Australian Domestic Cricket

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Favourites for the Sheffield Shield?
The QLD Bulls as title holders would have to start favorites. With runners up Tasmanian Tigers second favored. The South Aussies always aquit themselves well as they are strong with bat and ball. Flame haired Lloyd Pope has been selected by the Redbacks. Big wraps on this kid.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Live stream about to start the new season of red ball cricket for this tragic.

There is usually something in these early season decks for the quicks. The autumn wet may juice em up even further.

I wanna see blokes batting time and putting up their names for July's Ashes.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Why doesnt CA every think outside the box? With an Ashes this year why not use the Duke ball at the start of the Shield season as well. There are always some green decks this time of the year. Combine this with the moving Duke and that is a challenge for even the best techniques.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Six teenagers could be in action for their states today with Shield debuts. All five potential debutants featured in the Australia U19 side that reached the final of this year's U19 World Cup in New Zealand. The most exciting imho is Blues right hander Jason Sangha. Much has been written about this kid since he burst onto the scene while still at school. He scored a century at 16 years of age in an U19 overseas match and was the youngest batsman since the "little master" Sachin Tendulkar to post a ton against a visiting English touring side. The other babies are Max Wright, Nathan McSweeney (Bulls), plus Redbacks leggie Loyd Pope and Blues rookie all rounder Jack Edwards. He must not bat anywhere above #7 in my view as there is work to be done on his technique.

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Why doesnt CA every think outside the box? With an Ashes this year why not use the Duke ball at the start of the Shield season as well. There are always some green decks this time of the year. Combine this with the moving Duke and that is a challenge for even the best techniques.
I think that is actually a really good idea. If we use a Duke ball and ask the curators to prepare slightly greener, softer pitches than surely we will be better off for the Ashes.

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Australian cricket in my opinion has a very bright future.
So many youngsters who i think will have a huge future for Australia.

BigHussey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
West Indies

It'd be good to see the Duke ball swing in Australia . Unfortunately, CA probably has a big money deal with Kookaburra and money talks along with Kookaburra being manufactured locally. The bigger issue for Shield Cricket are the dead flat pitches across the nation :( .

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Ashley Chandrasinghe is very good.

In other, more PC-oriented news, though, I'm going to be putting together my opinion on an all-time 18-man squad for each of the eight Big Bash franchises. I can't find a more appropriate thread, so I'll chuck them here. One important caveat - players can only be selected to one franchise's team, so no Shaun Marsh for both the Renegades and Strikers.

Without further ado, the Adelaide Strikers team is:
1. :aus: :wkb: Alex Carey. Carey's inclusion was never even doubtful, as his resume by far outshines the other wicketkeepers to have played meaningful games for Adelaide (Tim Ludeman and Harry Nielsen). His most noteworthy knock was 101 against the Heat in 2021, a day after being released by Delhi in the IPL. He has one other BBL hundred, and overall averages 35 at a strike rate of 128, impressive stats that have him in Australia's T20 lineup.
2. :aus: :bat: Jake Weatherald. Maxy Klinger would have been Carey's partner if he wasn't a shoe-in for the Scorchers, so instead Weatherald is the easy pick here. Not helped by a couple of recent tough years, the man from Darwin averages 26 at 129, but let's not forget he was only behind D'Arcy Short and Carey for top runscorer in BBL|07, including his single most important innings of his career - 115 in the final to take down Hobart and win the tournament for Adelaide.
3. :aus: :bat: :c: Travis Head. The fact that Head averages under 30 with Adelaide may be shocking. But he's the Adelaide Striker - he was a fresh-faced 18-year-old during the first BBL season, and since then has been the Strikers' captain and an Australian player in all three formats. Head only has one century in blue, but it's the most famous knock in Strikers' history - the 101* on the very first New Years' Eve game that ensured it would be a yearly tradition. Also a useful sixth bowler, given how the lineup will turn out.
4. :aus: :bat: Brad Hodge. Choosing whether Hodgey, now a Seven colour commentator, would play for the Stars or the Strikers here was tough. With both, he averaged 42. His Strikers' strike rate was worse, but he fills a bigger need for Adelaide than Melbourne, so he's in this lineup. Dependable to not lose his wicket at the death - he was not out in 30% of his Adelaide innings - he also provides veteran experience, being exactly 19 years older than Head to the day.
5. :saf: :bat: Colin Ingram. Ingram doesn't quite have the reverence in Adelaide of their most famous import, but the South African tank was quietly effective back in his seasons in SA. Quietly is maybe the wrong word - Ingram averaged 30, but at a strike rate of 140, making him an invaluable death weapon. Ingram hit two notable fifties in BBL|07 - 66 to beat the Hurricanes, and 68 off 36 to annihilate the Gades. His BBL high score, though, was 75 the next year against the Thunder.
6. :aus: :bat: Jono Wells. Wells is likely not to always bat six - he can go as high as four in times of trouble, or bat lower down if late hitting is needed. What he is is the engine room - a high-averaging player who deals with spin effectively and is very consistent (so much, in fact, that he's the #1 player I've wanted the Heat to sign for multiple years now). His strike rate is just 124, but a) that's not a big deal when he averages 38, and b) he's still capable of a long ball - as Ben Dwarshuis found out.
7. :aus: :ar: Michael Neser. Neser's got solid value with both bat and ball. While he's now on the Heat, he's still most remembered as a Striker. Averaging 14 with a 116 strike rate, he's likely to slot below Rashid Khan sometimes, but his biggest value is with the ball, where he's got 62 wickets - third-most all-time for Adelaide.
8. :afg: :ar: Rashid Khan. And here's one of the two above him. Rashid, assuming he's healthy this year, is a lock to surpass 100 wickets, becoming (Correct me if I'm wrong) the first international to do so in BBL history. He led the league in wickets (18) in his first year, and just never slowed down. Averages just 12 with the bat, but at a team-high SR of 155. You could accuse him of statpadding during his finest BBL performance, 6/17 against the Brisbane Combined Cricket Clubs last season, but really it was incredible bowling.
9. :aus: :bwl: Wes Agar. This spot was hard to pick, and some of the contenders for it will find themselves on the bench, but I ended up going with Agar, who has the most total production of all of the options. The brother of one-time 98* Ashton Agar, Wes is a big quick who bowls near-150 pace (which, given the remainder of the Strikers' quicks, is important to have). Agar's two four-wicket hauls came in very different situations - one was to ruin any chance the Heat had after Carey's second century, the other held off the Hurricanes in a BBL|10 thriller.
10. :aus: :bwl: Peter Siddle. Siddle's reinvented himself in recent years. Once a Test stalwart by bowling line and length (notably taking a hat-trick on his birthday), he was T20 chum whenever he played for the Renegades. But he added slower balls after he moved to Adelaide, which turned him from an ineffective bowler to a great death option. He's even captained the Strikers a few times. He loves Tasmania - while he now is in the Tasmanian Cricket structure in first-class, he's taken both his five-wicket hauls in the BBL against Hobart.
11. :aus: :bwl: Ben Laughlin. Adelaide actually have two great death options - Siddle's been excellent for them, but Laughlin is simply one of the best death bowlers in BBL history. He's played for three franchises, but Adelaide was his longest home - 60 of his 115 wickets came there. His best bowling figures came in BBL|01 with the Hurricanes, but he also had four wickets against the Thunder in the first match of BBL|07.

