Best of the 500 club

Ryand

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
There are four bowlers in the 500 club.So who is the best of them?

Here are their wickets against each country
Player Name AUS BAN ENG IND NZL PAK RSA SRL WIN ZIM
Courtney Walsh 135 - 145 65 43 63 51 8 - 9
Muttiah Muralitharan 50 20 69 51 52 68 82 - 60 87
Shane Warne - - 138 43 103 90 101 59 49 6
Glenn McGrath - 5 122 51 57 80 49 37 97 6

Important fact
Against BAN & ZIM
Walsh has taken 9 wickets
Murali has taken 107 wickets
Warne has taken 6 wickets
McGrath has taken 11 wickets

Last edited:
wow.... so many of muralis wickets are agianst zim \ bang..... i never knew that... so considering those statistics i would have to say the best of the 4 would have to be.......

glenn McGrath

It would a choice between McGrath and Warne. But I prefer fast bowling, so it will be McGrath for me.

Fast bowling-Mcgrath
Spin-Murali
Murali's wickets against Bang,would be the same as warne's,if he had played more test against them.You can only bowl to the team that you are against.Murali has managed to take 500,in a lot better time than warne,so that does it for me.And Warne is an absolute prick.

Glen McGrath,because I prefer Pace bowling to Spin.

Walsh cuz he...... was way better then Glen McGrath, and was the first b4 any bowler to get 500

Last edited:
McGrath is the best...Wash was good .....but the accuracy of Mcgrath pitching all the time at good length is superb !!..Though he dosent have that pace ..or very rearely bowl a bouncer .....he has the line which restricts even the runs... specially in One day's he bolws maidens ....he bolws in first 10 overs where there are fielding restrictions ...but because of his line ...he gets maidens !!!He is captains bowler !!!

Walsh was just as accurate as McGrath.

Walsh for me. didn't take many vs zim, ban and sri lanka.

Remember lads at one point Zimbabwe have had respectable teams. Flowers, Streak, Blignaut and Ervine of late. Broughton of one of the past. but now they are shambolic yes.

Plus like sachin said you can only bowl against who you are chosen to.

I would say Warnie because leg spin is very difficult to control and he just looks dangerous everytime he plays (except when he is bowling to India). Also, with all the crap he has managed to get himself into...

Muralitharan taking wickets against Bangla and Zimbabwe? I believe I did a comparison of this in the overrated thread. As someone also brought up, the Bangla top and middle order is destroyed by McGrath, Gillespie and Kaspa. As for Walsh, I don't think Bangla had test status at that point. Bangla has additionally played only 1 (or is it 2?) series' against Australia.

Warne bowls Leg Spin which i think troubles the batsmen more than Off Spin. Despite thinking the guy is an idiot, but has a great cricket brain.

I think some guys are more troubled than others (i.e. English guys) by leg spin. Certainly there is an array of variations that must be observed out of the hand, which complicates things. The fact that people say he is nowhere near as good as he once was, but is still great says a lot about just how god damn good he is.

I think that the fact that Murali bowls behind a weaker pace attack on pitches that tend to suit his off spin more than pace certainly works in his favour, but at the same time, a leg spinner like Warne cooperates beautifully with pace bowling, especially in bouncy, pace-conducive conditions, so one can't take much away from Murali's performances or record.

For any good bowler, it's not your fault they suck against you.

Walsh said he would go until he felt his body didn't want to take it. He went to about 38. So if any of these current fellows get there, then we can compare the effort. From what I can see, McGrath takes wickets slightly faster, for slightly less runs and has one more Test 50 and a few less ducks.

I think eventually, history will look fondest on McGrath, in more ways than one.

hard pick between Warne and McGrath they have done so much for the game. Warne probably is the best as he brought leg spin back into the spot light. McGrath followed close behind has shown what you can do with limited pace

Users who are viewing this thread