Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
:O :O :O

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/299279.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
Australia's Boxing Day and New Year's Tests under threat

Cricinfo staff

June 22, 2007

The future of Australia's Boxing Day and New Year's Tests in Melbourne and Sydney cannot be guaranteed beyond 2008, according to a report due to be presented to the ICC next week.

Eight of the 10 Test-playing nations, including Australia, share the same southern hemisphere summer, and countries are becoming increasingly unhappy at Australia's monopoly of the season.

"We've got a traditional season that we've been operating for a long while, and we're keen to keep working with other nations to do that," Peter Young, Cricket Australia's media manager told The Australian.

:crying:crying:crying

NO!!!!!! They can't do that to the G'!
They won't get as many people if it isn't on Boxing Day. Grr! :mad

I don't know how big SA boxing day test is but I know Australia's one is massive to both players and fans. Would be really sad to lose our Boxing day test but I can understand where SA are coming from.

Why can't we play them before December? Then play another team on Boxing day?

Last time we played New Zealand, we played them before December. So they still had The Boxing day test. We could do the same with South Africa!

We could have 2 series. And get someone like Sri Lanka to come over. Or the West Indies. Or Pakistan, or India. They're all good teams.

It's a fair point, but lets not forget the MCG is four times the size of Kingsmead.

this is ridiculous! they are touring our county and should have to follow our tour schedule.... we have to do it when we go over to south africa... you dont get rid of one of the gretest australian traditions because the other team said so

if it happens i will miss having a beer or 20 watching the cricketafter christmas

this is ridiculous! they are touring our county and should have to follow our tour schedule.... we have to do it when we go over to south africa...
I think the point is that Australia gets those games every year. I may have misread the article, though. And the fact that a tour of Australia is so bloody long means that the perfect home season for the touring country (more times than not) gets completely used up.

I think the point is that Australia gets those games every year. I may have misread the article, though. And the fact that a tour of Australia is so bloody long means that the perfect home season for the touring country (more times than not) gets completely used up.
It is not that long, the West Indies came for 3 tests two years ago, and then left without an ODI being played. Teams can simply come over for a month or two, play some tests then leave, and we'll get New Zealand to cover for them or someone else like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh who want to play in Australia to get some good ODI practice.

If South Africa don't want to play on Boxing Day then they don't have to, and someone else will. I can guarantee you that Bangladesh would jump at the chance in a second, and many others would too.

It is ridiculous that a touring team would not abide to the other side's schedule, and Boxing Day is huge for Australia. There is no point in cancelling it because one team won't play on it. Just swap them with NZ, and let them play then!

The point is that South Africa would like to host Australia in their own summer, instead of autumn, when Australia tend to be able to turn up. That is not a case of Australia bending to their schedule.

It is not that long, the West Indies came for 3 tests two years ago, and then left without an ODI being played. Teams can simply come over for a month or two, play some tests then leave, and we'll get New Zealand to cover for them or someone else like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh who want to play in Australia to get some good ODI practice.
Of course, but when you have bigger or more popular teams tour, I doubt CA would settle for anything but a full series, especially if the alternative is to host Zimbabwe or Bangladesh. How come Australia don't invite Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to play during these traditional tests?

If South Africa don't want to play on Boxing Day then they don't have to, and someone else will. I can guarantee you that Bangladesh would jump at the chance in a second, and many others would too.
Many would, but Cricket Australia wouldn't consider Bangladesh an exactly profitable replacement to South Africa, would they? Besides, the argument is that Australia get to have their home series in their best season every year whereas the team that has to tour them will lose out on this opportunity.

Of course, but when you have bigger or more popular teams tour, I doubt CA would settle for anything but a full series, especially if the alternative is to host Zimbabwe or Bangladesh. How come Australia don't invite Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to play during these traditional tests?

Many would, but Cricket Australia wouldn't consider Bangladesh an exactly profitable replacement to South Africa, would they? Besides, the argument is that Australia get to have their home series in their best season every year whereas the team that has to tour them will lose out on this opportunity.
Good old Sohum, always the voice of reason, but what I'm saying is that it's arrogant to refuse to play during the home side's preferred season, when there are plenty who would, not just Bangladesh or Zimbabwe!

Good old Sohum, always the voice of reason, but what I'm saying is that it's arrogant to refuse to play during the home side's preferred season, when there are plenty who would, not just Bangladesh or Zimbabwe!
But that is precisely what Australia are doing for most of the other countries! If South Africa or India someone else were to call Australia for a tour in their winter, Australia would refuse because that would collide with their preferred season.

this is ridiculous! they are touring our county and should have to follow our tour schedule.... we have to do it when we go over to south africa... you dont get rid of one of the gretest australian traditions because the other team said so

Ah, but on the other hand couldn't you say, you shouldn't keep the Australian traditions because they said so?

Awh, It'd be a massive shame if these went. They're my only chance of ingorning that relative that you only see once a year because he smells like urine and you hate him.

Users who are viewing this thread