Bench:
:aus: :bat: Nathan Reardon - a slightly worse Ingram from the early years of Adelaide. Also, another following the QLD to Strikers pipeline, as did Neser and Stanlake.
:aus: :bat: Tom Kelly - broke out last year as a finisher. There's not a ton of great Strikers options for the lower order, so Kelly gets a gig.
:aus: :wkb: Tim Ludeman - A backup keeper's always nice, and Ludeman's actually one of the statistically better batters left for Adelaide. One of several discarded just before the title, though.
:aus: :ar: Matt Short - Short's done well in a utility role for Adelaide the last few years. He covers several bases - backup opener, backup for Wells, and a solid sixth bowling option if conditions call for one.
:aus: :bwl: Shaun Tait - the Wild Thing may have replaced Agar if he spent his whole career with the Strikers. The fiery quick split his wickets between Adelaide and Hobart across the first few BBL seasons.
:aus: :bwl: Billy Stanlake - a cult hero, Stanlake was similar to Tait in that he was usually expensive but got wickets. Possibly the worst batsman in BBL history - his runout against the Thunder a few years ago a particular highlight.
:nzf: :bwl: Ish Sodhi - the backup leggie and third import (Strikers imports, aside from Ingram and Phil Salt who's a harsh miss, have been terrible apart from their leggies) was a close run thing between Adil Rashid (BBL|06) and Ish Sodhi (a Rashid replacement in, I think, BBL|08). Rashid was excellent for Adelaide, but Ish's nuts 6/11 gets him in.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@ddrap14 Chandrasinghe seems like the next top prospect indeed. Hope he doesn’t fizzle out or stagnate like Sangha did for a while.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Time to bring the Heat!

1. :aus: :bat: Luke Pomersbach. It's a shame that Pomersbach had to step away from the game for mental health reasons, as he was a fan favourite in the early years. His all-time highlight would be the 112 he scored in the BBL|02 semi-final, but he was reliable overall, averaging 32 with a S/R of 134.
2. :nzf: :wkb: Brendon McCullum. McCullum is the most famous Heat international, and definitely the best with the blade, half a season of Tom Banton a few years back notwithstanding. Averaging 28 at almost 140, there's a reason he was considered a Bash Bro - and he came with more consistency than the other. No tons, but nine fifties, his best a 72 in a match where both he and Chris Lynn fired.
3. :aus: :bat: Chris Lynn. As much as I hate BBL09-11 Chris Lynn, there's no denying that he's the best player in Heat history. His average is a fairly normal 35, but it comes at a strike rate of 150. Lynn fails a lot, but when he doesn't, he's spectacular - 24% of his Heat innings were fifties, and one special one was a ton - we still lost that match though.
4. :aus: :bat: Matthew Renshaw. Renners was another to struggle in BBL11 - not on the Heat though - but he played a key role for three years of 'middle order glue'. He had four fifties in that time; the best of those was a 90* off 50 to take down his former team in a rare display of power (that said, as evidenced by his S/R of 130, he does keep it ticking over).
5. :aus: :bat: Alex Ross. Ross actually has an average of nearly 30 in teal. That surprised me; while I definitely love the Sweepologist, I thought he was a bit worse than that. He's the best player of spin in the top five by a very long way, which is important. Ross' best innings in the BBL was 64 against his old team, Adelaide, to set up a close win. That said, his most famous Heat moment will always be the worst in a long line of bad umpire decisions in the BBL.
6. :aus: :ar: Dan Christian. It may surprise you that Dan Christian, noted BBL champion with the Gades and Sixers, has played more games for the Heat, and scored more runs and taken more wickets, than with any other club. In fact, he was a key part of the BBL|02 title team - he's won a ring with every organisation he's been in, except Hobart. The Heat have missed his extra bowling and tactical nous since he left.
7. :aus: :ar: Ben Cutting. Cutting left the club in acrimonious circumstances - making some nasty comments about how the organisation was run, and joining fierce enemies the Thunder - but was one of two foundation Heat players before that (the other being Lynn). Cuttsy was a fan favourite for his lusty hitting even if his bowling lost effectiveness as he went. He'll forever be remembered for one truly incredible innings to cap off a tough BBL|08 for the Heat - chasing 160 against the Stars, Cutting hammered 81 off 30 and the target was reached off exactly ten overs.
8. :aus: :bwl: Josh Lalor. One of two Indigenous players in the XI (Christian), Lalor is a big left-arm seam bowler who was known in Brisbane for making the ball move, bowling early overs, and taking hat-tricks without realising. It was part of an outstanding BBL|08 for him, as he took 20 wickets, including both that hat-trick and a five-for against the Sixers later in the tournament.
9. :aus: :bwl: Mark Steketee. Mark 'Spaghetti' as he is often called by the commentators is now the Heat's longest-tenured player. He's also been a cause for much ire, as he's rarely economical, but he does take regular wickets - a good BBL|12 will see him reach 100. His best performance helped the Heat home in a four-wicket win over Sydney in BBL|10 - dismissing Sixers captain Dan Hughes, and three more batsmen at the death.
10. :afg: :bwl: Mujeeb ur Rahman. While us Heat fans know that Matt Kuhnemann is probably ready for a full-time role, and getting Colin Munro was great, it's hard to not be sad at losing Mujeeb. He's an outstanding finger spinner who always looked like the best bowler in the team - rarely was he not economical. His best bowling, 5/15, was in an utterly insane game when the Heat should have sent the Canes to a super over until a bat bounce cost Steketee a run on the final ball of the inning. With that said, his wild knock to salvage respectability in the first game of BBL|08 is probably my favourite of him.
11. :aus: :bwl: Mitch Swepson. Simply my favourite Heat player of all time. As a fellow leggie who played club for Sandgate-Redcliffe, Swepson was basically the guy I wanted to be when I grew up. While I couldn't land the ball on the pitch and have since retired to writing, Swepson has 53 BBL wickets, including a career-best 3/14 to get the Heat past the Stars in BBL|06.

