[u]Test Match Series - Border/Gavaskar Trophy?[/U]
October 2-6 First Test - Mohali
October 10-14 Second Test - Bangalore

[U]ODI Series[/U]
October 19 First ODI - Kochi
October 22 Second ODI - Goa
October 24 Third ODI - Vishakapatnam

BCCI requests Australia for Tests

In its quest to maintain India's No.1 Test ranking the BCCI has sent a proposal to Cricket Australia to convert the seven-match ODI series in October to two Tests and three ODIs. India had climbed to the top spot in 2009, after drubbing Sri Lanka 2-0 at home, and then retained the ranking by fighting back to level the two-Test series against South Africa in February.

"We've got an open mind on it but it's being discussed and that could be the road down which we will go," a CA spokesman told the Australian on Tuesday.

This is not the first time the Indian board has intervened to change the original itinerary of a proposed tour. Earlier this year Cricket South Africa had agreed to a compressed tour of two Tests and three ODIs, replacing the original five-match ODI series. India's change of mind came in the wake of ascending to the No.1 Test ranking for the first time, and they were eager to preserve it.

According to the ICC's Future Tours Programme, India were scheduled to play only a handful of Tests in 2010, an aberration the BCCI is desperate to correct. So far this year, India have played four Tests but are lined up to play three in Sri Lanka in July, and then another three at home against New Zealand at the end of the year.

BCCI requests Australia for Tests

Whoop de whoop. I'd prefer it if we hosted India first, but ah well. Should be good prep for the Ashes, seeing as we haven't played any good teams since the last Ashes.

Last edited:

Gurjot95

National Board President
Even though India-Australia series is getting overkilled but on the other hand, good to see BCCI taking steps to challenge India No. 1 Test position. But 2 test series is ridiculous :facepalm.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's probably a scheduling thing Friend. If they could fit 3 tests and 3-5 ODI's im sure they would.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Well, atleast 2 tests should be played!
2 tests, 3 ODI's & one or two T20is can do the Job.:yes

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
We need to encourage more for test matches. Test Series should not get killed anyhow. So according to me, they should keep 3 to 4 tests and 1 T20. No need of ODIs there. :sarcasm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
2 tests is always better than a meaningless 7-ODI series. I support it. But it would definitely be superb if they can squeeze in a 3 test series followed by 3 ODI's.

Wish they have matches at good venues like Kolkata or Bangalore or Chennai or Mumbai.

P

pcfan123

Yea, did they not learn from the SA series? 2 tests leaves everyone wanting more!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
But if this happens it will be an interesting series.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
2 tests is always better than a meaningless 7-ODI series. I support it. But it would definitely be superb if they can squeeze in a 3 test series followed by 3 ODI's.

Wish they have matches at good venues like Kolkata or Bangalore or Chennai or Mumbai.

Sai, knowing the BCCI they`ll schedule it at Nagpur and Mohali/Delhi where you`ll get 100 people watching the match.

I have a problem with this 2 test series thing which India suddenly have started to think about. Firstly, India and Australia compete for the Border-Gavaskar trophy which has changed hands quite a few times. We`ve had a few really hard fought series to decide whether either side wins the trophy back. Now, with a 2 match series, you could potentially have a side, Australia in this case, regaining the BG trophy with a 1-0 win in a 2 match series which would be unfair in a sense to India who won it 2-0 over the course of 4 games.

Secondly, as Mark said, a two test series really shows nothing. Teams traditionally only warm up to the contest with the first test. You only end up wanting more games at the end of it, if the series ends 1-0 or 1-1.

aditya123 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I`d rather have the ODIs scrapped and 3 tests being fit in instead of it.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I have a problem with this 2 test series thing which India suddenly have started to think about. Firstly, India and Australia compete for the Border-Gavaskar trophy which has changed hands quite a few times. We`ve had a few really hard fought series to decide whether either side wins the trophy back. Now, with a 2 match series, you could potentially have a side, Australia in this case, regaining the BG trophy with a 1-0 win in a 2 match series which would be unfair in a sense to India who won it 2-0 over the course of 4 games.

I`d rather have the ODIs scrapped and 3 tests being fit in instead of it.

I have a problem with it too and it's from an Australian perspective. We aren't preparing for a series in India - we are preparing for the Ashes. And I'm sorry to insult our Indian brethren but I think Australia would rather win back the Ashes than beat India in a Test series.

But more importantly India is pulling all the strings here and it's an OBVIOUS attempt at keeping their #1 ranking. While they are at it, I'm guessing they'll probably schedule the games at the lowest and slowest pitches they can conjure to maximise their chances there too. And if they play the schedule right, they can probably get Australia there only playing 1 warmup game - maybe even NONE. Does anyone else see this as unfair and wrong? It seems like daylight robbery to me - all the factors are in India's favour in a rushed reschedule job like this, all in the name of prolonging their reign on top of the rankings.

Now having said that, I love watching Australia-India Test cricket. But I feel that series like these - made for the wrong reasons, are not what should be appearing in the schedule. I personally hope that Cricket Australia says no to the proposed Tests and I hope the ICC stresses to the BCCI that they just can't play god with the schedule based on their current ranking.

Robelinda

International Coach
Agree with the above. I was thinking it would be a good idea to send a 2nd XI anyway to India and let the test guys spend a month playing Shield cricket, no point at all in getting spun out in India and coming home with little preparation to face England. England are being much wiser this time around and getting to Aus much earlier, if we come back from India from a thrashing it just wont be good. A repeat of 86/87 would not be good. That was THE worst Ashes series ive ever seen, we were horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread