multiple formats. Cameron White? Chris Lynn?

Was interested that Marsh's innings of 44 from the 2011 tour of SA was referenced by Inverarity. At the time it was overshadowed by Clarke's insanely brilliant 151, but that innings showed Marsh could survive against Steyn etc. I remember him still being in trouble a few times, but it was Clarke then daylight, then Marsh then daylight for Aussies in that innings.

Also must be noted...Phil Hughes wasn't picked when SA toured Aus. Rob Quiney got the run instead. Suggestions were that Hughes was being sheltered. Perhaps this is happening again? Seems odd to me, if the selectors really believe he can't score runs vs SA in particular.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

Since they wanted an all rounder hard to complain as no other option.

Yea, but i'd say Henriques is not test standard based on his previous exploits in India last year. Mitchell Marsh would have been a better option.

----------

Well I'm the opposite to you :D

Seems like Marsh is one of those guys where if he's: A) fit, and B) hitting the ball well, he's going to get picked. It's been that way for ODI squads since 2008, so it might as well happen for Tests too...

While Marsh is obviously a gut feel by the selectors, I think he's better equipped technically than Bailey. Agree that Bailey deserved a shot originally, agree that the competition was weak for spots. But I can't say it's much different this time. I mean they've picked Alex Doolan who is averaging 39 this Shield season and has done nothing in white ball cricket. It's Doolan's selection that should be questioned in my view. He's a hot and cold cricketer, and he hasn't been hot for 12 months. I'd have taken Hughes and Marsh. Bailey had his shot. Otherwise, there's not a lot of others who've been making good runs, especially across multiple formats. Cameron White? Chris Lynn?

Was interested that Marsh's innings of 44 from the 2011 tour of SA was referenced by Inverarity. At the time it was overshadowed by Clarke's insanely brilliant 151, but that innings showed Marsh could survive against Steyn etc. I remember him still being in trouble a few times, but it was Clarke then daylight, then Marsh then daylight for Aussies in that innings.

Also must be noted...Phil Hughes wasn't picked when SA toured Aus. Rob Quiney got the run instead. Suggestions were that Hughes was being sheltered. Perhaps this is happening again? Seems odd to me, if the selectors really believe he can't score runs vs SA in particular.

Don't really disagree, i also a fan of Marsh & AUS needs its young brigade of Marsh, Hughes, Doolan, Ferguson, Khawaja, Lynn to eventually come of age. The fact that Bailey & Rogers have been picked ahead of them was a indictment on them.

But if Marsh does play & fail - their bold selection on non FC form, of him, will look very daft.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Australia in South Africa 2013-14 : Ryan McLaren, Wayne Parnell in for Australia Tests; Imran Tahir dropped | Cricket News | South Africa v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

If anything is going to help AUS upset S Africa, is going to be the team S Africa selects. And their continued shadow quota policy of picking coloured/black players such a Klienvelt/Parnell/Tsokelile ahead of better white players such of Abbot/Viljeon & De Kock - could help AUS, especially if either of them plays in the final XI.

Even argue Bueran Hendricks or Craig Alexander are better coloured bowlers than Klienvelt & Parnell. Parnell is a limited overs player.

Last edited:

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Even argue Bueran Hendricks or Craig Alexander are better coloured bowlers than Klienvelt & Parnell. Parnell is a limited overs player.

Totally agree with this. I have heard a lot about Beuran Hendricks recently and his record is very impressive in the FC games as well. Parnell is just picked because he can bat a bit and also adds a bit of variety to the South African bowling attack.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yea, but i'd say Henriques is not test standard based on his previous exploits in India last year. Mitchell Marsh would have been a better option.

For me it showed he has what it takes, the two 50s on debut displayed that. Consistency has always been his problem but we didn't get a good sample size to judge him, he basically had 3 innings after the back to back 50s with the other innings being a run out. Unlike the other youngsters he didn't display any noticeable technical flaw.

Mitch Marsh will get there just no point throwing him in yet plus Henriques isn't going to get a game so no point having Marsh carrying the drinks when he can get more FC experience.

Users who are viewing this thread