Bench:
:aus: :bat: Joe Burns - a close call with Renshaw for that final batting spot. In addition to being a rare solid middle order bat, Burns pioneered the strategy of 'part time spin taking early wickets'.
:eng: :wkb: Tom Banton - this may shock, but Tom Banton's results in seven Heat games were much, much better (avg 31, S/R 178) than AB's (avg 24, S/R 140). Not to mention light years ahead of Max Bryant.
:aus: :wkb: James Peirson - the current captain's batting standing has improved a lot in recent years. Just under no circumstances should he open. Ever. Please.
:aus: :ar: James Bazley - in the last two years, his hard work has paid off, as he's been the Heat's man in crunch time, and fared much better than anyone not named Dan Christian.
:aus: :ar: Jack Wildermuth - The Mooth is a solid lower order hitter and good third pace option. Not someone to rely on as a certainty in either, but he does a job.
:aus: :bwl: Xavier Bartlett - one of the BBL's best new ball bowlers, and a surprisingly good hitter; I could see him taking the place of Lalor in the main team soon
:aus: :bwl: Cam Gannon - it came down to our two domestic quicks in the early years for the last spot. Ali McDermott was great, but Gannon has a bowling average of 18, and that wins him that race.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Hobart are up next! The home, apparently, of the WKB.

