Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

its a tough one. i remmber the sydney test. i thought it would of been a draw but the aussies got it done right at the end. i think aussies will be happy with a 300 lead. To chase down 300 on a final day in india is hard. Can India do it? Well they need Shewag and Gambhir to fire, they are two crucial players because if they get in, they both can do damage, however if they fall early, i do not know what will happen with the so call "fab four". They may deliver or fail big time. It should be an intresting day, could be a great day, but if i was given a draw right now for india. I would take it.

Wasn't Hayden unfairly given out twice?

(I haven't actually watch the game)

I think India are scared of Australia.

I can already sense some sort of fear from the Indian fans on this forum towards the Australian posters and there is no doubt that the Australian supporters have a distinct superiority over the Indian posters; me especially.

You are an idoit

WORLD CHAMPIONS added 1 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Yeah what were you talking about?

Australia 1st innings :rolleyes:
ML Hayden c Dhoni b Khan 0

Australia 2nd innings :rolleyes:

ML Hayden lbw b Khan 13

SO Danger lol

See the decisisons first, that made it look like this. Hayden is really a dangereous fellow. Just remember WC 2003 final ;)

WORLD CHAMPIONS added 4 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Yes.

1st Innings - Caught behind ( ball was miles away from the bat)

2nd Innings - LBW ( Missing leg stump by miles)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah what were you talking about?

Australia 1st innings :rolleyes:
ML Hayden c Dhoni b Khan 0

Australia 2nd innings :rolleyes:

ML Hayden lbw b Khan 13

SO Danger lol

I said "if" he got going. I'm sure you can understand what "if" means. And he wasn't even out in the first innings so I'm not sure why you put that there. If he gets a chance to get going during this tour he'll beat up on your bowling like he always has.

First innings was fairly obvious however it was not so obvious in the second innings. In real time it would have looked like Hayden was out for sure. The swing Zaheer was getting was a little exaggerated but it still would have been difficult to predict that it would miss leg stump.

So the big question...how much lead will Aussie want before declaring?

I love karma.

I'm sure Hayden does too.
wink.gif

imo. Will be a draw, unless we ( the aussies ) can pile on a few runs early on, and declare with a decent target. Then be attacking, and hopefully get the indians out before the end of the day, and win the match :)

michael clarke seems to be a more aggresive spinner then white, and he even gets wickets :P

I have not come across who you are saying mentioned that Australians do not walk but Indians definately don't either. If only we had competant umpires, this wouldn't be nearly such an issue - but I suppose I am asking for too much. What ever happened to conservative umpires; we need those back - umpiring was simpler back then (and we're only talking 5-10 years ago here).

I can't remember exactly who it was, but Michael Clarke did the exact same thing that Tendulkar and Sehwag did in the first innings back in one of the Australia tests. It got its own articles in Australian news papers.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with umpires from 5 - 10 years ago, weren't those the days where the home team got to have home umpires?

I remember a quote from Harbajahn's hatrick which made me laugh, "Resident umpire Mr. Venkat referred to the even more resident 3rd umpire"
This was in reference to the Warne dismissal

rickyp added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

michael clarke seems to be a more aggresive spinner then white, and he even gets wickets :P

Michael Clarke is a very smart cricketer, White looks much better than when I last saw him however he has plenty of work to do.

So the big question...how much lead will Aussie want before declaring?

Around 325 of 78 overs would be good enough target for me. Make it something the Indians think they can get and make them play shots, not just shut down. That means Australia would need to bat for 10 overs this morning and score 62 runs, with 5 wickets in hand that should be doable.

Plan B: target of 315 off 75 overs - we'd need to score 52 runs off 13 overs to set that one.

Around 325 of 78 overs would be good enough target for me. Make it something the Indians think they can get and make them play shots, not just shut down. That means Australia would need to bat for 10 overs this morning and score 62 runs, with 5 wickets in hand that should be doable.

Plan B: target of 315 off 75 overs - we'd need to score 52 runs off 13 overs to set that one.

Trust me - you would be better served if you make the Indians think that they cant chase the target down, and make them play for a draw. Thats when they are the most vulnerable. If the likes of Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman think that they can chase down the score, they will play much much better. Sehwag plays only one game and thats aggressive. If I were Ponting, I would declare at a lead of 350+ with 70 odd overs to go (which means Australia should score 90 odd runs in 20 overs).

Ps - Great work from Kumble and the Indians to waste time , I wonder if its still playing in the spirit of the game.
That's hot coming from a supporter of a team whose captain likes bowling at 12 overs an hour. If the Australians run out of time, they can only point their fingers at themselves. Even yesterday, before Brett Lee bowled the second over of the day, Ponting and Lee stopped play and conversed for about 2 minutes. Surely that discussion could have occurred before they came on?

sohummisra added 7 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

The thing that really annoyed me, was the way Harbajhan was running down the wicket when ponting got no bat on it.
You've only got to look at your own team for similar behavior. Brett Lee regularly charges down the wicket in a celebratory fashion during his "appeal", for LBW's no less.

Don't even get me started on Sehwag and Tendulkar not walking from their edges.
Obviously, they were banking on the chance that the ball may have hit the ground right after it hit the bat. As it is, that wasn't the case and the umpires got it right.

Trust me - you would be better served if you make the Indians think that they cant chase the target down, and make them play for a draw. Thats when they are the most vulnerable. If the likes of Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman think that they can chase down the score, they will play much much better. Sehwag plays only one game and thats aggressive. If I were Ponting, I would declare at a lead of 350+ with 70 odd overs to go (which means Australia should score 90 odd runs in 20 overs).

The comparison being made in some articles is to the Sydney Test last summer where we set India 333 in 71 overs and that was on a pitch where the scoring was much easier. For comparison:

India scored at 3.85 in their 1st innings in Sydney and had large partnerships where they scored around 4 and 4.5 runs per over (Tendulkar with both Ganguly and Harbhajan).

This Test India barely cracked 3 runs per over in the first innings and their best scoring partnership was Harbhajan and Zaheer Khan at only 3.64 per over.

The other factor of importance was that Australia was up 1-0 before Sydney and should have been playing more conservatively - they had no Warne last summer either, Brad Hogg was the spinner. This time they need a win to put themselves in the box seat for the rest of the series, so I think they should give themselves as much time as possible without giving India an easy target. Hence my targets...

Users who are viewing this thread