Australia's tour of United Arab Emirates v Pakistan - October 2014

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bailey steps down as captain of the T20. Could well see another case where a player isn't in the side goes straight to being captain as Smith is the one being groomed as captain. All the other options look stop gap measures.

Yea fair call on Bailey, especially if he wants to try and revive his test career. I always felt the AUS selectors could have given him an extra chance in those S Africa tests, instead of dropping him so quickly are the Ashes.

Squads picked some interesting choices - Pakistan v Australia 2014-15 : O'Keefe named in Australia's Test squad | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

- O'Keefe gets his long overdue pick. Would have liked to see him in all the squads.

- Not 100% sold on Maxwell as the test cricketer, certainly can't see a scenario where he could play in the UAE tests

- Admittedly i haven't seen this Abbott bloke play, but is playing that well to be picked over known all-rounders like Henriques & Christian

- Interesting choice as Finch to skipper the T20 team. Might have chosen Watson or Smith - but it could work.

- Boyce over Murihead?

- I'm guessing Harris & Pattinson are still injured

- I know the selectors still see Haddin as an important part of the ODI team heading into the W-Cup, but it might have been slightly better to give the back-up keeper like a Wade/Paine/Whiteman a look in that format at least. Haddin won't be keeper at 2016 T20 W-cup.

- I like the potential idea off Watson & Marsh playing in the same team for these test, AUS could basically have 6 bowlers - which would be super ideal in those conditions.

Rogers, Warner, Watson, Clarke, Smith, M Marsh, Haddin, O'Keefe, Johnson, Siddle, Lyon

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Another test for the Australian side, this time on spinning conditions.
The Australian squads have been announced :- http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-australia-2014/content/story/778929.html

Test squad David Warner, Chris Rogers, Alex Doolan, Michael Clarke (capt), Steven Smith, Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Brad Haddin, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Mitchell Johnson, Steve O'Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon.

ODI squad David Warner, Aaron Finch, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey, Steven Smith, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Haddin, James Faulkner, Sean Abbott, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon.

T20 squad Aaron Finch (capt), David Warner, Shane Watson, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Steven Smith, Brad Haddin, James Faulkner, Sean Abbott, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Kane Richardson, Cameron Boyce.

Finally the best spinner in Australian domestic cricket gets a call-up and it will be interesting to see who are the two spinners Australia going to start, if they do start two. All the progress made by this side will be judged on this particular tour.

Pakistan on the other hand, are coming off an embarrassing tour of Sri Lanka, where they lost both the test and ODI series.

2 Tests, 3 ODIs and 1 T20 has been scheduled in what is shaping up to be an exhilarating series.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Abbott being picked more in the bowling all rounder mould like Faulkner. He won't be any higher than 7 and most likely in a bowling spot. He had a great season but I didn't see him getting picked this season, kinda of get the feeling Waugh had a big say in it.
Must have lost faith in Murihead a bit like Agar.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I guess Cricket AUS wasted time employing Murali, caused with Ajmal banned - their is no mystery player to face ha...

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Fire Him Already :D

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Fixtures
05 Oct Twenty20 International Dubai (Night)

07 Oct First ODI Sharjah (D/N)
10 Oct Second ODI Dubai (D/N)
12 Oct Third ODI Abu Dhabi (D/N)

15-18 Oct vs Pakistan A Sharjah

22-26 Oct First Test Dubai
30 Oct 03 Nov Second Test Abu Dhabi

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Looks like Mitch Marsh is set to make his Test debut because of Shane Watson's calf injury that will force him to miss the entire UAE tour. Marsh has been in excellent form recently so hopefully the confidence he has gained can remain throughout the test series. Marsh should slot straight into Watson's batting position at number 6.

The selectors were smart in selecting Ben Hilfenhaus as Watson's replacement for the Test series. The option of selecting a genuine swing bowler is not a bad thing to have. Hilfenhaus has been a very consistent wicket taker throughout his Test career so he will be ready to go if he gets the nod to player in any of the two Test matches. He only needs to take one more wicket to achieve 100 Test wickets.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Look forward to seeing how he goes, his confidence will be sky high. Watson reverse swing bowling would have been useful in these conditions so that will be another thing to see what Marsh can do on these dry decks. Doolan would be the big winner, no question he will keep his spot now if there was any before this.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Look forward to seeing how he goes, his confidence will be sky high. Watson reverse swing bowling would have been useful in these conditions so that will be another thing to see what Marsh can do on these dry decks. Doolan would be the big winner, no question he will keep his spot now if there was any before this.

You reckon? I was sorta thinking presuming Clarke is fit, Hughes would be the one to play given his recent A-team form: Rogers, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Smith, Marsh, Haddin...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
You reckon? I was sorta thinking presuming Clarke is fit, Hughes would be the one to play given his recent A-team form: Rogers, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Smith, Marsh, Haddin...

Selectors picked Doolan for a reason and I can't see them dropping him after 3 games.

Users who are viewing this thread