1. :aus: :wkb: Matt Wade. The opening pair for Hobart is probably obvious. Wade's played for both Melbourne franchises too, but his best time by far has come in Hobart. Averaging 36 at 150, Wade's biggest knock was monumental - 130 not out against Adelaide on Australia Day 2020. Somehow, they nearly lost that game.
2. :aus: :ar: D'Arcy Short. Maybe the best player in BBL in the late 2010s, Short was a run machine, and it still a really good opener despite some mixed form in recent years. Short averages 40 at 134 with the Cane Train, and has two tons - 122* to wreck the Heat in the Field Obstruction Game (which the Heat may well have won if not for that), and 103* against the Scorchers in 2020.
3. :aus: :wkb: Ben McDermott. McDermott is somewhat underrated, at least until last BBL. Averaging 38 at 140, McDermott has converted three of his 13 fifties into hundreds, with three further scores in the 90s. McDermott's biggest hundred was against the Renegades at Docklands last season, scoring 127 off 65, but undoubtedly his most famous BBL moment was this innings in a SUCCESSFUL chase of 224.
4. :eng: :bat: Owais Shah. The English international was huge for Hobart in the early years. In 22 games, he averaged 36 at 127. His high score was 69, but he was always good for a forty.
5. :aus: :bat: George Bailey. Mr Hurricane, Bailey was incredibly consistent from his return home in BBL|02 until his retirement almost a decade later. Bailey never got close to a ton - mainly because he usually batted four or five - but he averaged 35 at a rate of 135 through orthodox strokemaking. That said, he had 11 fifties, including a top score of 74* against his old team (Stars) in BBL|06.
6. :aus: :bat: Tim David. Simply couldn't not include the big slugger. Across David's 29 games, he's averaged 28 at a strike rate of nearly 160, and very few in world cricket can do that. The former HKO international has one BBL fifty - a match-winning (as it turned out) 58 in the opener for BBL|10.
7. :eng: :ar: Jofra Archer. In his time with the Cane Train, Archer was actually a really effective slugger at the death, allowing me to put him here with Dan Christian (whose most notable BBL moment was with Hobart) and James Faulker ineligible. His main value is with the ball, where he has 34 BBL wickets at an average of 23 and a speed of light. Never took more than three but always scared the daylights out of other batsmen.
8. :aus: :bwl: Cameron Boyce. Boyce really is eight here solely because of his batting exploits with the Renegades. But he's here because of his bowling with Hobart - 43 wickets is the most for any Hobart spinner, including three other internationals. His best bowling was 3/11 against the Stars in BBL|04 - although that said he had a five-for last year with the Gades.
9. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Ellis. Ellis moved to Hobart to get a chance at state level. Turned out to be the best decision of his life, as his arrival as a top-tier death bowler coincided with an opening for one with James Faulkner declining. 43 wickets in the last three seasons, with a best of 4/34 in a game against the Scorchers that, due to COVID bubbles, was in Docklands of all places, have resulted.
10. :aus: :bwl: Scott Boland. Famed for his 6/7, Boland's been a quietly effective quick, first for the Stars (who, while he technically has more wickets for, he wasn't going to start for, so I moved him here), and now the Hurricanes. The Barrel has one four-wicket haul (although it was expensive), but has done well in tough situations for Hobart - usually bowling his four in the Powerplay and the death.
11. :aus: :bwl: Riley Meredith. Opposing batsmen probably wouldn't enjoy facing Archer and Meredith early in their innings. Big Riley's suffered some injury trouble early in his career, but at his best, he's destructive, as 4/22 against the Stars in BBL|09 attests.

Bench:
:aus: :bat: Travis Birt - a favourite of mine when I was younger, Birt was a slugger in the David mould before his time. He also often opened.
:aus: :wkb: Ben Dunk - A BBL MVP on the bench? Dunk's been squeezed out by the new opening pair. He got notably worse after he left Hobart, a downward spiral leading to termination last year with the Stars.
:aus: :wkb: Tim Paine - a Canes captain only misses out thanks to the rise of David.
:aus: :ar: Tom Rogers - the history teacher's bat hasn't showed up well in the BBL, but he's quietly been really effective in the Powerplay for the last two years.
:aus: :ar: Clive Rose - fearsome_tweak_it.jpg.exe
:aus: :bwl: Ben Hilfenhaus - the former bricklayer wasn't ever the most effective with Hobart with the ball, but his BBL moment was hitting 10 off 2 to shock the Heat in BBL|03, a match which unfortunately appears lost to time.
:afg: :bwl: Qais Ahmad - the fight for backup spinner was between two internationals, Qais and Sandeep. The Nepalese bowler has more wickets, but Sandeep has more per game at a better average.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
The next team is the Renegades, who are one of the less successful franchises in history. Expect a few more random names here.

