Batting in career mode is a serious issue

The right key on the pad before the bowler bowls shows the confidence of both the batsman and the bowler. Are you sure the keys are working on your pad?

----------

Batting is getting easier the more I play. I usually cut out all the shots on off side, especially the drive, till I'm set and plays mostly on the on side from fine leg to wide long on on front foot without any trigger buttons.

Thanks for the response, however i am positive the right keypad is working.

is there something i am missing here maybe something i need to activate?

thanks

You're welcome.

No, I don't think you need to activate anything for that. I'm sorry, not sure what's up with your gamepad :(

Struggling to pick the line and length of fast bowlers... I find the reaction time very less... Can anyone help me out? Thanks...

P.S. Foot work is not a problem for me as i mostly go on backfoot for fast bowlers...

Struggling to pick the line and length of fast bowlers... I find the reaction time very less... Can anyone help me out? Thanks...

P.S. Foot work is not a problem for me as i mostly go on backfoot for fast bowlers...
Same Problem here. It's like we should decide what shot to play just before the ball is released.
Reaction time even for binny and bopara is really short. Spinners are a tad easier than fast and medium pacers. I have hit panesar for 15 of 1.4 overs with advance down the track shot for 2 fours and a six. But fast bowlers i have lost 90% wickets and a strike rate of 20.

Same Problem here. It's like we should decide what shot to play just before the ball is released.
Reaction time even for binny and bopara is really short. Spinners are a tad easier than fast and medium pacers. I have hit panesar for 15 of 1.4 overs with advance down the track shot for 2 fours and a six. But fast bowlers i have lost 90% wickets and a strike rate of 20.

I know you don't want to hear this but practice ALOT!

The thing I have noticed is that (and I include myself) people have been well and truly spoiled by cricket games in the past, where you could slog 100 runs in 8 to 10 overs. Cricket games have never been particularly challenging in the past, until now.

Starting an innings in 4 or 5 day matches is a slow affair. Batsmen are unsettled and will miss the ball more easily, and will edge or hit up in the air much more often. I play myself in just as I would in real life. There are xp bonuses for defending 3 times in an over so it is more or less expected that you do so. Score runs (initially) slowly to build up confidence, and punish the bad balls.

When I get out, it's usually when I get impatient and try to up the run rate before my batsman is ready. Remember that at the start of your career, he has ZERO skills whatsoever. Bat to stay in rather than to score quickly. 2 or 3 runs an over is a very real likelihood unless you find the rope.

I finally grabbed the PS3 version yesterday when I heard Patch 2 was out. (Yes, I waited for it because I didn't want the game to 'change' on me suddenly before I had time to get used to it).

Jumped straight in for a quick 5 over game Somerset v Kent and got hammered.

Practice needed, so I hit the nets against a medium fast Pro machine and after 30 minutes of practice had a streak score of 113 against it.

Now feeling like a real Pro, I set the game up again.

Bowled first. Got slogged a few times on my fast balls, but seemed to do better with the spinner in my second over, then held them to 34 runs at the end of 5 overs. Looked do-able. ;)

First over I lost two batsmen to catches, but scored a couple of fours and was feeling confident. Next over, Finger Spinner lined up against me. Never practised against a spinner...

Guess who couldn't hit the ball? :D Finished all out on 4.5 overs with 22 runs and lost again.

Back to the nets I go today...

Nets is easier than matches, theres no pressure and you don't have to take batsman/bowler confidence or even pitch condition into account. You have scored 117 against the machine so I think that is as good as it needs to be. Instead of net practice, do the practice matches instead. They are far more realistic.

Also if need be, take the cheap route and save during matches every over or two.

Last edited:
Nets is easier than matches, theres no pressure and you don't have to take batsman/bowler confidence or even pitch condition into account. You have scored 117 against the machine so I think that is as good as it needs to be. Instead of net practice, do the practice matches instead. They are far more realistic.

Also if need be, take the cheap route and save during matches every over or two.

The biggest difference is that there are no fielders in the nets to catch you. You lose most of the wkts by being caught out and that mode of dismissal is not there in the nets. You can cream shots all you want in nets but if it gets you caught in the matches, it's not going to help much. Best way to practice batting is to play a bunch of casual matches (usually odis or Tests) so you can bat for a long time to get used to the AI bowling and fielding.

The thing I have noticed is that (and I include myself) people have been well and truly spoiled by cricket games in the past, where you could slog 100 runs in 8 to 10 overs. Cricket games have never been particularly challenging in the past, until now.

Starting an innings in 4 or 5 day matches is a slow affair. Batsmen are unsettled and will miss the ball more easily, and will edge or hit up in the air much more often. I play myself in just as I would in real life. There are xp bonuses for defending 3 times in an over so it is more or less expected that you do so. Score runs (initially) slowly to build up confidence, and punish the bad balls.

When I get out, it's usually when I get impatient and try to up the run rate before my batsman is ready. Remember that at the start of your career, he has ZERO skills whatsoever. Bat to stay in rather than to score quickly. 2 or 3 runs an over is a very real likelihood unless you find the rope.
I concur; batting is more realistic and complex than in any cricket game before. It's good to finally have a challenging batting system. After all, the game is named after Sir Donald Bradman. However, there is also a down side to this: The casuals or rookies may find it extremely difficult to adapt, even if it is on the lowest difficulty. I wanted to invite my friends over to play some, just to relive our PS2 memories with cricket games, but I doubt they'd manage well, considering that I, with a few days of gameplay, am struggling quite a bit.

There are xp bonuses for defending 3 times in an over so it is more or less expected that you do so.

Are there really? I haven't tried it out and it will be a while before I play it again, so could someone confirm this? I guess it might be 5 XP?

XP doesn't impact your skill points though.

I have to premeditate every scoring shots. When ever I play a shot against fast bowlers after watching the ball's line, it results in very late played shot and mostly i got out.

Are there really? I haven't tried it out and it will be a while before I play it again, so could someone confirm this? I guess it might be 5 XP?

Yes it's true, and you are correct it is 5xp.

XP doesn't impact your skill points though.

This is true, but on the other hand it's an indication that you are doing something right. Plus you can still earn front foot skill from doing so AFAIK.

Thanks for the response, however i am positive the right keypad is working.

is there something i am missing here maybe something i need to activate?

thanks

There is a window of time in which you can do this - it has to be before the bowler starts his run up.

Users who are viewing this thread