Bit-depths, Texture Resolutions, and Alpha Channels

Burma's Finest

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Just been doing some playing around with all sorts of resolution issues since I've been working on bats already at 512x1024 and thought I'd post my observations so far.

1) It seems to me that you can only use 32bit .bmp files which include a specified alpha channel. I had problems trying to import them even using Langerrox and Barmyarmy's hexediting trick. Maybe it was just me?! Once I made sure that each .bmp had an alpha channel then there were no problems.

2) There seems to be neither a limit on the resolution size nor on the aspect ratio for textures used. I had previously thought they would have to be power of 2. I haven't fully checked this yet though.

3) In the image below, the pitch, outfield, pitch mat (with altered alpha map), and the bats are all 32bit bmps and are at least double the standard resolutions. For instance the .fsh file for the field is now a whopping 12.5Mb compared with the original 3.2Mb and it runs like a charm.

Attachments

• 32bit_bmp_textures.jpg
    32bit_bmp_textures.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 78
i believe if you mess with the sizes too much it will slow your performance if your card is not of the highest quality. that's what happened to me with fifa on my old computer, it wouldn't run 2g stuff properly

i still dont see any change in the graphics....may be its just me :)

yes even me.
I don't get what ur trying to say too.

It is very known that only 32-bit bmp supports alpha layers.
What do u want to say?

bharat said:
It is very known that only 32-bit bmp supports alpha layers.
What do u want to say?

Yes, I know that it's common knowledge that only 32-bit bmp files support alpha channels. My point was that I had found it impossible to import 32bit textures into the game which didn't have an alpha channel assigned specifically by me. They just wouldn't show up in the game at all.

As for the difference in the graphics, I agree it's very hard to tell from this picture but if you want to see the difference in quality of the bats, for example, then I suggest you look here. I only used this pic because I wanted to point out that everything in the image except kits and stumps could be altered to large resolutions and bit-depths and still run as there had been some debate about this.

BTW, I must have been very tired when I started this thread as I had meant to create it in the downloads forum. COULD A STAFF MEMBER MOVE IT THERE PLEASE? Thanks.

Burma's Finest said:
Yes, I know that it's common knowledge that only 32-bit bmp files support alpha channels. My point was that I had found it impossible to import 32bit textures into the game which didn't have an alpha channel assigned specifically by me. They just wouldn't show up in the game at all.

As for the difference in the graphics, I agree it's very hard to tell from this picture but if you want to see the difference in quality of the bats, for example, then I suggest you look here. I only used this pic because I wanted to point out that everything in the image except kits and stumps could be altered to large resolutions and bit-depths and still run as there had been some debate about this.

BTW, I must have been very tired when I started this thread as I had meant to create it in the downloads forum. COULD A STAFF MEMBER MOVE IT THERE PLEASE? Thanks.
I think i see a difference..not alot though :(

Cowburn199 said:
I think i see a difference..not alot though :(

Just to clarify... the above image is not posted for any wow factor or willy-waving. It's just to point out that the game still runs when you do silly things to the textures' resolutions and set them at 32bit. The willy-waving is in the other thread about bats that I posted a link to. :D

Users who are viewing this thread