1. :aus: :bat: Aaron Finch. One guy definitely not a random name is the BBL's second-best all-time runscorer. Finch has played all 87 of his games for the Gades, and scored at an average of 35 and a strike rate of 135. That would be even higher if not for a truly awful BBL|11. His two BBL centuries are 111* in a BBL|02 Melbourne derby and 109 against the Sixers in 2020. In an unusual quirk, Finch has actually DNB'd once.
2. :aus: :wkb: Sam Harper. The young wicketkeeper-batsman is known most for his inventiveness, but is actually the best keeper in Gades' history, and that includes multiple Aussie internationals. His average is only 23, but at a strike rate of 132, he gets electric starts.
3. :aus: :bat: Cam White. White's played meaningful cricket for both the Stars and Renegades, but he draws into the Renegades' team. Averaging 35 at 120, the Bear's provided useful stability behind a pair of hitters in this team. His high score is 79*.
4. :aus: :bat: Ben Rohrer. The Postman is actually a medical professional by trade, but he's got his nickname by always delivering in the clutch for both the Thunder and Gades. Averaging 31 at 135 in red, his finest hour was 57 in a thumping win over the Sixers in BBL|02, as captain with Aaron Finch out internationally.
5. :wi: :ar: Dwayne Bravo. The first in a run of all-rounders here, DJ was a long-time Renegade who provided value with bat and ball. With the bat, he was a lower order hitter who averaged 30 at a strike rate of 140. He had 33 wickets at 24 with the ball, too. That included his best BBL performance, 5/28 against the Hurricanes in BBL|06.
6. :aus: :ar: Beau Webster. The Slug's been quietly effective with Melbourne. His bowling has rarely been threatening, but also rarely been taken down - an economy of just 7 is great for a sixth bowler. Additionally, he's averaged 31 at 126, providing some lusty blows down the order.
7. :afg: :ar: Mohammad Nabi. The Afghani spin-bowling all-rounder was a key cog in their title-winning side. Providing lower order stability (23 at 125) and 28 wickets throughout his five years in red, he was a fan favourite too.
8. :aus: :ar: Andrew McDonald. It's weird to put in a guy who only played BBL|01, but truth be told, very few others play the role McDonald needs to here. His late order hitting and steady medium pace will definitely be a useful contingency for this XI. He also went on to coach the Renegades, so there's a connection.
9. :aus: :bwl: Kane Richardson. The all-time top wicket taker for the Renegades (it's not even close), KR has 80 wickets since joining Melbourne for BBL|06 from the Strikers. He's spent a lot of time with the Aussie T20 team, quite understandably so. He doesn't actually have a BBL five-for, though; his best is 4/22.
10. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Rimmington. The other Sandgate-Redcliffe bowler I remember watching, Rimmington plays a similar role to Richardson in that he can bowl early and at the death. He's still the third-best wicket-taker in Renegades history; the others are KR and Cam Boyce, who's ineligible. His best bowling was 4/26 in a losing effort against the Sixers in BBL|02.
11. :sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralitharan. The offspinner is the best bowler in Test history, but also provided high quality BBL offspin for two seasons in BBL|02 and BBL|03. 19 wickets at 18 with an economy of 5.5 is insane. His best was 3/18.

Bench:
:aus: :bat: Tom Beaton - Beaton only played two seasons with Melbourne, which surprises me given how well he hit at the death in those years.
:aus: :bat: Tom Cooper - pioneered the strategy of opening the bowling with a rubbish spinner, also provided some runs
:aus: :bat: Marcus Harris - his stats are actually awful, but a third opener is necessary
:aus: :ar: Aaron O'Brien - a decent bowling all-rounder with his left-arm spin
:aus: :ar: Jack Prestwidge - they needed an all-rounder and Prestwidge was the best of a VERY mediocre bunch
:aus: :bwl: Peter Hatzoglou - the mystery man was highly effective in BBL|10 for Melbourne, before jumping ship and going to Perth
:aus: :bwl: Zak Evans - unironically the best pace bowler other than Richardson or Rimmington by stats. Also bowls 150

Users who are viewing this thread