Australian keepers battle

Who should be Australia's number 2 keeper - Pick one for each format

• Total voters

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm bored, and haven't created a thread in ages so here's another one from Gazza 'Thread-starter' T.

Tim Paine eyes potential Test debut | Cricket News | England v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Looks like Tim Paine has been called up to replace Brad Haddin in the ODI squad to play England and puts Haddin in doubt for the coming test series against Pakistan. Paine looks to be the selectors number 2 man. This means that Manou has slipped from the test keeping pecking order. Paine also has a local contract, while Manou lost his from 2009.

As a Victorian supporter I'm bound to object to this. Surely Matthew Wade has to be higher in the national first class/test pecking order than Tim Paine? Wade has been the stand-out keeper/batsman over the past few seasons, amongst the highest run scorers and highest in dismissals. He's also four years younger than Paine. The number of innings he's played over the last few years to get us out of trouble can't be counted on two hands..... so I can't tell you the number :p This includes a top class 96 in the final, coming in when we where in danger of losing the game :eek: He's also been fairly consistent in the shorter formats.

Chris Hartley was the player of the tournament this year. For those who don't know he's the Queensland keeper. Made something like 750 runs and took a pile of catches to help Qld into the final.

So is Paine the right choice?

Also curious to see how much overseas cricket supporters have heard about guys like Wade, Hartley, Paine, Ronchi, etc.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I said it last year, I said it two years ago, I said it three years ago and I'm saying it again - Ronchi is a useless hack.

I think Wade is a little more reliable than Paine. I'd pick Wade over him in the test side.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Paine in Haddin Ass :D
Anyways Australia can always borrow Kamran Akmal from us :p

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Paine in Haddin Ass :D
Anyways Australia can always borrow Kamran Akmal from us :p

No need to borrow, take him.

I havent seen Wade, but Paine looked good in the few ODIs that he did play. I think Aussies selectors dont really experiment to much and probably wont bring in a new face like Wade. They might wait for Paine to fail before going to Wade.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Well, I suppose I'm been a bit biased like Gaz was. But Timmy Paine for sure. He hasn't done anything wrong and was actually really bad a few seasons back but now he's definately the second best. He so far has been consistent so I reckon the selectors will just go with him until he fails a few times.

This thread needs a poll Gaz!

Mad Snake

International Coach
I said it last year, I said it two years ago, I said it three years ago and I'm saying it again - Ronchi is a useless hack.

I think Wade is a little more reliable than Paine. I'd pick Wade over him in the test side.

Haha remember my ronchi rant thread :laugh

angryangy

ICC Chairman
In Tests, no, I don't think you can pick Paine and declare he's the best on offer.

As a batsman, he does have a double century to his name, but he hasn't scored another hundred in first class cricket since that match, early in the 06/07 season. In fact, he hasn't played much first class cricket at all in the last couple of years, partly due to injury, but also to some degree of pigeon-holing. Paine obviously has talent with the bat, but is also a serious underachiever.

As a keeper, it's not that Paine is bad, but for many years, Hartley has been put forth as the best gloveman in the country. Plus, to bolster the above point, Hartley actually has a better first class batting record than Paine.

I do agree that Wade is in another class entirely when it comes to batting. That 96 in the final was epic, he was meticulous in keeping his wicket and yet the power of his shots suggested maybe he didn't need to be. We saw in that 19 ball 49* last year that he really does have a shot for each corner of the MCG. His keeping is pretty good, but he was probably out of his depth on the dodgy Delhi wicket for the CLT20. Not that you can learn about that without playing on it, but that's the pitfall for Wade, for everything he is or could be, he isn't very experienced.

However, if you have a young player whose greatest flaw is that he hasn't toured enough, well, there's only one way to rectify that.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
So now it's jsut down to a two man race IMO. Manou, Hartley etc. are gone.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
So now it's jsut down to a two man race IMO. Manou, Hartley etc. are gone.

Not sure I agree. I think they're picking Wade just for experience.

I'm only guessing of course, but I think if the selectors had to pick an emergency keeper for say the deciding Ashes Test, I think it's between Paine and Hartley. Wade is a guy they'll want in a couple-few more years.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hartley has gone well but its hard to see him being our long term keeper at 28. Paine is a solid batsmen, he use to be able to get into the side on his batting alone but for some reason hes never really carried on after his double hundred. Wade looks to be the one for the future in all formats but the lack of International experience put Paine in front imo.

Users who are viewing this thread